Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Separation anxiety

  1. #1

    Default Separation anxiety

    I've been thinking, now things are starting to get a bit more normal, it's likely my partner and I are going to be required to return to our respective offices for at least part of the time. We've been working from home since we got our buns past year.

    Our bunnies are fully bonded with each other and don't really rely on us for anything more than food, water and cleaning which we will obviously still be able to provide with a slight change of schedule.

    I do think they like us being around though or at least used to us being around all day (they have seemed a bit confused when I go out for longer than an hour or so, even though my partner is still with them).

    They're completely free roam and we have never left them alone for longer than a couple of hours. I do feel that us returning to the offices, even if it's just for 1 or 2 days a week might upset them a little.

    We've discussed it and are hoping we can arrange things so at least one of us will be home with them each day. However there may be days where we both need to go to the office or we might fancy a day out somewhere, if the weather ever gets better!

    I might just be being overly worried and will probably end up having more separation anxiety than the buns! Has anyone else had to start leaving their buns for work or have any advice? Or am I just being silly 😂

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,591

    Default

    In all honesty, yes, I think you are worrying unnecessarily. sophie sausage & joey beans will be fine i reckon. it'll mainly be snoozy time & they have each other .

    I did refuse to get work early - mid 2020 though - had a bun in renal failure that needed lots of care. I'm a wee bit anxious about leaving my old & disabled solo bun to find work now - short shifts & keeping travel to minimum is my main search criteria

  3. #3
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,894

    Default

    Of I have this anxiety. I worry when I go out for a few hours and leave Cookie alone at home. I'm thinking the same thing, I wonder if this confuses Cookie? Do the rabbits think we abandoned them?

  4. #4
    Warren Veteran InspectorMorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    9,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage&Beans View Post
    I've been thinking, now things are starting to get a bit more normal, it's likely my partner and I are going to be required to return to our respective offices for at least part of the time. We've been working from home since we got our buns past year.

    Our bunnies are fully bonded with each other and don't really rely on us for anything more than food, water and cleaning which we will obviously still be able to provide with a slight change of schedule.

    I do think they like us being around though or at least used to us being around all day (they have seemed a bit confused when I go out for longer than an hour or so, even though my partner is still with them).

    They're completely free roam and we have never left them alone for longer than a couple of hours. I do feel that us returning to the offices, even if it's just for 1 or 2 days a week might upset them a little.

    We've discussed it and are hoping we can arrange things so at least one of us will be home with them each day. However there may be days where we both need to go to the office or we might fancy a day out somewhere, if the weather ever gets better!

    I might just be being overly worried and will probably end up having more separation anxiety than the buns! Has anyone else had to start leaving their buns for work or have any advice? Or am I just being silly 😂
    They are a bonded pair. They rely on each other for all the company they need. Bonded pairs/ groups of Rabbits do not need human company .As long as their feeding regime remains the same I am afraid they won’t care if you are there all the time or not !!


    ‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

  5. #5
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    42,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    They are a bonded pair. They rely on each other for all the company they need. Bonded pairs/ groups of Rabbits do not need human company .As long as their feeding regime remains the same I am afraid they won’t care if you are there all the time or not !!
    Absolutely this! If you are worried and want to check on them anytime you could get an IP camera, they are great for peace of mind imo. I’m sure they will be fine though, and won’t miss you at all!

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,894

    Default

    Is that true for a lone rabbit like Cookie? How is the situation then?

  7. #7
    Warren Veteran InspectorMorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    9,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    Is that true for a lone rabbit like Cookie? How is the situation then?
    Lone Rabbits do get lonely. That is why it is advised that Pet Rabbits are always housed in pairs or groups.


    ‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

  8. #8
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Lone Rabbits do get lonely. That is why it is advised that Pet Rabbits are always housed in pairs or groups.
    I know I learned a lot on this forum. What I'm wondering is, normally Cookie is with us but does she get upset when we go somewhere? Does he think we abandoned him?

  9. #9
    Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    They are a bonded pair. They rely on each other for all the company they need. Bonded pairs/ groups of Rabbits do not need human company .As long as their feeding regime remains the same I am afraid they won’t care if you are there all the time or not !!
    I'm pretty sure my two would be more than happy if I got replaced by a robotic food dispenser!

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    I'm pretty sure my two would be more than happy if I got replaced by a robotic food dispenser!
    my pair too My boy would be so much happier if he didn't have to listen to my rendition of Jolene (sing Joey obv) every afternoon in exchange for a few leaves

    My old & solo Mousey though - her little face lights up when Bob when comes home & her head bobs about until he has lay on the floor to give her kisses & strokes. So sad

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •