Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Best pellets for giant baby buns

  1. #1

    Default Best pellets for giant baby buns

    I am about to get a new baby bunny on Thursday. She is a 10 week old french lop. She is currently on a feed that the breeder mixes herself of Allen and Page natural pellets, flaked peas, barley rings and Readigrass.

    She has agreed that I pay her extra to give me enough food for at least 2 weeks until I wean her over to another feed of my choice.

    I have been looking up feeds on google as she is a giant and it says she is best on a growth feed. Has anyone experience of this? What feeds are good for frenchie babies please?

    My other french lop had Allen and Page breeder and growth pellets but we got a huge sack for him of 20kgs and a lot was wasted. I am happy enough to get that again if it is the best feed but he was not particularly keen on it.

    I've considered Science and Selective junior pellets but not sure that is a growth feed and would it suit a baby french lop? Or is there a feed anybody can recommend? Thank you

    Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    23,650

    Default

    I must admit I haven't come across the term 'growth feed' previously, but I assume it means a feed specially formulated for junior bunnies. I think all of the main rabbit food companies market a food for junior bunnies within their range, the difference being that it is higher in protein i.e. for a growing bunny.

    I can't see that the requirements would be different for a giant than for any other breed of the same age, as long as you adjust the quantity. So, if it were me, I think I would select one of the junior pellets for her.

  3. #3
    Warren Scout Preitler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    349

    Default

    Actually, more protein rich food does makes some sense for big breeds. The digestion system didn't quite scale up when those breeds were created.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preitler View Post
    Actually, more protein rich food does makes some sense for big breeds. The digestion system didn't quite scale up when those breeds were created.
    Yes that's what I read. Would a junior pellet do enough though? So best thing is look at the protein levels and select a higher one then.

    Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

  5. #5

    Default

    Could I maybe give her junior Science Selective and then a little alfafa aswell? I will be giving her Readigrass aswell as she is being fed that by seller plus it would be good for her growth.

    Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedtiggerz69 View Post
    Could I maybe give her junior Science Selective and then a little alfafa aswell? I will be giving her Readigrass aswell as she is being fed that by seller plus it would be good for her growth.

    Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
    I'd be careful with alfalfa, it's got loads of calcium in it, which rabbits can struggle with, can cause bladder sludge build ups. I think just any good junior pellet will be fine personally, but she shouldnt be on enough of them to matter much anyway I'd have thought personally.

  7. #7
    Warren Veteran InspectorMorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    9,394

    Default

    In moderation alfalfa hays are fine for baby Rabbits. They need the protein and calcium.

    Pellet feed. https://www.burgesspetcare.com/shop/...ets-with-mint/

    Not a fan of SS myself due to them causing choking in some Rabbits.

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ective+choking

    But many people do feed them

    https://supremepetfoods.com/products...r-rabbit-food/

    Or you could stick with Allen + Page Breeder Grower Pellets, but you can only buy that in 20kg sacks

    https://millbryhill.co.uk/products/a...MaAs-FEALw_wcB


    ‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

  8. #8
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    In moderation alfalfa hays are fine for baby Rabbits. They need the protein and calcium.

    Pellet feed. https://www.burgesspetcare.com/shop/...ets-with-mint/

    Not a fan of SS myself due to them causing choking in some Rabbits.

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ective+choking

    But many people do feed them

    https://supremepetfoods.com/products...r-rabbit-food/

    Or you could stick with Allen + Page Breeder Grower Pellets, but you can only buy that in 20kg sacks

    https://millbryhill.co.uk/products/a...MaAs-FEALw_wcB
    Yea I fed it in small amounts when the rexes were babies, they absolutely loved it, I found it detracted from other hay eating though which was a problem

  9. #9

    Default

    I recently got a 7 month old Belgian Hare. She came with a large handover bag of Allen & Page, and I've gradually moved her over to Science Select. With her breed she is a woolfer, so with the small amount she has I always break and scatter them.
    Every Bun deserves some love, no matter what their breed, colour or background

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I'd be careful with alfalfa, it's got loads of calcium in it, which rabbits can struggle with, can cause bladder sludge build ups. I think just any good junior pellet will be fine personally, but she shouldnt be on enough of them to matter much anyway I'd have thought personally.
    Ok on the alfafa. I didn't realise it would be unsuitable for baby buns. French lops do need to eat a lot and a lot of people have the view to feed them unlimited pellets. I'm trying to get expert view rather than just on google as it's very confusing. Each answer seems to conflict the other! x

    Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •