• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone Got the Latest Issue of Rabbiting On ?

Some Rescues are reporting a drop in enquiries about Lops for rehoming :cry: I realise this might not have been the intention of the latest RWAF Campaing, but it is inevitable that if people are told that Lops are going to have health problems then people are going to be reluctant to take them on as Pets. These Rabbits are already here :cry:
Yea I can't see how this wouldn't happen tbh?

Let's say you want a pair of rabbits for your kids, you know you're taking on pets, but most people don't anticipate spending 100s on vet treatment (wrong probably, but it's how it seems to go) you aren't gunna pick two lops after being told they are more prone to health issues.. I was reluctant to get a nethie because of the likelihood of dental issues if I'm honest, even though I know what I was signing up for and am prepared for it. I know some people would still adopt them (I mean I'm an example of someone who did) but most casual rabbit owners wouldn't ima guess? I mean who wants to deal with health issues? [emoji38]

Yea I can't see how this wouldn't happen tbh?

Let's say you want a pair of rabbits for your kids, you know you're taking on pets, but most people don't anticipate spending 100s on vet treatment (wrong probably, but it's how it seems to go) you aren't gunna pick two lops after being told they are more prone to health issues.. I was reluctant to get a nethie because of the likelihood of dental issues if I'm honest, even though I know what I was signing up for and am prepared for it. I know some people would still adopt them (I mean I'm an example of someone who did) but most casual rabbit owners wouldn't ima guess? I mean who wants to deal with health issues? [emoji38]

The expense of having healthy Rabbits is a big enough deal !! Some Vets are charging over £250 for a spay :shock:

Some Rescues are reporting a drop in enquiries about Lops for rehoming :cry: I realise this might not have been the intention of the latest RWAF Campaing, but it is inevitable that if people are told that Lops are going to have health problems then people are going to be reluctant to take them on as Pets. These Rabbits are already here :cry:

Yes this is Soo true people have already said they will not adopt even a lop rabbit in rescue
So they may never now get a forever loving home. Not all are unhealthy I've had numerous over years so know the mini lop breed well
I horse ride and I do not beat my horse, I do not kick her in the ribs, I didn't not pull on her mouth with reins and bit. This so called vet is making out not just whips but the whole horse riding is for show.
She wants rabbits not to be as pets saying they belong on wild, but that is to late they are here now and been domesticated.
Just like dogs, cats etc. Wolves and foxes are wild animals but dogs and cats domesticated though cats can free roam but still domestic

To top it off I've just found out she is a keen horse rider after all she says against it and she ridden since 7years old. Also she mentions it being more encouraged now then motorbikes. Now does she forget horses where on the road before vehicles

https://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/03_march/23/riding.shtml

Last edited:
Personally I don’t see any of that as extreme. I too wish rabbits were not domesticated. I disagree with many of the practices involved in horse riding too. And of course giant breeds/rexes etc are extreme breeds; they’re as far from a ‘proper’ rabbit as you can get, and suffer as a result.

This is the point I put across on the other breeds when the rwaf and so called ex tv vet published ban on only lops not being shown in rabbitng on etc they failed to mention other breeds rexes, giant a etc
She has only just now turned round and mentioned them since people have brought them up. Yet the rwaf are not putting stop to using their images

Which rescues have reported this? :)

Well theyve lost more member subscribers, there own fault in creating down fall

Anyone who still wants a bunny related magazine I'd highly recommend best4bunny

As much as I want to support RWAF’s opinions on extreme breeding, they are literally getting rid of an opportunity to spread the word on extreme breeding by banning photographs.

They could literally use that platform to inform readers about the health issues that arise from it.

Not only that but why just lops? Why not all other extreme breeds. I’m constantly seeing people with nethies or dwarf lop-eared babies. If people understand that what they are demanding is actually a health hazard to rabbits, then hopefully they’ll stop asking for them. No demand, no breeding.

Well theyve lost more member subscribers, there own fault in creating down fall

Anyone who still wants a bunny related magazine I'd highly recommend best4bunny
I like Best4Bunny, but I do like Rabbiting On more.

As much as I want to support RWAF’s opinions on extreme breeding, they are literally getting rid of an opportunity to spread the word on extreme breeding by banning photographs.

They could literally use that platform to inform readers about the health issues that arise from it.

Not only that but why just lops? Why not all other extreme breeds. I’m constantly seeing people with nethies or dwarf lop-eared babies. If people understand that what they are demanding is actually a health hazard to rabbits, then hopefully they’ll stop asking for them. No demand, no breeding.
I think they are informing readers about the health issues lops are prone to, though? I know I've seen it mentioned a lot in Rabbiting On. I definitely agree with you on not understanding why they're singling out lops, though, and not mentioning other extreme breeds like Nethies, as you mentioned, and rexes, giant breeds, long-haired bunnies... It doesn't make much sense to me to only focus on lops when there are so many breeds that have characteristics that create problems for the bunnies.

I think they are informing readers about the health issues lops are prone to, though? I know I've seen it mentioned a lot in Rabbiting On. I definitely agree with you on not understanding why they're singling out lops, though, and not mentioning other extreme breeds like Nethies, as you mentioned, and rexes, giant breeds, long-haired bunnies... It doesn't make much sense to me to only focus on lops when there are so many breeds that have characteristics that create problems for the bunnies.

They are informjng readers but without photographs?

Just thinking about how the photographs are what draw people in. So if you have a cute picture of a lop, it’ll get a readers attention and then they can be informed. When I adopted a nethie, I didn’t know about the common health issues that come with that, it was only because I follow a few rabbit related accounts on Instagram that spoke out that I got educated.

The rabbit related accounts got so much backlash for speaking out about extreme breeding too.

They are informjng readers but without photographs?

Just thinking about how the photographs are what draw people in. So if you have a cute picture of a lop, it’ll get a readers attention and then they can be informed. When I adopted a nethie, I didn’t know about the common health issues that come with that, it was only because I follow a few rabbit related accounts on Instagram that spoke out that I got educated.

The rabbit related accounts got so much backlash for speaking out about extreme breeding too.
Yeah, like in articles about ear health, they'll talk about these being more common in lops because of their ear shape, but not necessarily with a photo of a lop since it's a general health article. I'm not sure if Rabbiting On is really the best place for this, though, as the average bunny carer who needs to know this information doesn't read it, and most people who do read Rabbiting On probably already know quite a bit about rabbits, so it would be more useful, I think, to put something about extreme breeds on the main page of their website or something, and I agree that it would be best if they'd actually use pictures of lops for that to draw people in.

That's sad that those Instagram accounts got so much backlash for speaking out about extreme breeding. I don't see why it would be bad to be against animals being bred in such a way that it causes problems with their health. Isn't their health more important than looking cute. :?

Back