• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apricot and Willoughby

Mmm, I'd separate them TBH, he might not be ready yet, he's probably still quite hormonal :( Give it another coople of weeks maybe?

Chibbs does this to Lopsy though, if it's any comfort: she doesn't pull his fur out (only once or twice in 2yrs, that's less than Aboleth & Lopsy's rate), but if he's 'in her spot' she'll nip and/or hump him until he moves. She humped the absolute nonsense out of him yesterday because I was hand feeding them pellets to get them in from outside and he got a single pellet :( She's an absolute cow (and she knows it). She especially does it if he's lying in/near a tube entrance, I think she's worried she might not be able to get out.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. It was looking so positive and I'm sorry that it's not progressing very well now.

I would say that a bit of fur pulling is OK as long as it doesn't escalate, BUT biting in my view is not.

Poor Apricot. I think I'd split them with a view to trying in a month or so when hopefully he'll be less hormonal. Have you spoken to the bonder?

Thanks for your advice everyone, I'm really torn, Evelyn is up now so I'm with her and watching them on camera, and they're doing this rn. I feel like I'm not experience enough to make a call on this one.

I've spoken to the bonder, she said maybe put some mesh between them for a few hours, honestly thought we don't have anything like that here, most of our bun stuff except bare essentials is in my parents garage still :(

I don't wanna break them up if this will resolve etc but at the same time I don't wanna Apricot getting totally beaten up :(

It's so weird he does a fur pull and they scatter, then he comes back over and grooms her.. I don't get it!
f8a8c5e6eb7622c04d80df2205ca22b8.jpg

Oh no

It is really hard to offer advice as to do so with any degree of accuracy I would need to see how they are together to read their body language.

After an hour or so check her all over for wounds. New wounds may be hard to detect immediately after they occur, but after about an hour the damaged tissue starts to harden up and is easiest to feel. This is especially true for puncture wounds

Could the person who bonded them have them back for longer. 3 days is a very short time in the grand scheme of things.

Also, can’t remember how long ago he was neutered. If less than 8 weeks ago he could still be having hormone surges. This could mean a sudden and unprovoked bout of aggression.

Oh no

It is really hard to offer advice as to do so with any degree of accuracy I would need to see how they are together to read their body language.

After an hour or so check her all over for wounds. New wounds may be hard to detect immediately after they occur, but after about an hour the damaged tissue starts to harden up and is easiest to feel. This is especially true for puncture wounds

Could the person who bonded them have them back for longer. 3 days is a very short time in the grand scheme of things.

Also, can’t remember how long ago he was neutered. If less than 8 weeks ago he could still be having hormone surges. This could mean a sudden and unprovoked bout of aggression.

5 week tomorrow, maybe it's all too soon!

Should set up a live stream [emoji38] I think it's just fur pulls that are tearing the skin. But I keep checking her, I will in about an hour from now and see if there's any more :( they've been laying like that for about 15 mins now.

I can ask, but Idk tbh! It's honestly out of nowhere he just fur pulls :S

Fur pulling out of nowhere was Boo's style when I was bonding her to Mouse (but no blood drawn). It felt more bossy that hateful though - are you getting that vibe?

Jake is a fur puller sadly!! I'd say it's just the change from bonder to home that's set things off a bit. I don't tend to separate unless it's extreme/one bun is clearly very unhappy as I find it will just keep resetting things so I'd be tempted to see if Apricot is eating/will relax. I very nearly separated Jake and Fern as Fern didn't want to eat and Jake was getting annoyed at her for being nervous, he was too intense but just as I was going to make the decision she started eating and standing up to Jake/letting him know he was humping/fur pulling too much and from then on they really settled. I'd check apricot over by feeling for any bumps that might indicate little cuts from fur pulling, they may be hard to see but felt easier.

5 week tomorrow, maybe it's all too soon!

Should set up a live stream [emoji38] I think it's just fur pulls that are tearing the skin. But I keep checking her, I will in about an hour from now and see if there's any more :( they've been laying like that for about 15 mins now.

I can ask, but Idk tbh! It's honestly out of nowhere he just fur pulls :S

It could be that he is still a bit hormonal. I do think it is possible that things will work out, it may just take several weeks.

Fur pulling out of nowhere was Boo's style when I was bonding her to Mouse (but no blood drawn). It felt more bossy that hateful though - are you getting that vibe?
Pretty much! It's always to move her along etc

Thanks guys, Apricot is splooted rn and he's just a loaf, been no more incidents. I guess I'll just keep an eye, Evelyns eating again so I'm right here with them
0f38cdb075136a1be9f88ef72743760e.jpg

I think Evelyn must have some bunny in her - she always seems to be eating - which makes sense if she is getting through 150 squids worth of food a week

It could be that he is still a bit hormonal. I do think it is possible that things will work out, it may just take several weeks.
I do agree, they're really good together apart from the Willoughby randomness and that's at least got a possible reason. I don't think the bond is a lost cause totally, just maybe not right now. It's really hard. Big hugs.

What J&B said about bossiness: this is always how the girls are with Lopsy. He's too stupid to realise he's not in the right place, what their needs are etc. (he's not a very good rabbit) so they bully him, boss him about until he does what they want or goes away. Willoughby was, as reported by his previous owners, the dominant one, his brother started the fights (although i dunno if that was ACTUAL fight starting or just going up to him) and Willoughby beat the absolute bejeesus out of him. But Willoughby was also bigger (by about 300g) so that might've accounted for the fighting dominance. He feels like a bun who would be dominant TBH (was it Babsie who said Napoleon complex?).

I think Evelyn must have some bunny in her - she always seems to be eating - which makes sense if she is getting through 150 squids worth of food a week

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

She does smile and laugh when I say who's a good bun? You might be onto something [emoji38]

I do agree, they're really good together apart from the Willoughby randomness and that's at least got a possible reason. I don't think the bond is a lost cause totally, just maybe not right now. It's really hard. Big hugs.

What J&B said about bossiness: this is always how the girls are with Lopsy. He's too stupid to realise he's not in the right place, what their needs are etc. (he's not a very good rabbit) so they bully him, boss him about until he does what they want or goes away. Willoughby was, as reported by his previous owners, the dominant one, his brother started the fights (although i dunno if that was ACTUAL fight starting or just going up to him) and Willoughby beat the absolute bejeesus out of him. But Willoughby was also bigger (by about 300g) so that might've accounted for the fighting dominance. He feels like a bun who would be dominant TBH (was it Babsie who said Napoleon complex?).

Oh... [emoji38]

Maybe he wasn't the best match for Apricot who's the chillest bun ever [emoji38]

They're laying nose to nose now sleeping.. I'm so confused honestly

I'm sorry Willoughby is being so confusing, being so sweet one second and a jerk the next. I hope he'll calm down soon and stops being mean.

I'm sorry Willoughby is being so confusing, being so sweet one second and a jerk the next. I hope he'll calm down soon and stops being mean.
Same! They just shared some parsley together and ate it just fine no aggression, then he groomed her and now they're sitting next to each other [emoji849]

Ooft I'm stressed, I knew there was a reason I didn't do bonding and looking after a toddler [emoji38] I just put Evelyn down for her second nap and damn I feel like my heads gunna explode [emoji58] there's not much been going on in bunderland, although he did nip her bum once to move her again but no fur pulling.. I'm worried though when they stop sleeping and get more active this evening... [emoji58]

Sending vibes they will be a good bond when his hormones settle. With her size advantage , he is taking a big chance being bossy. Sending hugs.

Apricot does sound like the big female more-like-a-rabbit version of Lopsy TBH. I think the erraticness would be hormones.

Back