Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Got the Latest Issue of Rabbiting On ?

Wise Old Thumper

Regarding the Webinar summary, I'm not sure what Emma Milne is saying completely stands up to scrutiny. I'm particularly thinking about the statement that she's not sure we could ever give rabbits what wildies have. Would we want to in every aspect? Wildies, like all other wild animals not at the top of their food chain, live in constant fear of predation. This will consume a huge part of their thinking every day. There will also I think be days in the depths of Winter when wildies will go hungry. Good quality grass will not be available all year round. When wildies are sick, they will suffer without appropriate medication. The benefits of being a wildie will of course be the space and also the social interaction and community living. Their lives in my view are completely different to pet rabbits.

If she is suggesting that if we could we should attempt to give our pet rabbits the same life as that of a wildie, then I don't agree with her.

I don't much like her generalisation about the care of pet rabbits eg food, space, partners etc.

I'd just like to give my opinion on this as a relatively new rabbit parent.

We got our Netherland dwarves, Sophie and Joey last year. Unfortunately, we weren't able to rescue due to covid so we ended up getting our guys from a 'show breeder'. He did seem to genuinely care about the welfare of his buns and the information he gave us about caring for them was consistent with my own research (mainly sourced from RWAF).

I instantly fell in love with Sophie, Joey and rabbits in general, wanting to give my guys the best life possible. Due to the complexity of caring for rabbits I subscribed to Rabbiting On, joined this forum and continued to educate myself on caring for rabbits.

I read Rabbiting On cover to cover and have also purchased back issues as I find the health advice invaluable.

However, as an owner of 2 amazing Netherland dwarves, I always felt a little ostracised by RWAF and their opinions on lop and brachycephalic buns. Sometimes reading their articles makes me feel like I did the wrong thing.

I understand that it's better to adopt rather than purchase from a breeder however the breeder I used did say that if I hadn't got them he most likely would have used them for further breeding and shows - so I do feel like I rescued them in my own way if that makes sense!

The way I see it, the breed is not the buns fault and we should do everything we can to ensure that all buns are given the best life possible. I understand that the RWAF want to promote more 'natural' buns and develop a social norm but it almost feel like they're forgetting about buns of these breeds that are already here and making their owners feel tremendously guilty for owning them!

Anyway, I think I'm rambling now so will leave it there - just my two pennies worth!

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage&Beans View Post

We got our Netherland dwarves, Sophie and Joey last year. Unfortunately, we weren't able to rescue due to covid so we ended up getting our guys from a 'show breeder'. He did seem to genuinely care about the welfare of his buns and the information he gave us about caring for them was consistent with my own research (mainly sourced from RWAF).

I instantly fell in love with Sophie, Joey and rabbits in general, wanting to give my guys the best life possible. Due to the complexity of caring for rabbits I subscribed to Rabbiting On, joined this forum and continued to educate myself on caring for rabbits.

I read Rabbiting On cover to cover and have also purchased back issues as I find the health advice invaluable.

However, as an owner of 2 amazing Netherland dwarves, I always felt a little ostracised by RWAF and their opinions on lop and brachycephalic buns. Sometimes reading their articles makes me feel like I did the wrong thing.

I understand that it's better to adopt rather than purchase from a breeder however the breeder I used did say that if I hadn't got them he most likely would have used them for further breeding and shows - so I do feel like I rescued them in my own way if that makes sense!

The way I see it, the breed is not the buns fault and we should do everything we can to ensure that all buns are given the best life possible. I understand that the RWAF want to promote more 'natural' buns and develop a social norm but it almost feel like they're forgetting about buns of these breeds that are already here and making their owners feel tremendously guilty for owning them!

Anyway, I think I'm rambling now so will leave it there - just my two pennies worth!
    You are not alone in feeling as you do.

‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

RESCUED PLUSH LOP VINNIE NEEDS A FOREVER HOME
    https://www.bleakholt.org/lancashire...-small-animal/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Regarding the Webinar summary, I'm not sure what Emma Milne is saying completely stands up to scrutiny. I'm particularly thinking about the statement that she's not sure we could ever give rabbits what wildies have. Would we want to in every aspect? Wildies, like all other wild animals not at the top of their food chain, live in constant fear of predation. This will consume a huge part of their thinking every day. There will also I think be days in the depths of Winter when wildies will go hungry. Good quality grass will not be available all year round. When wildies are sick, they will suffer without appropriate medication. The benefits of being a wildie will of course be the space and also the social interaction and community living. Their lives in my view are completely different to pet rabbits.

If she is suggesting that if we could we should attempt to give our pet rabbits the same life as that of a wildie, then I don't agree with her.

I don't much like her generalisation about the care of pet rabbits eg food, space, partners etc.
    I agree. Sometimes the tone of how a message is expressed can also have an impact. I find the whole thing very ‘preachy’ and quite frankly insulting at times.

I feel quite sad really as I have been a member of the RWAF since it started. With a short break when I could not afford the Subscription. I still highly value a lot of the information they provide and admire a lot of the work they do. But this latest Campaign has been handled badly, IMO.

―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

My Barney is a lop and apart from my hare, he has the longest face out of all 5 bunnies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
    My Barney is a lop and apart from my hare, he has the longest face out of all 5 bunnies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Handsome lad

I think the point that is trying to be made is no so much that all Lops fall foul to the problems of brachycephalic breeds but that all Lops are prone to ear problems, regardless of the shape of their skull.

I understand the message, I just disagree with the way it is being communicated.

―John Steinbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Handsome lad

I think the point that is trying to be made is no so much that all Lops fall foul to the problems of brachycephalic breeds but that all Lops are prone to ear problems, regardless of the shape of their skull.

I understand the message, I just disagree with the way it is being communicated.
    Agreed. Love this forum as we all have the same understanding
    Like you was long member of rwaf but have now withdrawn from them and unsubscribed

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    I actually think angoras are more of a problem than lops. I always feel so sorry for the ones whose fur isn't clipped. They can't keep themselves groomed, which must feel bad for animals as clean as rabbits, it must be awful in summer, when their fur gets matted it must feel really uncomfortable or even painful to them, and I always wonder about their vision since they have so much hair around their eyes.

I feel really sorry for that bunny in the photo.
    me too. so sad
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

if you're reading this it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage&Beans View Post

Slightly off topic but am curious, Why couldn’t you rescue because of covid?

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TheBee View Post
    Slightly off topic but am curious, Why couldn’t you rescue because of covid?
    Most rescues (not just rabbit ones) were not rehoming during lockdowns - homechecks were stopped, viewing & transport of animals wasn't possible under the restrictions, etc. Things are easing now, but it's been tough on all rescues. It has still been possible to obtain pets from other sources, though, as things like homechecks are not required and travelling distances could be much more local. I had the same issue. I normally go through a rescue at the other end of the country, via a friend who comes up to her caravan near me. It just wasn't possible for most of this year, so I ended up doing a local rehome via an online pet listing service.