• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Removeable divider in a hutch

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of building some hutches and would like them to have a dividing wall/door which can be removed so the hutch can be made bigger or separated into two hutches as needed. I thought of something like a chicken house 'pop hole' put in sideways or even a simple hinged door. Has anyone done something like this or has any other ideas? Thanks! Tim. :wave:

Given the amount of space rabbits need, I'm not sure that a standard hutch divided into two would meet RWAF standards.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/

A lot of pet shop flat pack hutches have a slide-in divider for the nest area. It wouldn't take much to add extra sets of runner slots - although they are likely to get chewed by the rabbits.
My personal preference is for fixed vertical dividers as it makes cleaning easier - there are fewer nooks & crannies to gather the grotty bits and harbour disease.

If a hutch was going to be divided for 2 living areas, I would rather have a 2 level large hutch which has the option of conversion to 2 single units of at least 6'x2' - ie a proper, secure hatch in the floor where the ramp usually goes.

I'd also agree with putting the divider in the floor somehow. I've had to separate rabbits before now as well as restrict their space for bonding and separating the hutch at the hole in the floor is the easiest.

You also wanted other suggestions?

Perhaps offer no bedding compartment wall as an option.

When I bought my current hutch I deliberately chose not to have a wall for a bedding area as it took away the flexibility for how I could use the area especially as I wanted to use underbed storage boxes as litter boxes. It's also meant that my rabbits have more hopping around space in bad weather.

Have a look at how and where the ramp is placed/connected and perhaps offer alternatives to ramps.

No bedding compartment has also now meant that with no wall divider I've now had the flexibility to replace the ramp completely with Runaround tubing to adapt the hutch to my rabbits getting older and developing cataracts. The problem I have had is that the hole in the floor is set at the back of the hutch making it rather awkward for the tube to come up through the floor, be secured safely as well as give enough room for the rabbits to enter/exit it. On the plus side, making the change to a tube rather than a ramp means that my rabbits happily rattle up and down it without issue whereas with the ramp (whatever age they were) they were always cautious.

Thanks Shimmer, that makes good sense, I have seen that some places sell nice big two level hutches (Midland do one) where a 'ladder' can give access to two levels.

Just looked at that website and they make very good hutches. If you made 2 x4' hutches with one side missing, that would make an 8' hutch and the divider could be used to make it smaller of course. Just an idea!

Back