• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit litter

Also are people still using fitch and if so where is cheapest to buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I'd use anything scented. If they don't like the lavender scent they won't be able to get away from it, since they'll still have to use their litter tray.

I am using Ecoshiv now. It's hemp (finely chopped up stems), comes as a big bale, lasts for ages. Unscented, not totally dust-free due the nature of the product, but not bad. It's not as absorbent as some litters but it works for me. Liquid tends to drain through the product but it doesn't pool underneath - so must get absorbed to some degree. As I compost all the rabbit waste, this is quite useful stuff as it's untreated.

I still use a small amount of paper based litter for the chipmunk litter boxes. I can't find any unscented stuff now, either.

Back2Nature is the same as Breeder Celect :thumb: Cheaper in the 30L bags usually (IIRC B2N wasn't available so large). Can't help with Fitch. I wouldn't use anything cented, and mine eat lavender so might eat it.

I wouldn't use anything scented either. I have tried small pets selects white bedding (but not scented).
It was extremely dusty, I couldn't use it and had to throw it all away. Don't know if it was just a bad batch or if it always is like this. They claim to be 99 percent dust free...

I use wood litter for my bunnies with uneaten hay on top to encourage Lillabelle to use the litter trays. Plus it saves wasting the hay. Lillabelle has a habit of peeing on the hay that I give them to eat!

Can I ask why some of you don't use wood litter? Is there any reason why not please?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Would you use this?

https://smallpetselect.co.uk/produc...q_yVkZlNOp3Fr7zDaA6c_khS5qKBivZ0aAhD1EALw_wcB

Atm we are using back 2 nature and carefresh which is quite expensive.

There are wood pellets on eBay cheap but they are pine and that’s gotta be the same as the shavings producing phenol you reckon?

I use wood litter for my bunnies with uneaten hay on top to encourage Lillabelle to use the litter trays. Plus it saves wasting the hay. Lillabelle has a habit of peeing on the hay that I give them to eat!

Can I ask why some of you don't use wood litter? Is there any reason why not please?

Wood shavings aren’t recommended as they release phenols and can cause respiratory problems. I always used wood pellet cat litter or horse bedding as litter for the rabbits and now the goats, without issues. As I have researched the heat treatment used to make them removes the phenol apparently. See here https://www.pawmore.com/are-wood-stove-pellets-safe-for-cat-litter/

I wouldn’t use the scented stuff personally.

Opens thread wondering how Maple had managed to have babies :shock:

Leaves thread realising another Senior Moment has occurred for me……:roll:

I had a look on the rwaf and they had done useful information. I have ordered some megazorb to try as they said it is safe and also very cheap!

This is what I read yesterday

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/bedding-and-litter/

Hope you get on ok with Megazorb, I used it in the past for guineas and hamsters no problems. Some people used to say it had a smell but I never thought so! I gave up on Fitch since the out of stock/price raise and when I no longer had gerbils as it used to hold their tunnels really well.

Hope you get on ok with Megazorb, I used it in the past for guineas and hamsters no problems. Some people used to say it had a smell but I never thought so! I gave up on Fitch since the out of stock/price raise and when I no longer had gerbils as it used to hold their tunnels really well.
I hate the smell of it! It's good tho and nice and absorbant. Annoyingly small pieces though that scatter everywhere [emoji38]

Wood shavings aren’t recommended as they release phenols and can cause respiratory problems. I always used wood pellet cat litter or horse bedding as litter for the rabbits and now the goats, without issues. As I have researched the heat treatment used to make them removes the phenol apparently. See here https://www.pawmore.com/are-wood-stove-pellets-safe-for-cat-litter/

I wouldn’t use the scented stuff personally.
Thank you. I use wood litter for horse bedding so that should hopefully be fine. I get it at the local horse feed shop xx

I used to use megazorb & its defo the cheapest of the litters I've tried - not so much on line but if there are are any horsey feed places local? Ours used to be 6.25 a bag. I use whatever these days. J&B on wood cat litter at mo, Mousey is on carefresh cos she is special.

Megazorb does smell a bit sicky to me in the way some paper does. Pop your mask on & once the hay is on top you'll not notice

Thank you. I use wood litter for horse bedding so that should hopefully be fine. I get it at the local horse feed shop xx

Wood based pellets are fine. I've been using them for many years, think the op mistook what you meant by thinking you meant wood shavings

Wood-based cat litter pellets are also heat processed which removes the harmful oils and phenols and therefore do not pose a risk of skin and lung irritation. For the sleeping areas of outside rabbits we recommend that these pellets are used with a covering of straw for warmth and comfort. Always read the label because at least one brand contains silicon which should be avoided

Last edited:
Back