• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mischief and Lillabelle-2nd attempt

I haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet. I have just been busy doing usual change of litter trays and stuff plus I have also set up an area for Mischief outside the puppy pen with litter tray/water/hay/toys for when we have to seperate them.

I think I have sussed it really as it means we don't have to mess about taking apart the puppy pen and setting up cages. We can just take Mischief out the pen and leave him to free roam in the bedroom. The only down side is that at night when we are asleep he sometimes jumps on our heads!! [emoji23]

The situation has changed slightly between them. I don't know why it suddenly starts as bunnies can be very subtle in their communication but Lillabelle suddenly runs off with Mischief chasing her around the puppy pen. Then it stops again. I will watch them closely to try and get clues as to why the chasing starts. I presume Mischief is telling her he is boss.

Also Mischief is sniffing Lillabelle's rear end a lot so I imagine she is starting to give off a scent due to coming into season or similar. I don't know though if bunnies have seasons or are they in season permanently? I will have to read up on this.

Zoobec, I will watch the videos tonight hopefully. I do have a headache and eye pain at the moment so will do my best. I don't know why I didn't think to look for a sticky thread on bonding. I have read other info given to me and watched some videos on Youtube but I should have thought to look for info on here. At least I can read up more on it now thank you! xx

My poor OH has to sleep with the light on from now on so I can see what is going on with these two. I don't want to be feeling my way about in darkness if they kick off and end up being bitten.

So at least now I have an idea of whst to do...they will be kept together unless they are obviously fighting. If they start to spin around really quick in a tornado or Lillabelle starts humping Mischief's head I will intervene with a broom. If they are really looking like they are fighting I will seperate them to calm down for the night.

I have a broom, gloves and water spray ready in case! [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

You're ready for the rabbit war, all guns ok gloves, water, broom :lol: :lol:

Zoobec- I have read the links that you gave me but I can't seem to be able to watch the videos! It comes up with 'no app able to handle this procedure' when I press the video link. Is there a way I can watch these somehow please?

After reading the posts I have realised that all the actions Mischief and Lillabelle do are under 'normal' behaviour which has made me feel ultra happy! I realise I need to let them get on with it as they are just establishing who is boss.

After some chasing tonight I found a tuft of Lillabelle's fur so I guess there was some fur pulling while I was in the kitchen. I heard noise and rushed back in to see Mischief chasing Lillabelle.

Also is a fight when they lie on their sides going round really fast a 'bunny tornado' then? I watched Youtube videos and they showed a bunny tornado as them chasing each others tails around really fast. Which one is it please?

Even without the videos I feel muvh more knowledgeable but the videos would be really useful to watch.

Tonight since the couple of chasing episodes they are very quiet. Lillabelle has been grooming Mischief quite a bit on his back, shoulders and even his ears! And they are currently lying together nose to nose. So things don't seem quite so bad after all *touches wood* lol.

Thank you for sharing these posts and look forward to (hopefully) watching those videos soon too xx

You're ready for the rabbit war, all guns ok gloves, water, broom [emoji38] [emoji38]
Yes I am! They are within grabbing distance [emoji38]

However they are really settled tonight after I have spent all that time sorting out a new area for Mischief in our bedroom! Not that I am complaining! I am so glad I haven't had to seperate them as yet *crosses fingers and toes* xx

The videos mischief and tinkers mum posted should still work for you, they come up as YouTube links for me. I know they are on group bonds but they are very good at showing normal bonding behaviour and how to respond. I know bonding can be very stressful and can be disheartening at times but I’m sure you will get there. I once had to intervene quickly and unexpectedly in a bond of a few days because somebunny decided to have a go at humping the other when previously it had been the other way round, and all hell suddenly broke lose :shock: they reared up and were having a right go so I picked up a dustpan and slid it between them, and just as quickly as it started it was all over again and they were friends!

It may be my phone actually. It is an old one and there is not much space on it. When I press the link for the videos it comes up with 'no app found to handle action' so I don't know what's going on there! [emoji53] It's annoying as I want to watch them! Is it possible to tell me the link to go direct to Youtube please? I can go on Youtube ok.

Just like your bunnies Mischief and Lillabelle are best of friends when she is not being told off! All hell breaks loose here aswell all of a sudden and just as quickly it fizzles out.

It has been a quiet night with nothing to report. However I had to let them out for a run as they were sitting at the gate waiting and Mischief kept biting the blanket and the puppy pen bars.

Pretty much as soon as I let them out though Lillabelle tried to hump Mischief and he chased her off and they sped like rockets around the bedroom. I decided it would be easier to intervene if needed if they were in the puppy pen as I can't see what is happening under the bed. They will have to go without a run today. If they get really fizzy (more Lillabelle really) I will have to let them out separately for now I think.

A minute after they were in the puppy pen again Lillabelle started humping Mischief again. Another chase kicked off with Mischief chasing her around the puppy pen again. 2 more chases have happened after that and I heard Mischief growl aswell. Lillabelle has 2 tufts of fur sticking out from where he has nipped at her.

