Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Got the Latest Issue of Rabbiting On ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBee View Post
    Slightly off topic but am curious, Why couldn’t you rescue because of covid?
    Pretty much because of what Shimmer said below. I contacted a couple of local rescues and either didn't get a response as they were closed or was told that they weren't able to adopt out due to the restrictions. This was at the very beginning of the lockdown. I'm hoping things are a bit easier for rescues now!

Looking back on it, I guess I could have waited but I wouldn't change my guys for the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage&Beans View Post
    Pretty much because of what Shimmer said below. I contacted a couple of local rescues and either didn't get a response as they were closed or was told that they weren't able to adopt out due to the restrictions. This was at the very beginning of the lockdown. I'm hoping things are a bit easier for rescues now!

Looking back on it, I guess I could have waited but I wouldn't change my guys for the world!
    Most definitely they are now yours and your babies ❤️ no matter where they where from x

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

And so the negativity to lops in rescue has already begun, in a group I someone wrote they will not adopt a lop from rescue because they will cost to much health wise.

So the vet in question behind all this, has done a poster about upcoming talk and has now mentioned all other breeds is rexes, and even giants being extreme breeds along with dwarfs and lops
    So why haven't the rear turned there backs on other breeds to then, but then the vet is an extremist who wants to see no rabbits as pets
    She even on an extreme mission against horse riders is we should not ride horses, we should not use a whip, we use crops as an aid not to beat the horsenbut alittle tickle when needed.
    I won't be sharing her recent poster on rabbit breeds because I cannot support her

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by mini lop1 View Post
    So the vet in question behind all this, has done a poster about upcoming talk and has now mentioned all other breeds is rexes, and even giants being extreme breeds along with dwarfs and lops
    So why haven't the rear turned there backs on other breeds to then, but then the vet is an extremist who wants to see no rabbits as pets
    She even on an extreme mission against horse riders is we should not ride horses, we should not use a whip, we use crops as an aid not to beat the horsenbut alittle tickle when needed.
    I won't be sharing her recent poster on rabbit breeds because I cannot support her
    Why the RWAF have taken her on is beyond me. Pet Rabbits are here now and have been for a very long time. All this supposed hard core ‘Welfare’ messaging is doing is making caring, COMPETENT Rabbit Care Givers feel like they are the Bad Guys.

I am in no mood to be able to post my full thoughts on all of this as doing so would probably get me banned……

Nuff said

‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Why the RWAF have taken her on is beyond me. Pet Rabbits are here now and have been for a very long time. All this supposed hard core ‘Welfare’ messaging is doing is making caring, COMPETENT Rabbit Care Givers feel like they are the Bad Guys.

I am in no mood to be able to post my full thoughts on all of this as doing so would probably get me banned……

Nuff said
    I'm inclined to agree. I understand rabbits are from a meat and fur background, but then nothing really started as a pet really? Dormice, hamsters, guineas: all meat breeds IIRC, dogs, cats, ferrets all working animals of a sort, chinchillas fur animals; stuff like lizards, snakes and tarantulas 'shock' pets ('freak show'/circus animals) maybe? Pets as pets is a very 'modern' thing so widespread, but those of us who're competent are trying our best and we need support not threats.
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

I don't agree that we should necessarily stop riding horses but I do think that training methods used should be looked at and it's good that people are challenging potentially outdated ideas. So many methods come from a time when we didn't have much/any scientific knowledge to suggest there were better ways.

A recent study showed that horses are capable of feeling just as much pain as us (and everybody would be horrified if teachers in schools wanted to use a crop on children, say.)

Aversives only ever work by being unpleasant for the horse in some way. Us humans have intelligence on our side - if we can train wild zoo animals to present themselves for blood draws, health checks etc without needing to punish them in any way first, then we should be able to do the same with any animal.

But that's a whole other can of worms I'm opening.

Personally I don’t see any of that as extreme. I too wish rabbits were not domesticated. I disagree with many of the practices involved in horse riding too. And of course giant breeds/rexes etc are extreme breeds; they’re as far from a ‘proper’ rabbit as you can get, and suffer as a result.

As a rescue we're well aware of the health issues suffered by brachycephalic rabbits and also those with lop ears & absolutely commend RWAF's stance on this.

We've been writing articles on this for several years now and the RVC study on lop eared rabbits was conducted at RRR.

The rabbits with breed related health issues that end up in rescue aren't just originating from back yard breeders and pet shops, they're also coming from 'reputable' BRC breeders too.

Encouraging people to opt for rabbits closer to their wild cousins when purchasing or adopting is a huge step forward for rabbit welfare & eventually I hope other extreme breeds are included also.

We always make adoptees aware of any potential breed related health issues & although there is now greater awareness of these it doesn't mean that the flat faced or lop eared rabbits don't get adopted & RWAF's current stance isn't aimed at making adoptees feel bad for adopting an extreme breed.

Out of our 11 long term residents (these all have health issues) only two are neither flat faced or lop breeds. Out of my own 14 rabbits 9 have breed related health issues. When you look at the percentages although obviously it's not a representative sample, a huge percentage suffer from breed related health issues, the needless suffering due to man kinds desire for an animal to look a certain way has to stop. It literally breaks my heart.
    Last edited by tabithakat64; 17-09-2021 at 03:21 PM.
    Bunny mum to rescue rabbits Cinna, Katniss, Prim, Haymitch, Rocket, Pepper, Nimra, Ollie, Ash, Willow, Clegg, Cloud, Belle and Ruben
    Binky free at the bridge Claudia, Rose, Shadow, Blue, Donut, Kylie boops, Desbun & Nemo. Miss you so much
    Manager at Rabbit Residence Rescue

Some Rescues are reporting a drop in enquiries about Lops for rehoming I realise this might not have been the intention of the latest RWAF Campaing, but it is inevitable that if people are told that Lops are going to have health problems then people are going to be reluctant to take them on as Pets. These Rabbits are already here

‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !