• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diet, teeth and stasis

aerofine

Warren Scout
My 2 year old Dutch female had to spend 2 days at the vets this week, in critical condition because she stopped eat, was very bloated and had stasis. She also had overgrown molars (she had them trimmed 4 months ago).

I believe the stasis was caused by over feeding on kale/broccoli on Saturday.

I’m now thinking about making changes to their diet (I have two rabbits outside, one inside). For outside buns I plan to reduce their daily fresh food by half, cut out kale for a while and then only offer small amounts. I’ve ordered two different types of Timothy hay; stalky and soft. And I plan on one day a week only offering hay (no fresh or pellets).

Anyone have any other advice?

My 2 year old Dutch female had to spend 2 days at the vets this week, in critical condition because she stopped eat, was very bloated and had stasis. She also had overgrown molars (she had them trimmed 4 months ago).

I’m now thinking about making changes to their diet (I have two rabbits outside, one inside). For outside buns I plan to reduce their daily fresh food by half, cut out kale for a while and then only offer small amounts. I’ve ordered two different types of Timothy hay; stalky and soft. And I plan on one day a week only offering hay (no fresh or pellets).

I'm no expert, but I think I'd keep the diet consistent, whatever you choose to change it to. So I wouldn't do one day with just hay, I'd probably cut veg right down and feed mostly hay and a small amount of pellets per day if they have them currently, and I'd keep everything else to a minimum. But I'd do the same type of diet daily so they're used to it.

Sorry your bun was unwell, I have two buns here that really can't tolerate any veggies at all, one does better with herbs though. So I just don't feed them any veggies!

I think its quite likely the stasis was caused by her inability to eat enough because of her overgrown molars, although gorging on kale & broccoli may have been because she wasn't eating other foods regularly. Grass & hay will help with molar wear, not much else does & filling up on other foods mean they'll prob eat less hay / grass. IMO good move to try the different hays. I'd be more inclined to keep the fresh & reduce / stop pellets if anything. are you able to forage - get dandelions, grass, brambles etc?

I hope she recovers well & enjoys her new hay

Make changes slowly. I had bunnies who cannot eat certain foods others eat without any issues. Dental issues will cause a bunny to not eat certain foods,often hay, and not eating enough will slow the gut. I also have a bunny who eats fast and recent postings on ru mentioned some food,like certain pellets can swell in their tummy causing pain/bloat.

keep the diet consistent, whatever you choose to change it to. So I wouldn't do one day with just hay, I'd probably cut veg right down and feed mostly hay and a small amount of pellets per day if they have them currently, and I'd keep everything else to a minimum. But I'd do the same type of diet daily so they're used to it.

!

Agreed, I also agree with trying a variety of hays.
Rabbits who might not cope too well with fresh veg tend to be OK with fresh herbs and fresh forage. If you can source fresh forage it’s free so a win win :D

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

Hope that your Rabbit is feeling a lot better now

She was eating totally fine, hay, fresh and pellets. Literally the stasis/bloating happened hours after having more kale than I’d usually provide.

They currently get a quarter cup each of pellets each night - should I reduce this?

I can definitely forage and do occasionally. Can they eat brambles/blackberries either ripe or not?

I think I will try the one day a week only hay and see how they go.

She was eating totally fine, hay, fresh and pellets. Literally the stasis/bloating happened hours after having more kale than I’d usually provide.

They currently get a quarter cup each of pellets each night - should I reduce this?

I can definitely forage and do occasionally. Can they eat brambles/blackberries either ripe or not?

I think I will try the one day a week only hay and see how they go.

kale can give some Rabbits a gassy tummy. The pain from that causes them to stop eating and that leads to gut stasis. Personally I would try to keep things simple with her diet, hay, a small portion of pellets and some forage. Keep a check on her poo output, changes in the size/volume of poo usually happens before the Rabbit stops eating.

kale can give some Rabbits a gassy tummy. The pain from that causes them to stop eating and that leads to gut stasis. Personally I would try to keep things simple with her diet, hay, a small portion of pellets and some forage. Keep a check on her poo output, changes in the size/volume of poo usually happens before the Rabbit stops eating.

Yes I’m not giving any kale/broccoli.

Sadly I can’t check poops as I don’t know which are hers.

I wouldn't feed the berries, eat them yourself :D They're just little packages of sugar :thumb: Aim for the ends of brambles without flowers/fruit, they won't eat the very ends (it contains a nasty-tasting chemical) but the rest is fair game. If they're indoors you might want to consider just foraging the leaves, as they chew the spiky bits off and leave them :D

Other common, easily-foraged stuff that's universally (ish) liked: hazel, hawthorn, willow (all types though mine leave goat willow til last), dandelions, any willowherbs, cranesbills (herb robert etc.), chickweed (not right now, or not in my garden), dead nettles (stinging nettles are better dried), plantains (weeds, not vegetables), and of course grass! You can also try buddleia but that's universally disliked :) We also have varying success with currant, rasberry and jerusalem artichoke (like a sunflower) leaves. You can grow a lot of weeds at home too :lol: We've introduced so many weeds :D

So this is my plan for feeding;

- Three types of hay every day - meadow and two different Timothy hay (one soft one stalky)
- Foraging when I can supplemented with herbs, select veggies (no kale or broccoli) approx handful size per day
- Burgess Excel pellets - quarter cup per rabbit each evening

I also give them Pro-Fibre pellets twice a week - I was thinking of on the days I offer these to not offer the Burgess pellets.

How does this sound?

Back