• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus qs

Graciee

Staff member
So he has wetter than usual splats and liquid diarrhoea.. Which is unusual to just randomly happen..

What normally happens is he basically gets a dry blockage, stops eating etc then we rehydrate the blockage and he passes it eventually and passes a load of liquid stuff... But that's after loads and loads of medications!

He's not had any meds.. And he's still eating.. But I've never had this happen before without first him having treatment.. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

I'm not really sure what to do tbh, he's okay in himself, I'm wondering if i should give him some fibre plex paste..

Anyway anyone seen anything like this before? He has megacolon. TIA x

This is what happens to Lord H. Only very rarely now thank goodness. He has very loud gut sounds too and you can see exaggerated peristaltic waves if you look at his abdomen.

Giving Fibreplex won’t do any harm, but it might not do any good.

With Lord H I feed him just hay and water for 48 hours, maybe with some bramble leaves too. My theory is that the gut motility goes into overdrive due to a neurological reason to do with the innervation of the guts.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm sending too many vibrations for atticus :( xxxxxx

This is what happens to Lord H. Only very rarely now thank goodness. He has very loud gut sounds too and you can see exaggerated peristaltic waves if you look at his abdomen.

Giving Fibreplex won’t do any harm, but it might not do any good.

With Lord H I feed him just hay and water for 48 hours, maybe with some bramble leaves too. My theory is that the gut motility goes into overdrive due to a neurological reason to do with the innervation of the guts.

Thanks Jane, so he only has water and hay anyway, so nothing need to change there. Hopefully it'll settle down, I'll keep an eye on him, can always ring William, I just wasn't sure the best course of action rn tbh, like he seems fine. It's just weird output. I'll hold off on fibre plex and leave him alone with the hay.

Yea he's got the big belly waves going on atm. Do you know what caused Lord H to get this? Its weird, for Atticus it was after that traumatic time he had just after his neuter with the reaction to the vetergesic.. So I think it was definitely something neurological related which happened and triggered all of this.

Sending beautiful Atticus loads of vibes and hoping that his tummy will soon improve.

Thanks Jane, so he only has water and hay anyway, so nothing need to change there. Hopefully it'll settle down, I'll keep an eye on him, can always ring William, I just wasn't sure the best course of action rn tbh, like he seems fine. It's just weird output. I'll hold off on fibre plex and leave him alone with the hay.

Yea he's got the big belly waves going on atm. Do you know what caused Lord H to get this? Its weird, for Atticus it was after that traumatic time he had just after his neuter with the reaction to the vetergesic.. So I think it was definitely something neurological related which happened and triggered all of this.

We think Lord H has dysautonomia.

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/nervous-system/dysautonomia/leporine-dysautonomia

His GI tract and heart are effected.

Sorry I've missed this thread Graciee, sending a million vibes for your boy. I've no experience of this so can't offer any advice xx

Back