Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: home dried hay

Ha ha hay tiara!

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    They will probably eat it if you store it til next year
    Because they are fussy little poops or cos hay is better the year after cropping?

Aww, Mousey must think the hay looks lovely, too, if she wants to wear it.
    (Pronouns: he or they)

Hey guys so i know its deadly to give bunnies lawnmower cuttings because the chemicals released etc. But what if cuttings were kept to completely dry out? Is that safe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
    Hey guys so i know its deadly to give bunnies lawnmower cuttings because the chemicals released etc. But what if cuttings were kept to completely dry out? Is that safe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My understanding is that lawnmower cuttings are not suitable as the lawnmower blades damage the grass blades. This means that they start to ferment very quickly. Even if they were kept to dry out, this fermentation would have already taken place. If you look at lawnmower cuttings, they have sort of a slimey look about them, which has been caused by damage to the grass tissue. Hand cut grass does not suffer in the same way.

Joey & Boo ate 115g from the rack so I chanced putting home dried hay in the litter tray too so its all they had (except fresh grass & dried + fresh forage - but no more given than usual- 28 hours later their poops are still good. I need to buy some hay (feels like its been ages) but will defo dry more. I'm thinking the seed heads might help Mouse with her calorie intake

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Joey & Boo ate 115g from the rack so I chanced putting home dried hay in the litter tray too so its all they had (except fresh grass & dried + fresh forage - but no more given than usual- 28 hours later their poops are still good. I need to buy some hay (feels like its been ages) but will defo dry more. I'm thinking the seed heads might help Mouse with her calorie intake
    Great update great idea to weigh it!

It must feel good to know your bunnies , especially your special girl Mousey, appreciated their primo hand dried mix.
    Our Heidi likes seedheads and when we get the first cutting timothy we take the seedheads from the bag to give to her.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Super update! Yes I think the seed heads should contain slightly more calories, with possibly other nutritional benefits as well. It's also loads of fun to do things like this

I've been thinking, I might have scuppered myself big style here, what if they decide to only eat my hay - that would be right PITA