• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor hutch

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, can I ask what people use in their outdoor hutches on the floor please? I have been lining with newspaper, thick layer of wood shavings then soft hay on top. It’s quite hard to clean out with the wood shavings. Would some Lino be a good choice? I just thought with that they may be peeing & the Lino wouldn’t absorb? Thank you for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I now use lino on the floors. Litter trays have absorbent layer (I've swaped to Ecoshiv) and hay on top. Sometimes they need a few layers of newspaper under the tray to catch anything that misses. It's so much easier to sweep ot the floors daily and spot clean or empty the tray.

I agree with Shimmer :thumb: My hutches are teeny tiny with a pull-out tray, a big oil drip-tray basically fills it so I don't need to put anything else down, unless they're being extra messy (happens certain times of the year!) then I put some newspaper underneath and watch as Chibbs destroys it :lol:

I now use lino on the floors. Litter trays have absorbent layer (I've swaped to Ecoshiv) and hay on top. Sometimes they need a few layers of newspaper under the tray to catch anything that misses. It's so much easier to sweep ot the floors daily and spot clean or empty the tray.

Hi thank you for sharing, I’m trying to get Lino free from somewhere & will try what you suggested. Will look up ecoshiv also. It definitely sounds easier than the cleaning Iv done. When we went away & family were looking after them, they were in the house. It was so they had space to exercise & they used their tray no bother. It’s just in the hutch they don’t. I thought the reason may be because in the hutch Iv put down newspaper, lots of wood shavings then soft hay on top. They may be thinking because that’s all o we it’s like a big litter tray or somewhere they would tut on. Xx

I agree with Shimmer :thumb: My hutches are teeny tiny with a pull-out tray, a big oil drip-tray basically fills it so I don't need to put anything else down, unless they're being extra messy (happens certain times of the year!) then I put some newspaper underneath and watch as Chibbs destroys it :lol:

Hi thank you for sharing. Sounds great. Their hutch is quite big & yes my 2 like chewing & destroying the newspaper lol xx

I use a wood slat floor, with those cheap 65 liter concrete mixing tubs underneith.

Thank you for sharing, the hutch is wooden so has wood on floor, would that be ok? I wasn’t sure what you meant by the litter concrete mixing tubs under? Is that for a litter tray? Sorry but confused lol & doesn’t take much xx

I know this is an old thread but my two are obsessed with the kids style play mats that fit together like a puzzle. They sleep on them all the time and never wee on them. They're easy to hose down

I know this is an old thread but my two are obsessed with the kids style play mats that fit together like a puzzle. They sleep on them all the time and never wee on them. They're easy to hose down

Hi Bethany, thank you for commenting. I know the ones you mean. As long as they don’t chew them they would be great. Bellas now I’m the house since losing shadow her best friend. We have a new bunny, Morgan who I’m going to try to bond with her after new year. First bonding ended in a fight. He’s great for his litter tray just Bella lol. Iv got a new shed to set up for next year for them so I will just link the flour in there. Xx

Back