• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why DIYing runs is so expensive...

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
...I had to buy a second roll of weldmesh from Wickes. It's not the best quality and they don't advertise the gauge anymore. It's £55 for the 1"x1/2" stuff. So, for the 'smallest' run (ours is 8'x4') you need two rolls at £55, so you're spending £110 on mesh alone. Once you've added on decent timber, fixings and preservative/paint, you're approaching £250 I reckon!

We were lucky, my Dad used a load of castoff bits to make ours but it hasn't weathered well, partly because those bits are really thin. One of the uprights is now so rotten I need to take it out and replace it, at least partly! It was full of earwigs when I pulled it apart :mrgreen:

You're right, same in Turkey. It is cheaper when we buy it ready-made, I pay more when I buy the materials myself and make them. Normally I'm very skilled at home decorations, knitting toys, jewelry making, painting things, but I don't do it most of the time, because materials cost more, cheaper when bought ready-made. :roll:

Oh gosh, I hate earwigs! :mrgreen: We didn't have them in Alaska, although there may have been their armored cousins, pillbugs, I can't remember. Usually those two are the main lodgers you'll find under any rotting piece of wood in the lower 48. :(

Is this all bunny run stuff? Building materials for any size construction are at a premium here of late and I see several projects getting stalled as supply is kind of catch as catch can due to availability and cost. :?

Is this all bunny run stuff? Building materials for any size construction are at a premium here of late and I see several projects getting stalled as supply is kind of catch as catch can due to availability and cost. :?
Yes, but all construction stuff is at a premium. Covid, Brexit and the Suez blockage :roll: I sneaked some gravel in the other day so I'm stocked up for repotting things!

Pillbugs :D We have their non-rolling cousins too, woodlice :thumb: Haven't seen a pillbug for years TBH!

Can't say that. I bought good mesh for about 125€, 1m high, 25 meters long, 19x19x1,4mm, overkill for a run but I needed something for the hutch. Don't need to buy wood since I recycle pallets into firewood anyway. To make it durable I soak it wit a mixture of sunflower and line seed oil. (and paint it with rabbit urine afterwards to keep them from eating it up).

Can't say that. I bought good mesh for about 125€, 1m high, 25 meters long, 19x19x1,4mm, overkill for a run but I needed something for the hutch. Don't need to buy wood since I recycle pallets into firewood anyway. To make it durable I soak it wit a mixture of sunflower and line seed oil. (and paint it with rabbit urine afterwards to keep them from eating it up).
How... How do you collect the pure rabbit urine in such a large quantity..? [emoji38]

But at least you know it is quality when it is finished.
Well, you know what the quality is ;P In my case it's 'barely OK' because I'm terrible at using the stapler: it's too big for my hands and I can't hammer nails in because the materials are too bouncy :lol:

Expensive but definitely less so than buying from a company. My OH makes pens & he’s just made a 12 x 7ft (6ft tall) walk in run with 16g weld mesh for £550. It’ll last easily the lifetime of the rabbits & beyond, and is completely Fox proof, human proof, weather proof etc :)

Expensive but definitely less so than buying from a company. My OH makes pens & he’s just made a 12 x 7ft (6ft tall) walk in run with 16g weld mesh for £550. It’ll last easily the lifetime of the rabbits & beyond, and is completely Fox proof, human proof, weather proof etc :)
So, if I'd've made that from Wickes that would have cost me >£700 in weldmesh alone!

Back