• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pet insurance

I am looking to insure my 2 buns but the vets said to be careful as recently they had a client with rabbit insurance and they refused to pay out and another where after the excess they only received back £25 out of £300.

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company that has good history of pay out on claims please? I am looking for the life type where they pay out for life on any new conditions.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Do remember that Insurance Companies are unlikely to cover for any type of condition that the Rabbit has had prior to taking the Policy out. So for Mischief you could find that any Respiratory Tract problem and facial mass problem could be excluded.

I use 4paws who are excellent, and Agria who aren’t as good.

As Jane mentioned, companies don’t cover pre existing conditions. The other alternative would be to save a certain amount each month x

Do remember that Insurance Companies are unlikely to cover for any type of condition that the Rabbit has had prior to taking the Policy out. So for Mischief you could find that any Respiratory Tract problem and facial mass problem could be excluded.
Thank you yes we considered this but after the recent run of events we have decided to insure them both. I just hope the insurance does pay out on non pre-existing conditions. Otherwise what is the point?xx

I use 4paws who are excellent, and Agria who aren’t as good.

As Jane mentioned, companies don’t cover pre existing conditions. The other alternative would be to save a certain amount each month x
Thank you. We had decided to just save each month after a chest infection in January as thought they wouldn't pay out for that or his other past ear infection.

Then we got hit again last month with a big bill before we had any real money saved. So have decided to insure although for Mischief there are a lot of conditions that won't be covered. I am still not 100% sure on whether to insure him. But we have a baby to insure most definitely. I will take a look at those companies x

I've only ever used Petplan for my cat George, and my 2 bridge bunnies. I've had a few claims for George and never had any problems with them.

Thank you yes we considered this but after the recent run of events we have decided to insure them both. I just hope the insurance does pay out on non pre-existing conditions. Otherwise what is the point?xx

Honestly, I don't know about pet insurance. But the best thing I know about health insurance for normal people is that they never cover pre-insurance illnesses. I don't think it's different with pet insurance, but you never know what health problems you'll have as Mischief gets older. So in the future you may need this insurance for different diseases as your rabbits get older. Also Lilabelle is very young now and has no disease, so pet insurance might be good for her. :)

I think it is a great idea to get pet insurance. I pay 19 pounds a month with Agria for Bodmin and 17 a month with Petplan for Maple.

Agria in my experience has never not paid or investigated anything and I know that they have accidentally paid for pre existing conditions.

The downside to Agria is they often get stuff wrong just a few examples

They set up multiple policies for Toby and Millie some coming out annually some coming out monthly and the staff seem abit under trained on the phone and didn’t know how to find all the duplicate accounts to cancel them so I had to go through my bank

Just of recently Dennis had covered for life policy and which renews automatically every year. They sent me a letter to say they where going paperless because of covid and someone their end accidentally cancelled his policy. I tried to submit a claim and they said I am sorry his policy has been terminated :lol:

Anyway went it went to the investigation team and they realised what they had done and apologised. They said in order to pay for Dennis’s treatment I had to increase my monthly payment for the months they had cancelled the policy and my payments.
Anyway that was supposed to be a one off payment and since they have been notified that Dennis has passed away they are taking the one off payment monthly and now I am due a refund

*Insert circus music here*

Long story short Agria are a mess and sometimes that mess goes in your favour as they don’t check things and shell out for anything

Pet plan are abit particular and might put up a fight but have always shelled out in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is a great idea to get pet insurance. I pay 19 pounds a month with Agria for Bodmin and 17 a month with Petplan for Maple.

Agria in my experience has never not paid or investigated anything and I know that they have accidentally paid for pre existing conditions.

The downside to Agria is they often get stuff wrong just a few examples

They set up multiple policies for Toby and Millie some coming out annually some coming out monthly and the staff seem abit under trained on the phone and didn’t know how to find all the duplicate accounts to cancel them so I had to go through my bank

Just of recently Dennis had covered for life policy and which renews automatically every year. They sent me a letter to say they where going paperless because of covid and someone their end accidentally cancelled his policy. I tried to submit a claim and they said I am sorry his policy has been terminated [emoji38]

Anyway went it went to the investigation team and they realised what they had done and apologised. They said in order to pay for Dennis’s treatment I had to increase my monthly payment for the months they had cancelled the policy and my payments.
Anyway that was supposed to be a one off payment and since they have been notified that Dennis has passed away they are taking the one off payment monthly and now I am due a refund

*Insert circus music here*

Long story short Agria are a mess and sometimes that mess goes in your favour as they don’t check things and shell out for anything

Pet plan are abit particular and might put up a fight but have always shelled out in the end

I love the circus music bit [emoji23]

I guess I need to just do quotes on these ones then and then decide [emoji4] thank you so much x

Ps I love all your bunny names especially Maple. Such a pretty and perfect name for a bun. I wish I knew what she looked like though...do you have a photo of her please?[emoji173]

I love the circus music bit [emoji23]

I guess I need to just do quotes on these ones then and then decide [emoji4] thank you so much x

Ps I love all your bunny names especially Maple. Such a pretty and perfect name for a bun. I wish I knew what she looked like though...do you have a photo of her please?[emoji173]

Some terrible advice but I would be tempted to go with Agria as they will hash it up big time with the existing conditions

Maple says she would take her picture but she’s quite the looker and doesn’t want the boys to get flustered in this weather. Plus Tapatalk isn’t working for uploading images :lol:

Some terrible advice but I would be tempted to go with Agria as they will hash it up big time with the existing conditions

Maple says she would take her picture but she’s quite the looker and doesn’t want the boys to get flustered in this weather. Plus Tapatalk isn’t working for uploading images [emoji38]

I think we get 5 weeks free with Agria through the vets for buns under 6 months old so Lillabelle will be included for that.

I quite understand Maple's reluctance. Mischief is very flustered today so I dare not show him pix of pretty girl buns [emoji38]

Interesting about Agria, I have found they pay too little- and I need to raise this with them. Been meaning to do that for 7 months!!!

I pay around 45 altogether for both of mine, but I live in London where prices are higher. I’d personally recommend 4paws because they know what they’re doing!

I had Bigwig insured with PetPlan, they paid out quickly and no issues and claimed for her behavioural problem and lung tumour. We did however max out the full yearly £2,000 within a month. This time round I decided to go with Agria for Fern, since you get an extra £500 a year so £2,500. So far haven't had to use it and there is caps, for example only half the costs of a CT scan is covered. Jake isn't insured as he's 7, although would consider it if Agria do an age amnesty as he has little pre existing.

I had Bigwig insured with PetPlan, they paid out quickly and no issues and claimed for her behavioural problem and lung tumour. We did however max out the full yearly £2,000 within a month. This time round I decided to go with Agria for Fern, since you get an extra £500 a year so £2,500. So far haven't had to use it and there is caps, for example only half the costs of a CT scan is covered. Jake isn't insured as he's 7, although would consider it if Agria do an age amnesty as he has little pre existing.
I didn't realise there was a max on yearly claims. Are you covering them for life on any conditions?
ie so they continue to pay for a condition for the rest of their life?

Mischief is 3 in September but has a few conditions they won't cover now. Lillabelle is obviously a baby. Us there a better insurance for each of them?

I will look at them all and see what amounts they cover and any excess. Premium cost is not the most important thing to me. There is no point going for the cheapest if it doesn't cover them.

Thanks for your help x

I didn't realise there was a max on yearly claims. Are you covering them for life on any conditions?
ie so they continue to pay for a condition for the rest of their life?

Mischief is 3 in September but has a few conditions they won't cover now. Lillabelle is obviously a baby. Us there a better insurance for each of them?

I will look at them all and see what amounts they cover and any excess. Premium cost is not the most important thing to me. There is no point going for the cheapest if it doesn't cover them.

Thanks for your help x

With rabbit policies they PetPlan only offer a lifetime policy, and as I'm far as is aware Agria too, but there is a max benefit per year so all conditions will dip into 'the pot' of money (ie £2,000 for PetPlan) but upon renewal the money will replenish and you can keep claiming for the same conditions. It was just unfortunate Bigwigs policy renewed in January, and she got sick in February and used up the full yearly amount so I had no money left until the following yearly renewal but sadly she didn't make it till then.

I would say in my experience PetPlan are more likely to be 'picky' about pre existing, they tend to make things quite general. For example in dogs I know a dog who ripped a claw and they then had an exclusion on 'limbs' rather than just claws! The vets can write to dispute an exclusion if they are willing.

With rabbit policies they PetPlan only offer a lifetime policy, and as I'm far as is aware Agria too, but there is a max benefit per year so all conditions will dip into 'the pot' of money (ie £2,000 for PetPlan) but upon renewal the money will replenish and you can keep claiming for the same conditions. It was just unfortunate Bigwigs policy renewed in January, and she got sick in February and used up the full yearly amount so I had no money left until the following yearly renewal but sadly she didn't make it till then.

I would say in my experience PetPlan are more likely to be 'picky' about pre existing, they tend to make things quite general. For example in dogs I know a dog who ripped a claw and they then had an exclusion on 'limbs' rather than just claws! The vets can write to dispute an exclusion if they are willing.
Wow that is really picky about the dog claw!

I have an Agria form here. Mischief has a few pre conditions so maybe they would be a better bet then.

Poor Bigwig [emoji178] I still think of her. We went through a similar situation together with our buns and I was so sad she didn't make it [emoji22]

Thank you for your help. Zigzag mentioned that 4Paws is good aswell. I will look at them all and the fine detail [emoji38] xx

I would also talk to the person at your vet who deals with the insurance claims. Sometimes it is one of the nurses. You may have to word your query carefully as they can't say certain things as it would be unprofessional. Ask them about who they would use to insure their rabbit with.

I would also talk to the person at your vet who deals with the insurance claims. Sometimes it is one of the nurses. You may have to word your query carefully as they can't say certain things as it would be unprofessional. Ask them about who they would use to insure their rabbit with.
I tried that and she said she is not supposed to recommend an insurance company. I can try adking again though x

Back