Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Keeping branches fresh?

  1. #1

    Default Keeping branches fresh?

    Yes, another thread by me. My dad brought over a big bundle of pear branches from his tree for Casper and Sophie, but it'll take a while for them to get through them. Is there a way I can keep them fresh(-ish), or will they go bad after a while?
    (Pronouns: he or they)


  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    22,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    Yes, another thread by me. My dad brought over a big bundle of pear branches from his tree for Casper and Sophie, but it'll take a while for them to get through them. Is there a way I can keep them fresh(-ish), or will they go bad after a while?
    The thickish branches we stand in a bucket of water and keep them outside, so on your balcony would be fine. The smaller pieces we wrap in a large plastic bag. The idea being to stop them from drying too quickly. I imagine the branches have leaves on at this time of the year, so, after feeding some branches with leaves, I would remove the rest and feed them separately, keeping them again in a plastic bag. If you don't remove them, they will die and drop off after a few days.

    What a treat for them

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    20,592

    Default

    Ohhh lucky Casper & Sophie. Its nice to read Omi's keeping fresh tips. when we get a haul of my inlaws i've always just left them in a box & they do get less tasty over time because of it. Next batch I'll try & keep them fresh as above

  4. #4
    Warren Scout Preitler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    331

    Default

    I dry leaves as crunchy treats, i would think that they will spoil if you keep them wet in stale air, it's perfect conditions for mold.

  5. #5
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    The thickish branches we stand in a bucket of water and keep them outside, so on your balcony would be fine. The smaller pieces we wrap in a large plastic bag. The idea being to stop them from drying too quickly. I imagine the branches have leaves on at this time of the year, so, after feeding some branches with leaves, I would remove the rest and feed them separately, keeping them again in a plastic bag. If you don't remove them, they will die and drop off after a few days.

    What a treat for them
    That's interesting! I always do a cardboard box/paper bag rather than plastic because I was worried about them sweating or going gross.. Maybe I was over thinking it

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,263

    Default

    I would air dry any branches / leaves that are not going to be eaten immediately. They keep well in paper bags or cardboard boxes (anything from cereal boxes to Amazon delivery boxes). I wouldn't store them in plastic - it's difficult to get them to a commercial level of dryness that would stop them sweating and going mouldy.

  7. #7

    Default

    Thank you for your replies, everyone! Everybody seems to do it differently! I think keeping them in a bucket of water outside, like Omi said, will probably work best in this case, because I don't have a cardboard box or paper bag large enough. The branches are all about 80 - 100 cm long, so they're quite big! My dad had already removed all the leaves before bringing them over, probably not realising that bunnies can eat leaves, but that's okay; I got dried pear leaves in my last dried forage order and Sophie doesn't like them, and Casper used to like them but doesn't anymore now!
    (Pronouns: he or they)


  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    22,616

    Default

    Whether they go mouldy or not in plastic would depend I think on two things, how many there are and how long they are to be kept. It works for me because sticks with leaves and also leaves alone go quite quickly here and so I guess there just isn't the quantity nor the prolonged storage time. Also my bunnies have always prefered fresh to dry. When I collect a quantity of Bramble leaves I also store them in a plastic bag in the fridge and they keep well.

  9. #9
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Whether they go mouldy or not in plastic would depend I think on two things, how many there are and how long they are to be kept. It works for me because sticks with leaves and also leaves alone go quite quickly here and so I guess there just isn't the quantity nor the prolonged storage time. Also my bunnies have always prefered fresh to dry. When I collect a quantity of Bramble leaves I also store them in a plastic bag in the fridge and they keep well.
    That makes sense - I store mine for a few months to last over winter, so I need something suitable for bulk, long term storage, hence the boxes.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •