• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mites

boing

New Kit
I was wondering if anyone can help with any home remedies against mites? Someone has contacted me who has rescued 3 baby bunnies around 8 weeks of age and it sounds like they have mites on their fur & around their ears (bald patches, flaky white skin, etc).

This girl wants to rehome these bunnies eventually but currently I think money is a bit tight for vet visits so is looking for a home suggestion first before she makes the trip to the vet.

As I don't know really how bad it is, the mite problem could be just because the bunnies are stressed so hopefully it might go away as they become more healthy. However, does anyone suggest any products or ideas that she could try in the meantime?

Karen

There are a couple of medicated shampoos and treatments she can try.

www.gorgeousguineas.com does an anti-parasitic oil soak I have used on Zeus - it relieves the itching but you must do a patch test and read all the instructions first!

Then wash off the oil soak with an anti-parasitic shampoo such as the one by Johnson and Johnson which is specially formulated for small animals (availible from many local pets shops and dare I say it P@H).

I have used this in combination with Ivomec injections when Zeus had fur mites - I think by the sounds of it these buns have mange mites though!

If it doesn't start to clear up within a week to two weeks of these baths she should really consider a visit to the vet for the sake of the poor suffering buns!

It won't just go away as having the intense itching will be causing stress in itself - a vicious cycle - by curing the mites the stress will be reduced and hopefully their levels will remain under control (they are always present in low numbers on rabbits)!

Caz

Edit: oil soaks must not be used on GPs under 3 months so I would ask GG whether the buns are too young as well!!

Buy Seleen trade name 'Selsun' from the chemist. (liquid shampoo not soap form)

Ignore human directions & follow the ones below instead......

Wet coat, apply Seleen & work into coat all over avoiding eyes/mouth (put it on, but not in, ears)

Leave on for 5 mins & rinse.

Dry as normal.

Rpt 14 days later as nec.

This treatment is also anti-fungal & a coat-conditioner so good all round even if you are not sure what the cause is.

However seek attention of the vet if the symptoms persist.

Back