• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

John Joe :-( U/D 9th August Much Better :-)

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
He is very poorly. Suspected EC. :(He is having seizures and he seems to have gone blind :cry:

He is literally fighting for his life :cry:

Last edited:
This is such a shock. In is recent photos with the big bunny you got your bitty couple he looked so healthy.
He has you so I know he could not be in more loving and capable hands.

Sending you all lots of vibes.

Oh no :cry: I'm so sorry. Poor John-Joe. I hope he can pull through. Sending lots of vibes and hugs.

Thank you, it is so upsetting to see him like this. The symptoms all came on so suddenly. No headtilt yet, but he is staggering about like a drunk and he can see very little. He has had 4 seizures .Dara is understandably very distressed too. She is also on Panacur as a precaution. JJ is on Panacur, Metacam, Sulphatrim, Cisipride and fluids. Thankfully he is eating a bit for himself, but he keeps falling over as he does so :cry:

I am really sorry, I send a lot of vibrations for him. I hope he wins this war :( xxxxxx

Oh, how awful and unfair. John-Joe is such a sweet little guy. My prayers and vibes on the way for his complete recovery, quickly. Seizures are horrible. I really hope he does not have more. The blindness may be a temporary side effect of these.

Huge hugs for you and gentle love to poor wee Dara, you both must be overwrought. xxxxx

Oh, no, that's so terrible. :cry: I'm so very sorry he's doing so badly, IM. Poor John-Joe, and poor Dara and you, too, seeing him like this. I so, so hope the medications will do their job and he'll start to feel better soon, and hopefully regain his sight, too. I'll be thinking of you all, and sending vibes.

JJ has been having Flamazine (Silver Sulfadiazine) applied to a sore hock. Whilst I have tried to minimise the risk of him ingesting any of it by only applying a tiny amount and allowing it time to be absorbed before I stop watching JJ I don’t doubt that he has ingested a small amount. Now I have found this

https://n.neurology.org/content/92/10/481

I stopped using the Flamazine over a week ago, JJ’s neurological symptoms started yesterday. Surely it would have happened before now if it is the Flamazine. Obviously I will be contacting our Vet again.

I have used Flamazine on sore hocks for years and never had any issues

So worried :cry:

Last edited:
JJ has been having Flamazine (Silver Sulphadiazine) applied to a sore hock. Whilst I have tried to minimise the risk of him ingesting any of it by only applying a tiny amount and allowing it time to be absorbed before I stop watching JJ I don’t doubt that he has ingested a small amount. Now I have found this

I stopped using the Flamazine over a week ago, JJ’s neurological symptoms started yesterday. Surely it would have happened before now if it is the Flamazine. Obviously I will be contacting our Vet again.

I can understand your concern and I will be interested in your vet's view.

The article does say that it is thought that small amounts are not toxic, so I would hope that by only applying a very small amount and watching him for a while afterwards, it would suggest it isn't a likely cause. The fact that the Flamazine was stopped over a week ago might not be so conclusive as I know that certain types of toxicity with plants can have longer term implications.

It's also obviously the case that most medication 'can' produce serious side effects which needs to be taken into consideration. Also the fact that you have used it for years without issue is worth remembering. In addition, there will be the many people who have used it, without being as careful as you, without any reported toxicity issues.

I can understand your concern and I will be interested in your vet's view.

The article does say that it is thought that small amounts are not toxic, so I would hope that by only applying a very small amount and watching him for a while afterwards, it would suggest it isn't a likely cause. The fact that the Flamazine was stopped over a week ago might not be so conclusive as I know that certain types of toxicity with plants can have longer term implications.

It's also obviously the case that most medication 'can' produce serious side effects which needs to be taken into consideration. Also the fact that you have used it for years without issue is worth remembering. In addition, there will be the many people who have used it, without being as careful as you, without any reported toxicity issues.

Thanks, I am trying not to go into panic mode. Not doing too great though x

JJ has been having Flamazine (Silver Sulphadiazine) applied to a sore hock. Whilst I have tried to minimise the risk of him ingesting any of it by only applying a tiny amount and allowing it time to be absorbed before I stop watching JJ I don’t doubt that he has ingested a small amount. Now I have found this

Oh I'm so sorry, I hope you can get him more stable :(

Surely if he was gunna have this reaction it would've happen when you was using it, not a week later? Seems like a coincidence to me, but I'm no expert. I also get looking for a reason it could be happening, trying to figure out if it's something you've done etc I always do this too :(

Sending lots of hugs, sometimes these things can just happen with no explanation :( xx

Back