• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lopsy p70 better, woohoo!

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
He's fine now, but for about 15mins around 6pm he was manically chewing (sideways motions), making lots of drool which he mostly swallowed, and making a what looked like retching motion with his whole front half: it's hard to describe, his ears went right back and he sort of convulsed forward. I know rabbits can't vomit etc., so our only thought was that he got something stuck? He wasn't distressed at all, he seemed to know what he was doing I guess? Afterwards, he seemed quite tired and spent more time chewing, same as you or me would if we got something stuck I suppose :lol: A couple of hours later, he was more contemplative and chewy and he's been like that loads of times (so out of sorts but not too much), so maybe this is what causes that off-ness?

Anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Last edited:
I've never seen it before and have no knowledge. Honestly I would still consider a vet visit. I hope Lopsy isn't sick, I'm sending too many vibrations for Lopsy. Xxxxx

It sounds like he semi choked and when this happens Rabbits can aspirate the food they choke on. This then leads to aspiration pneumonia. Having a Vet listen to his lungs this morning would be what I would want to do as if there are abnormal lung sounds a precautionary course of abx would be needed.

Also, the Vet can check for any potential cause of the choke eg Dental problems

Hope he is OK

Sorry to hear about Lopsys episode last night, really hope everything is ok this morning, must have been scary

Thanks everyone :) He's back to normal-for-Lopsy :lol:

It sounds like he semi choked and when this happens Rabbits can aspirate the food they choke on. This then leads to aspiration pneumonia. Having a Vet listen to his lungs this morning would be what I would want to do as if there are abnormal lung sounds a precautionary course of abx would be needed.

Also, the Vet can check for any potential cause of the choke eg Dental problems

Hope he is OK
That's really helpful, thankyou Jane. I always said one day he'd choke himself XD I'll give him a listen myself and if he sounds anything different, we'll pop to the vets. He's a lot less stressed by the vets these days so shouldn't be too troublesome for him :) He was last there 3wks ago and clean bill of health then (as J&B would say, passed MOT with flying colours!), albeit he's a bit older and showing his age but he ain't doing bad for 8.5 :)

It feels like a long time since I had a bun fly through their MOT:lol:

Good to hear Lopsy is doing OK, extra forage rations earned!

I'm glad he's back to normal (for Lopsy :lol:) today. :love: And that's great that he got a clean bill of health three weeks ago! :D I agree with j&b; Lopsy deserves some extra forage after his misadventure!

He got extra apple todaym, and over the weekend all their forage was indoors because it was so wet here: we've let them outside (of their usual area) for the first time in ages, as it's actually dry today and I'm not faffing around in the garage etc. getting in their way :lol: Their binky space is full of foragey bits though so I'm expecting to go outside to a scene of Chibbstruction later: she'll have chewed all the sticky-up sticks off I expect :lol:

I'm glad Lopsy looks good. We had the same thing with Cookie last week, Cookie was so excited about the drug. Then the medicine got into Cookie's throat, he felt like he was choking, but after a few minutes it was all right. But I followed Jane's advice and took him to the vet 1 day later. And indeed Cookie appeared to have suffocation fluid in his lungs, whereas Cookie was behaving normally. And the cookie was treated with a diuretic. I would still highly recommend you get a vet check. :|

He's no-food chewing again today, so off to the vets in the morning. Appetite normal, eating normal (maybe more chewing but nothing immediately worrying, i.e. emergency wise), and the no-food chewing is much more like normal chewing, not as pronounced side-to-side as before. It's not constant (might even be lucky I caught it). I gave him a 'heavy pettings' (I call it that because it makes me laugh): he likes a good 'rough' stroke, lots of weight and contact :) He started something that was very in between toothpurring and grinding :roll: Then didn't want the first thing I offered him (a bit of a rough deal item anyway) but did want the second, and when I came back from calling the vet he was covered in hay :lol:

Apart from his not-always clean insides-of-arms and under-chin, his overall fur seems a bit off as well. Not all over, but patchily a bit rougher.

He's DEFINITELY showing his 8.5yrs, poor little old man :love: He was absolutely DESTROYING his apple sticks today when he wasn't following the sun :D I think he's doing alright in himself :D

I hope that Lopsy gets on well tomorrow and importantly that the vet has some idea of what is causing it. It's not something I have ever come across and I will be interested to know what their thoughts are.

Back