After each chase that lasts a few seconds only they sit away from each other and after a while Lillabelle goes over to Mischief and lies down next to him. She has also groomed him a couple of times. Now they are eating hay together happily as if nothing has happened.

I'm keeping on high alert ready to move in and stop them if necessary but so far the chases have stopped on their own accord. I need to get in the shower in a while and then get some sleep as I have been watching them all night. Much as I don't want to I will need to separate them for that as I don't trust them alone together. It is usually their nap time in the day anyway.

It seems as if Lillabelle is getting frisky and humping Mischief due to her hormones rather than pushing for dominance as she is so submissive the rest of the time but I may be wrong. She could be challenging and then gives in and starts grooming him to placate him after he tells her off for all I know!

There is a battle going on where she bows her head and he pushes his head under hers as if to say ' No do me! I'm the boss over you!' [emoji38] It is very interesting to watch them actually! xx

I have changed my mind and am not going to separate them unless they are obviously fighting as otherwise they will have to start the bonding process all over again!

I will only step in if the chasing goes on too long, Lillabelle is humping his head or it is escalating really quickly into a possible fight as Lillabelle won't back down. So far Lillabelle is running away so I will let them work it out.

Mischief has flopped on his side for a sleep now so hopefully it will be quiet now [emoji4] xx

I have changed my mind and am not going to separate them unless they are obviously fighting as otherwise they will have to start the bonding process all over again!

I will only step in if the chasing goes on too long, Lillabelle is humping his head or it is escalating really quickly into a possible fight as Lillabelle won't back down. So far Lillabelle is running away so I will let them work it out.

Mischief has flopped on his side for a sleep now so hopefully it will be quiet now [emoji4] xx

I am sure you will always make the right decision for your rabbits, you are their mother. Who knows better than you. I hope everything goes smoothly and you are relieved after neutering. :)

I cant remember if I have said this already on here but Snowflake (male 9 years old) chases his doe, Dusty (6 years old) every food time. I always feed them before all other animals in the pet room and make sure that they have a pile of food each pkus some ectra piles.

He leaves her alone within seconds and they eat calmly together.

I often see tufts of Dusty's grey fur in the pen and they did fall out recently (going round and round in a ball) but after being apart for about a week Dusty managed to break into Snowflake's pen and they have been fine since. She broke in at night so by the time I saw them they had probably been together a good few hours. Best stress free bond ever!

P-20210206-161239.jpg

Last edited:
I am sure you will always make the right decision for your rabbits, you are their mother. Who knows better than you. I hope everything goes smoothly and you are relieved after neutering. :)
Thank you! They have stopped chasing each other since and for now they are happy and peaceful [emoji4] xx

I cant remember if I have said this already on here but Snowflake (male 9 years old) chases his doe, Dusty (6 years old) every food time. I always feed them before all other animals in the pet room and make sure that they have a pile of food each pkus some ectra piles.

He leaves her alone within seconds and they eat calmly together.

I often see tufts of Dusty's grey fur in the pen and they did fall out recently (going round and round in a ball) but after being apart for about a week Dusty managed to break into Snowflake's pen and they have been fine since. She broke in at night so by the time I saw them they had probably been together a good few hours. Best stress free bond ever!

P-20210206-161239.jpg
Awww that's really sweet. They obviously had to be together! Cute photo of them! [emoji173]

Lillabelle has been humping Mischief a lot again. We try not to intervene but often she humps his head and so we stop them then. Sometimes he chases her but often he just lets her do it. If he does chase her it is just a quick run around then he stops. I don't think he is fast enough! Then they are back to lying together straightaway.

We have just noticed that the carpet is wet and so is Mischief. I wondered if possibly she was peeing but ? Not sure how we can prevent this except getting her spayed though. She is only 20 weeks old so we have weeks of this yet!

They are totally loved up otherwise though. They are never apart. It is very sweet to see them [emoji173]

I will try and get photos. I'm getting my new phone this week! [emoji3]

Last edited:
It sounds like it is a normal bonding situation. Are they on carpet then? As all my bunnies would have wee on anything soft like that. And once they have they will tend to keep weeing on it. If you can soak it up and get the smell neutralised with White vinegar and water mixed 50/50 it might help. I’m afraid litter training goes out of the window when bonding :lol: and also when they are hormonal.

It sounds like it is a normal bonding situation. Are they on carpet then? As all my bunnies would have wee on anything soft like that. And once they have they will tend to keep weeing on it. If you can soak it up and get the smell neutralised with White vinegar and water mixed 50/50 it might help. I’m afraid litter training goes out of the window when bonding [emoji38] and also when they are hormonal.
They are on blankets and sheets in their puppy pen and under the bed (where Mr C has always liked to lie) but carpet in rest of the bedroom.

Yes I have noticed Lillabelle wees and poops everywhere! Even Mischief has been pooping a bit now (probably as she does). We do use vinegar though but thank you. It doesn't stop her but gets the smell out to a degree.

Mischief is really patient with her really. She has moments when she keeps trying to hump him and he puts up with it until she lies right over him [emoji38]

Back