• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eats pine pellets

I clean cookie's litter box every day. That's why the pine pellets get dry, is that why he eats it? Should I change it every 2-3 days? So the pine pellets will be soaked with urine and maybe not eat

I clean cookie's litter box every day. That's why the pine pellets get dry, is that why he eats it? Should I change it every 2-3 days? So the pine pellets will be soaked with urine and maybe not eat
Don't they crumble when they get wet? I don't like wood pellets for this reason, we used to use them. Is he eating many of them?

Daily litter tray cleaning is best imo to avoid issues and fly strike, especially as its hot where you are

Don't they crumble when they get wet? I don't like wood pellets for this reason, we used to use them. Is he eating many of them?

Daily litter tray cleaning is best imo to avoid issues and fly strike, especially as its hot where you are

Doesn't disperse too much, he also doesn't eat the wet ones. He only eats dry pine pellets, but because I clean it every day, there is a lot of dry pellets. He doesn't eat most of the pellets but I'm worried he will eventually eat less hay. I'm also worried that he's eating more pellets than usual.
Also, only rodent shavings and pine pellets are sold in Turkey. I have no alternative to using other litter box materials. I bought pellets because it was said in the forum that pine pellets are better than sawdust, do you think I should use sawdust if it continues like this?

Maybe if I don't clean it every day the pellets will get wet and he will eat less?

Doesn't disperse too much, he also doesn't eat the wet ones. He only eats dry pine pellets, but because I clean it every day, there is a lot of dry pellets. He doesn't eat most of the pellets but I'm worried he will eventually eat less hay. I'm also worried that he's eating more pellets than usual.
Also, only rodent shavings and pine pellets are sold in Turkey. I have no alternative to using other litter box materials. I bought pellets because it was said in the forum that pine pellets are better than sawdust, do you think I should use sawdust if it continues like this?

Maybe if I don't clean it every day the pellets will get wet and he will eat less?

No definitely don't use sawdust! Especially pine, it's really bad for them and causes respiratory issues, that's the last thing Cookie needs!

Do you have any products like carefresh? It's a paper bedding, or a rodent bedding over here that's called back 2 nature, that's a compressed paper pellet. We use an off brand carefresh, but I know things aren't always available over there. I wouldn't worry about him eating the odd pellet too much though tbh!

No definitely don't use sawdust! Especially pine, it's really bad for them and causes respiratory issues, that's the last thing Cookie needs!

Do you have any products like carefresh? It's a paper bedding, or a rodent bedding over here that's called back 2 nature, that's a compressed paper pellet. We use an off brand carefresh, but I know things aren't always available over there. I wouldn't worry about him eating the odd pellet too much though tbh!

What? Is it pine shavings or pine pellets causing respiratory problems? Or is the pine itself harmful?

I know compressed papers, but unfortunately they are never sold in Turkey, and there is no brand you mentioned.Even rodent sand is not sold in Turkey, there is only sawdust or pellets, both of them are pine. I have no other alternative :(

Ugh I'm going crazy now. How will I find something suitable for Cookie? I can't find anything for cookie, what country is this :cry:

I look like an idiot but my english is not enough to understand it right now. Pine pellet is both good and not?
Nope it's me typing too quickly [emoji38][emoji38] not you at all!

Pellets are okay

Sawdust /shavings are not!

Sorry Evelyn needed an emergency bath [emoji38] but I. Didn't wanna no reply and you worry

Nope it's me typing too quickly [emoji38][emoji38] not you at all!

Pellets are okay

Sawdust /shavings are not!

Sorry Evelyn needed an emergency bath [emoji38] but I. Didn't wanna no reply and you worry

Oh thank you so much. This is a very, very kind, very thoughtful act, thank you so much. :)
Now I want to move to Europe for the most Cookie, he will definitely have better stuff and climate.

Oh thank you so much. This is a very, very kind, very thoughtful act, thank you so much. :)
Now I want to move to Europe for the most Cookie, he will definitely have better stuff and climate.
No worries, sorry for the confusion [emoji38][emoji38]

You know you could always just put some newspaper(or paper towels) down and hay on top for his litter tray and skip the pellets completely! As you change it daily it'd be fine.

When Atticus gets unwell he eats our paper litter pellets (looking for fibre I think) which is obviously the last thing he needs at that point, anyway we remove them and literally just put hay in his tray until he's better!

Can you get puppy pads? I've used them (with hay on top) for several rabbits and never had any eat them. They do work out more expensive though.

No worries, sorry for the confusion [emoji38][emoji38]

You know you could always just put some newspaper(or paper towels) down and hay on top for his litter tray and skip the pellets completely! As you change it daily it'd be fine.

When Atticus gets unwell he eats our paper litter pellets (looking for fibre I think) which is obviously the last thing he needs at that point, anyway we remove them and literally just put hay in his tray until he's better!

Really? I didn't know that, I always thought I had to use pellets. Doesn't he eat the newspaper, paint or something? Or is a4 white paper harmful? Frankly, in this case, I can consider using newspaper or paper, but does it absorb well, does it smell?

I was going to suggest newspaper too, with hay on top. I used a low sided under bed storage box for my bunnies.

Mine always eat these [emoji38][emoji38]

:lol: I switched my guinea pigs to fleece (specially made, double layered wicking fleece) and use puppy pads as the absorbent layer underneath and was sure the guinea's would eat them as they just try to eat everything but they don't touch them, I must be very lucky :lol:

Newspaper, A4 white paper, dog pad, are these good options?
Idk about a4 paper, I'd think this wouldn't be great at absorbing though! Newspaper is fine, and when I said paper towels, I mean like kitchen towel? Idk what you call it. Puppy pads are fine as long as he doesn't eat it!

The puppy pads will do a great absorption job so if he's not a destructive bun who chews things they're your best bet. Obviously if he eats bits, he's eating plastic.. Which isn't good at all.

Newpaper will do good, it's not gunna absorb like the pellets but it will absorb and the hay on top means he won't ever be sitting in pee etc. It works well ime! You could just try it out for a week and see what happens, can always go back to the pellets, or try something else :)

Back