• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw disposal/composting

What do you do with all your used straw? We've filled up both our quite large compost bins to now I'm scratching my head. Our council won't allow it in the gardening waste bins or composting bins so only option is landfill bin which is now tiny in a drive to encourage more recycling.
How do you compost your straw? I've seen green cone digesters and think they would break down the straw quicker than standard compost bin, or perhaps a wormery?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Allotment.
If you don't have one, find your local ones and see if anyone will take it off your hands. It makes lovely compost, especially with a mix of weeds from the allotment / garden.
Sometimes there are FaceBook groups, etc that could be useful here.

Home compost bins aren't that brilliant - they are not really big enough and stay too dry. A larger, open-topped heap is better. eg tie 4 pallets together with hay string to make a composting compound.

I would now have to pay to take it to the tip as it is animal waste and not domestic waste.

I put mine out with the rubbish. Not ideal but council wont allow it in garden waste and I dont drive so no tip runs.

Gosh, am I happy to live close to the Balkan - why would a council have any say about what I do with my waste hay etc. as long as no neighbours are bothered?
Putting a valuable resource into the rubbish - nope. About half of what accumulates gets spread on the.... not lawn, meadow?... and run over with the lawn mower 2-3 times per year to build up fertile soil, it was lawn for decades and needs that. The rest goes onto the compost heap (4x1,5m, about 1m high at the moment). I feed mostly fresh forage and they waste appr. 80%, quite a lot with 22 Rabbits at the moment, I gather ca. 30-35kg per day.

Moving away from town was the best decision ever.

My father owns a huge farm with a variety of animals, believe me, it's better not to hog that straw. Used straw is unnecessary garbage that will accumulate over the years, do you need it? We are not used to disposing of this trash, we can just use the containers https://www.186needabin.com/disposal-bins/, but it takes time to remove all the accumulated straw. I've seen farmers' barns that store hay and straw in the hope that it can still be used, I can't tell you how bad it smells. I advise all owners of cattle or rodents to dispose of unnecessary straw on time, it pollutes your yard and is only an inconvenience.

Last edited:
Just a note to say that straw composts very slowly if you don't add nitrogen (e.g. chicken manure). Otherwise it will also temporarily reduce the fertility of the soil while it decomposes (as there's too low a N:C ratio in straw to support the bacterial and fungal colonies that break it down, so they 'rob' the extra nitrogen from other sources - it all goes back in once whatever it is is fully decomposed).

There may be sufficient nitrogen if the bunnies have thoroughly soiled the straw but I've found soiled hay not to be a good mulch for fertility due to its slow decomposition rate - even though hay has a slightly better N:C ratio than straw. It still has value as a weed-suppressing mulch though, and in some cases a low-fertility mulch is appropriate (e.g. in a wildflower meadow).

Back