• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free roam (garden)

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, I took on 2 rabbits that had a bad life. Dice Iv had them they have had free roam in my back garden which they love. The worry is ones a dwarf & a cat could get her. There’s also been a red kite about so it’s definitely seen her. I just don’t know what to do because I don’t like the thought of them in a run & a hutch at night. Of course I would always put them in the hutch at night because of safety & would never leave them out all night. I want them to have a big space to roam & now they have got used to having the garden to themselves I feel it would be cruel putting them in a run now. I know their safety needs to come first but just don’t feel they will get enough exercise in a run now after having the garden. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do. I thought it would be ok to have rabbits free roam. We have had the big one out & cats don’t bother with her at all. We take my mums rabbit & at the time had a cat ourselves & it was fine. He roams free in her garden & the cats come & go not bothering him at all. He’s even friends with one & they lie side by side. Would people say it’s the dwarf one that is at risk with free roam & if they were both big it would be ok to have them roaming free. Any ideas of what I can do now to keep them safe? This is the garden they have had & it’s bigger in person so feel so sad about them no longer having. I thought it would be ok to have feee roam. Thank you for reading

8dd9e61726a04076cf741facf99d2b78.jpg

bdedccf75c2bb5370b427776d5bac82e.jpg

5a79273b2cdd0031d18e53bcf69788c6.jpg

3f77c0b3cfb519654448cce9d77d3a94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a beautiful garden, I get why you don't want to deprive them of free roaming there. i remember several years ago we rented a pretty nasty house just because it had a massive garden we knew our rabbits would love. Mine are house buns but I like them to get outside in Spring & Summer where possible. I always loosely supervised mine (ie I'd go inside to make lunch, use the loo, other small distractions). I was gutted to see a stoat (or weasel?) one day meaning I'd never feel confident letting them out unless there were 2 of us 2 supervise. Cats & rabbits I've found are hugely variable in how they are with each other. Decades ago I had a housebun that used to go in to my backyard via a catflap I put in for her - she used to hang out on a pallet n an air raid shelter with a black cat from the neighbourhood. Joey one of my current buns was chased round the garden several times by a cat that looked the same size as him (he is 2.5k) & was really distressed. Its all so unpredictable...so I think you're right to review their housing in the light of safety. They can still play out when you're there to watch.

I think you can still make a run an enriched, safe & fun space but thats not my area. I'd have a look at runaround tubes, connection kits if you're able

Lucky buns getting a new start with you

Personally I would never allow Free Roaming unsupervised. This is why

JvfxBPg.jpg

IMO there is no such thing as a Fox proof garden. The first time you see a Fox is likely to be the last time you see your Rabbits alive. It just isn’t worth the risk.

Rather than a hutch and run have you considered a shed and aviary ?
Or a ‘Catio’ ?

Outdoor housing suggestions here https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/outdoor-rabbit-housing/

Hi, thank you for link will get a look. That’s great ideas for more space. Yes your right never thought of foxes as never thought they would get in as fences are high. We have a shed we use but maybe another for them. Only thing is it gets so so hot I the shed in summer, would they overheat? Xx

I wouldn't free-range mine unsupervised in that garden: too open, any bird of prey (owl, sparrowhawk, buzzard, even a peregrine) could take them easily. Cats are really troublesome too, and wild mammals (stoats, foxes, even badgers) before we get on to reptiles and corvids (crow family). A stoat can easily take a wild rabbit, and I suspect they wouldn't bat an eyelid at anything up to 3kg: foxes and badgers are a risk to anything up to 6-7kg. But a covered run would be ideal. I use lots of tubes to connect different areas so they have lots of different spaces to keep them busy :) You have a beautiful garden and I totally get free-ranging them! I would go for the biggest meshed encloure (run, aviary etc.) you can afford plus a hutch (you could put it in an aviary) or shed, and they can use all that 24/7, then free-range when you're outside to watch them. We do that with our buns, although usually it's a pen on the lawn as our lawn is small and enclosed by borders with plants we don't want them to eat! We have a playhouse which is a compromise between a shed and a hutch :D But also a tiny hutch they can use, and a run.

Its a beautiful garden, I get why you don't want to deprive them of free roaming there. i remember several years ago we rented a pretty nasty house just because it had a massive garden we knew our rabbits would love. Mine are house buns but I like them to get outside in Spring & Summer where possible. I always loosely supervised mine (ie I'd go inside to make lunch, use the loo, other small distractions). I was gutted to see a stoat (or weasel?) one day meaning I'd never feel confident letting them out unless there were 2 of us 2 supervise. Cats & rabbits I've found are hugely variable in how they are with each other. Decades ago I had a housebun that used to go in to my backyard via a catflap I put in for her - she used to hang out on a pallet n an air raid shelter with a black cat from the neighbourhood. Joey one of my current buns was chased round the garden several times by a cat that looked the same size as him (he is 2.5k) & was really distressed. Its all so unpredictable...so I think you're right to review their housing in the light of safety. They can still play out when you're there to watch.

I think you can still make a run an enriched, safe & fun space but thats not my area. I'd have a look at runaround tubes, connection kits if you're able

Lucky buns getting a new start with you

Hi, thank you so much for sharing & understanding the free roam thing. There’s just to many dangers that would be a risk letting them continue to free roam [emoji22]. I don’t know how my partner would feel with having them indoors. He’s not happy the piggies have a room to themselves to roam but has accepted it. I couldn’t have them outside now after being in so long. I took the buns in but they were scared I think of the laminate floor. The little dwarf is so nervous & wouldn’t even move. Do you think they would get used to it? They were never held before now. We have had them about 3 months & I wanted to give them time to settle outside first. Iv trimmed their nails & they were great. I’d love them to hop around the house for exercise but they didn’t move far especially the little one who seemed terrified. I will let them in garden if we are out there to supervise them. I’m going to have to look into a bigger enclosure for the garden that will keep them safe. My partner & family think I’m crazy with the space & roaming thing & the pigs having a room. I just can’t bare them to be in small cages or hutches or have a small run. We got a run with them at about 2mtres by 1.5 metres but didn’t think it was big enough. They used to dig where they were before to get out xx

I wouldn't free-range mine unsupervised in that garden: too open, any bird of prey (owl, sparrowhawk, buzzard, even a peregrine) could take them easily. Cats are really troublesome too, and wild mammals (stoats, foxes, even badgers) before we get on to reptiles and corvids (crow family). A stoat can easily take a wild rabbit, and I suspect they wouldn't bat an eyelid at anything up to 3kg: foxes and badgers are a risk to anything up to 6-7kg. But a covered run would be ideal. I use lots of tubes to connect different areas so they have lots of different spaces to keep them busy :) You have a beautiful garden and I totally get free-ranging them! I would go for the biggest meshed encloure (run, aviary etc.) you can afford plus a hutch (you could put it in an aviary) or shed, and they can use all that 24/7, then free-range when you're outside to watch them. We do that with our buns, although usually it's a pen on the lawn as our lawn is small and enclosed by borders with plants we don't want them to eat! We have a playhouse which is a compromise between a shed and a hutch :D But also a tiny hutch they can use, and a run.

Hi, thank you for sharing all this helpful info [emoji3590]. Some great suggestions for enclosures. I feel better now after reading the comments about big, safe spaces for them. I will look into this. They have already ate my plants [emoji23] (safe ones though as moved others) Iv been looking at tubes actually for them to run through [emoji4] xx

Hi yes I agree with others you have a beautiful garden, one which I'm sure your bunnies can enjoy safely from a suitable enclosure. Have you had a look at the start of the Housing section, which you posted in ? There is a "sticky" at the start that covers all aspects of outdoor housing, with lots of photos and ideas, that others have shared :) You could maybe try putting a few fleece blankets on the laminate flooring, if bunnies come indoors, they can't really grip on slippy surfaces, or rugs would work too. Good luck, hope you find a solution :D

Hi yes I agree with others you have a beautiful garden, one which I'm sure your bunnies can enjoy safely from a suitable enclosure. Have you had a look at the start of the Housing section, which you posted in ? There is a "sticky" at the start that covers all aspects of outdoor housing, with lots of photos and ideas, that others have shared :) You could maybe try putting a few fleece blankets on the laminate flooring, if bunnies come indoors, they can't really grip on slippy surfaces, or rugs would work too. Good luck, hope you find a solution :D

Hi, thank you I guess I have to just accept they can’t go in the garden anymore [emoji22] roaming free. Iv not looked at housing but will have a look thank you for suggesting that. I may get some ideas from there [emoji4]. Yes I will try the blankets & see if it helps them. The little black one is so scared indoors to move but hopefully will get more used to it xx

Hi, thank you for sharing all this helpful info [emoji3590]. Some great suggestions for enclosures. I feel better now after reading the comments about big, safe spaces for them. I will look into this. They have already ate my plants [emoji23] (safe ones though as moved others) Iv been looking at tubes actually for them to run through [emoji4] xx
Tubes are the blessing and bane of my life :lol: We live in an industrial estate (!) and there's a Western Power engineering facility down the road, they always have loads of tubes, new and offcuts/sections, so if you know a local electrical, phone or similar depot you can always email then and ask if they've got some going! I was lucky, the trams were being built nearby when I got my first load of massive tubes (must've been 2014-15) so I have a selection of all sorts, ribbed, lined, stuff, wobbly (hahaha that all sounds totally dodgy :lol:). If you're anywhere near Nottingham (~1hr drive, or somewhere between here and Essex or here and east Lancashire as I'm off to both places in the not too distant future) and I can always go and ask at Western Power and bundle some into the car for you :D

Tubes are the blessing and bane of my life :lol: We live in an industrial estate (!) and there's a Western Power engineering facility down the road, they always have loads of tubes, new and offcuts/sections, so if you know a local electrical, phone or similar depot you can always email then and ask if they've got some going! I was lucky, the trams were being built nearby when I got my first load of massive tubes (must've been 2014-15) so I have a selection of all sorts, ribbed, lined, stuff, wobbly (hahaha that all sounds totally dodgy :lol:). If you're anywhere near Nottingham (~1hr drive, or somewhere between here and Essex or here and east Lancashire as I'm off to both places in the not too distant future) and I can always go and ask at Western Power and bundle some into the car for you :D

Hi, thank you so much for such a kind offer. I’m in the highlands though so to far. That’s great you managed to get some [emoji4]. Definitely need to look into these for mine. Lol although sounded dodgy made me lol [emoji23] xx

Hi, this is what I do, hope it's of help. Mine have a large hutch and run. When I wake up in the morning I let them out of their run into the garden. by 11am they have taken themselves back in and go back to sleep, so I shut their door.

Later on which can be anything from afternoon to late tea-time, I let them out again and then at about 9pm entice them back in with dinner.

People have different opinions on this, and strong ones I know. My rabbits love to be outside not inside, when the back door is open they come in and say hello, but outside is where they binky and seem very happy.

Hi, this is what I do, hope it's of help. Mine have a large hutch and run. When I wake up in the morning I let them out of their run into the garden. by 11am they have taken themselves back in and go back to sleep, so I shut their door.

Later on which can be anything from afternoon to late tea-time, I let them out again and then at about 9pm entice them back in with dinner.

People have different opinions on this, and strong ones I know. My rabbits love to be outside not inside, when the back door is open they come in and say hello, but outside is where they binky and seem very happy.

Hi, thank you for sharing. Are your rabbits free roam in your garden most of the time? Yes mine go back in the hutch at certain times of day & just chill out in there. Xx

Hi,
Since I started letting them out they never try to escape, they go out in the morning into the garden and when they take themselves back in to their run late morning for a snooze, I shut their door. It makes sense to shut the door to keep them safe. They seem happy with this arrangement!

Then I open it up again later on when they are back up around tea time. Some days they are up til 9pm.

They are very excited to go back in their run and hutch late evening as that is tea time!!!

Then it's bed-time for all of us!

So could you do the same and just shut their door when they are chilling? That might put your mind at rest a bit too.

Hi,
Since I started letting them out they never try to escape, they go out in the morning into the garden and when they take themselves back in to their run late morning for a snooze, I shut their door. It makes sense to shut the door to keep them safe. They seem happy with this arrangement!

Then I open it up again later on when they are back up around tea time. Some days they are up til 9pm.

They are very excited to go back in their run and hutch late evening as that is tea time!!!

Then it's bed-time for all of us!

So could you do the same and just shut their door when they are chilling? That might put your mind at rest a bit too.

Hi thank you for sharing. The little dwarf is always looking for ways to escape & can get through the smallest places. Maybe just it’s personality lol. The big one goes in to hutch at bedtime no bother but the dwarf is a bit of a nightmare & avoids going in. They weren’t tame when I got them at all & Iv took them in & petted them a few times but have left them to settle in. The small one especially is terrified of humans but that’s because they were never handled [emoji22]. We have had to do so much bunny proofing in the garden lol xx

Mine are the same, I've only had a few months, they come up to me and nibble and nudge, but don't want to be handled, but I'm ok with that.

The only way I can get them in at night, is by giving them their dinner and a treat - they love their treat! They literally run in for it. I ran out once and bought some 'inferior' product, they were having none of it!

Mine are the same, I've only had a few months, they come up to me and nibble and nudge, but don't want to be handled, but I'm ok with that.

The only way I can get them in at night, is by giving them their dinner and a treat - they love their treat! They literally run in for it. I ran out once and bought some 'inferior' product, they were having none of it!
We tried to train ours to come in and on to the windowsill for their pellets every night. Aboleth caught on pretty quick, Chibbs seems to be OK with it but isn't food-oriented, and Lopsy just gets distracted part way and sometimes takes FOREVER to come in even though pellets are the Best Thing Ever. He's definitely a few stairs short of the landing :lol: Aboleth was so smart and food-oriented she used to go and get him as she knew she wouldn't get fed until he was there :lol: I'm so glad it works for you!

Aww that’s so sweet they nibble & nudge. My 2 let my little girl pet them sometimes but I think they see me as the one who chases them back in their hutch lol. We have taken them in on couch for pets & they are fine with that. They let me pick them up from hutch also. Oh no lol they do like the best of products haha xx

Back