Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit litter

Default Rabbit litter

Would you use this?

https://smallpetselect.co.uk/product...0aAhD1EALw_wcB

Atm we are using back 2 nature and carefresh which is quite expensive.

There are wood pellets on eBay cheap but they are pine and thatís gotta be the same as the shavings producing phenol you reckon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also are people still using fitch and if so where is cheapest to buy?

I don't think I'd use anything scented. If they don't like the lavender scent they won't be able to get away from it, since they'll still have to use their litter tray.
    (Pronouns: he or they)

Warren Veteran

I am using Ecoshiv now. It's hemp (finely chopped up stems), comes as a big bale, lasts for ages. Unscented, not totally dust-free due the nature of the product, but not bad. It's not as absorbent as some litters but it works for me. Liquid tends to drain through the product but it doesn't pool underneath - so must get absorbed to some degree. As I compost all the rabbit waste, this is quite useful stuff as it's untreated.

I still use a small amount of paper based litter for the chipmunk litter boxes. I can't find any unscented stuff now, either.

Don't think I'd use scented either, Ive always used wood litter pellets for our rabbits litter

Back2Nature is the same as Breeder Celect Cheaper in the 30L bags usually (IIRC B2N wasn't available so large). Can't help with Fitch. I wouldn't use anything cented, and mine eat lavender so might eat it.
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her/any.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

I wouldn't use anything scented either. I have tried small pets selects white bedding (but not scented).
    It was extremely dusty, I couldn't use it and had to throw it all away. Don't know if it was just a bad batch or if it always is like this. They claim to be 99 percent dust free...

I use wood litter for my bunnies with uneaten hay on top to encourage Lillabelle to use the litter trays. Plus it saves wasting the hay. Lillabelle has a habit of peeing on the hay that I give them to eat!

Can I ask why some of you don't use wood litter? Is there any reason why not please?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    Would you use this?

https://smallpetselect.co.uk/product...0aAhD1EALw_wcB

Atm we are using back 2 nature and carefresh which is quite expensive.

There are wood pellets on eBay cheap but they are pine and thatís gotta be the same as the shavings producing phenol you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtiggerz69 View Post
    I use wood litter for my bunnies with uneaten hay on top to encourage Lillabelle to use the litter trays. Plus it saves wasting the hay. Lillabelle has a habit of peeing on the hay that I give them to eat!

Can I ask why some of you don't use wood litter? Is there any reason why not please?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
    Wood shavings arenít recommended as they release phenols and can cause respiratory problems. I always used wood pellet cat litter or horse bedding as litter for the rabbits and now the goats, without issues. As I have researched the heat treatment used to make them removes the phenol apparently. See here https://www.pawmore.com/are-wood-sto...or-cat-litter/

I wouldnít use the scented stuff personally.

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

Opens thread wondering how Maple had managed to have babies

Leaves thread realising another Senior Moment has occurred for me……

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !