• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cookie had surgery

I'd keep everything the same personally for now, he's just had an op, I'd just keep an eye, and definitely mention it to the vet :)

Thank Allah-elhamdülillah, he has a very good appetite and eats very well. That's the only thing that makes me happy right now. Today he started to lie in the L shape, that is, in the Cleopatra position. He's starting to heal, if the surgery site hurt, he couldn't lie like this. Do I think right?

I woukd take his cone off while you are with him, so he can eat and drink normally

If I take off his hat I'm afraid it will hurt if I can't put it back on his neck properly. The vet placed gauze neatly around the hat, so that the edges of the hat do not hurt his skin. But she did it by adjusting it comfortably while under narcosis. I don't think I can do it as neatly as he does on the go. Already 3 days left to take off the hat.

I wish Jane (Inspector Morse) could look at my last post
Hopefully she'll see it :)

Tbh with that cone on he probably doesn't feel like himself, most exotic vets over here don't agree with using them for rabbits. But you've gotta follow what you think and your vets advice. It's tough, I wouldn't leave the cone on personally [emoji38] but I'm sure he'll be okay it's only a few more days.

Is he leaving lots of cecotrophes? Coz he won't be able to eat them with the cone on

Hopefully she'll see it :)

Tbh with that cone on he probably doesn't feel like himself, most exotic vets over here don't agree with using them for rabbits. But you've gotta follow what you think and your vets advice. It's tough, I wouldn't leave the cone on personally [emoji38] but I'm sure he'll be okay it's only a few more days.

Is he leaving lots of cecotrophes? Coz he won't be able to eat them with the cone on

Maybe not suitable sewing techniques are applied for rabbits like there, because even pet care is not very common, rabbit care is not known at all. There is no post-operative clothing here, so we have to use a hat.
He poops and eats cecotropes, even though he had a hat on his head, he found a way to eat it. He cecotropes poops and turns around and eats off the ground. I saw him doing this. Sometimes he surprises me with his intelligence, he finds a way to everything. :)

Sorry for forcing you to answer. But I'm a little worried and can't relax if I don't get information from you. Cookie lost 100 grams of weight, but her appetite and eating and drinking are very good. Is this normal after surgery? I apologize again.

What was his weight when he went in for his operation? 100g loss in a 3kg rabbit is less concerning than in a 1kg rabbit.
Was he weighed by you (so the same scales before and after his operation?). Different scales can register weights differently - so it's best to compare weights on the same scales if you can.
Is he eating as much as he usually does?
Are his poos the same in size and quantity as normal?
If you are really concerned, can you speak to your vet, or maybe bring forward his post-op review appointment?

What was his weight when he went in for his operation? 100g loss in a 3kg rabbit is less concerning than in a 1kg rabbit.
Was he weighed by you (so the same scales before and after his operation?). Different scales can register weights differently - so it's best to compare weights on the same scales if you can.
Is he eating as much as he usually does?
Are his poos the same in size and quantity as normal?
If you are really concerned, can you speak to your vet, or maybe bring forward his post-op review appointment?

Cookie is a small breed rabbit, her normal weight was actually 1800 grams. Then I started to apply the right diet program to him and by applying a 4-week diet program, we switched to the right diet and he started to eat hay constantly. He used to eat less hay because I used to give packaged food, not anymore. After following the right diet, Cookie gained 100 grams of weight and became 1900 grams. He was 1900 grams for a few weeks.
Now he weighed 1800 grams after the surgery. He eats as usual and has a great appetite. His poop is normal and healthy. But I'm very sensitive to him, so I'm very worried. I'm waiting for a call from the vet. :(

So 3-4 weeks ago, him weight was 1800 grams, 2 weeks ago he was 1900 grams. After surgery he was 1800 again and not such a chubby bunny, a bunny with an athletic body

Last edited:
So 3-4 weeks ago, him weight was 1800 grams, 2 weeks ago he was 1900 grams. After surgery he was 1800 again and not such a chubby bunny, a bunny with an athletic body
I'm no expert, but this really doesn't sound like anything to worry about!

I'd take the collar off too - not with the intention of putting it back.

100g is not a significant amount of weight for a rabbit. Recently at Mouse's review the vet described the 100g she has gained as within the margin of error. Another vet at the same practice said 100g can be the difference between whether they've had a big pee recently or not. If he is eating, drinking & pooping fine I'm sure he's ok. The collar might be upsetting him on a psychological level though

I'd take the collar off too - not with the intention of putting it back.

100g is not a significant amount of weight for a rabbit. Recently at Mouse's review the vet described the 100g she has gained as within the margin of error. Another vet at the same practice said 100g can be the difference between whether they've had a big pee recently or not. If he is eating, drinking & pooping fine I'm sure he's ok. The collar might be upsetting him on a psychological level though
Yea I agree

So his weight hasn't dropped below his normal baseline weight of 1800g - I wouldn't be worried, as long as he carries on eating normally.

Thank you very much for your answers. He is my first pet, I'm so panicked as it's my first experience. Really your support is very important to me. Thank you all very much.

Bunnies on the forum usually look chubby, with bloated bellies. I pay attention to Cookie, always athletic body, no bloating in the belly, is this normal? I am attaching his video from 1 month ago.

https://streamable.com/0b4wco

Bunnies on the forum usually look chubby, with bloated bellies. I pay attention to Cookie, always athletic body, no bloating in the belly, is this normal? I am attaching his video from 1 month ago.

https://streamable.com/0b4wco
He's still quite young and slender, plus he's male, female buns tend to be a bit heavier set in my experience? Especially once spayed [emoji38] Atticus looks like Cookie, very slender and athletic although he looks thinner than Cookie because he's underweight. Depends on breed too ime, like my rexes are more slender than my mini lops were, even though my mini lops where not overweight at all, they were just a different shape of rabbit.. What breed is Cookie?

He's still quite young and slender, plus he's male, female buns tend to be a bit heavier set in my experience? Especially once spayed [emoji38] Atticus looks like Cookie, very slender and athletic although he looks thinner than Cookie because he's underweight. Depends on breed too ime, like my rexes are more slender than my mini lops were, even though my mini lops where not overweight at all, they were just a different shape of rabbit.. What breed is Cookie?

Does the fact that rabbits are skinny means they are healthy? They said Dutch dwarf rabbit, but he's not quite a dwarf rabbit.

Does the fact that rabbits are skinny means they are healthy? They said Dutch dwarf rabbit, but he's not quite a dwarf rabbit.

Nah rabbits should be their correct weight, which is easier to feel I think. My vet always does it by feel too. Atticus is underweight and really needs to gain some by I can't work out how because his gut issues [emoji38] Apricot is just a little under, she eats loads, she's always been this way, she seems very healthy though. My other rabbit Clementine is overweight [emoji38] and basically always has been since her surgery... Basically my two rexes, Atticus and Clementine have so many health issues, just keeping them ticking over is my main objective [emoji51][emoji38] Apricot is healthy, she's just a little on the skinny and always has been :)

Nah rabbits should be their correct weight, which is easier to feel I think. My vet always does it by feel too. Atticus is underweight and really needs to gain some by I can't work out how because his gut issues [emoji38] Apricot is just a little under, she eats loads, she's always been this way, she seems very healthy though. My other rabbit Clementine is overweight [emoji38] and basically always has been since her surgery... Basically my two rexes, Atticus and Clementine have so many health issues, just keeping them ticking over is my main objective [emoji51][emoji38] Apricot is healthy, she's just a little on the skinny and always has been :)

Oh ok, I understand now. Do you think Cookie is too thin or is him weight normal? :roll:

Back