• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam Now Available Again

Wow, a 32 ml bottle is only about $10 U.S. over there. I pay no less than $30 for a 10 ml bottle. :?

I've been able to get Jenna's metacam even through the shortages by using chewy.com, so I'm surprised you folks haven't had access till now. :(

The sad thing is my vet won't script me for more than 10 ml at a time. I would rather have a good supply in as backup. :(

Wow, a 32 ml bottle is only about $10 U.S. over there. I pay no less than $30 for a 10 ml bottle. :?

I've been able to get Jenna's metacam even through the shortages by using chewy.com, so I'm surprised you folks haven't had access till now. :(

The sad thing is my vet won't script me for more than 10 ml at a time. I would rather have a good supply in as backup. :(

A few months ago I could not get brand name, and only a few 100ml size of generic available from chewy -none smaller-at that time. UK prices are significantly better than US prices.

I am glad it is back in stock because my vet confirmed the shortage was here too.

Last edited:
How long does 10ml last Jenna?

Well, she only gets 0.15 mls once a day, but between pandemic protocols and delayed shipping, plus diminished availability, there were more than a few times last year where I was seriously afraid she would not have access to any. I think she goes through a 10 ml bottle once every 2-3 months? I haven't monitored it that closely so it's just a guess.

At one point the vet allowed me to buy two 10 ml bottles to be certain I wouldn't run out. It would've been disastrous for her as she had severe ocular inflammation and pain at the time.

Now that she's had her surgery her pain levels appear well controlled and I hope to reduce or discontinue her analgesia. I'd like to preserve as much kidney function as possible without aggravating any other pain responses she may still have.

A few months ago I could not get brand name, and only a few 100ml size of generic available from chewy -none smaller-at that time. UK prices are significantly better than US prices.

I am glad it is back in stock because my vet confirmed the shortage was here too.

Yeah, the knock off doesn't help Jenna at all. Weird, because it's the same stuff. But then I don't do well with generic drugs either. In fact a few of her eyedrops we used towards the end of her therapy became available only as generics and I believe their effectiveness was nowhere near as good as the brand names. She showed marked deterioration after using them.

Yeah, the knock off doesn't help Jenna at all. Weird, because it's the same stuff. But then I don't do well with generic drugs either. In fact a few of her eyedrops we used towards the end of her therapy became available only as generics and I believe their effectiveness was nowhere near as good as the brand names. She showed marked deterioration after using them.

I experienced it myself where generic was somehow different from brand name. One made me vomit -at first I thought something else was causing issue.
I never saw that with generic Medicam, yet with bunnies it may just be harder to see a difference.
Iirc medicam is more likely to result in kidney issues if given at higher doses for more than a few days or if the pet is dehydrated. JJ would know if this is correct. Though the benefit with arthritis and other chronic issues. IMO outweighs the risk.
Sending vibes for jenna.

Yes we just got two big bottles on a prescription because our vets normally use the generic these days. The generic version works perfectly well but the rabbits don't like it. The ones who have it regularly come begging for the genuine one and nearly snatch the syringe out of my hand as they can't get it fast enough! It makes the daily meds round far less stres than having to cactch them and force them to swallow something they hate.
But unfortunately now the vets seem to be having trouble getting engemycin and cisapride for us:( Last year they couldn't get ultrapen. At least we have that now as a substitute if the engemycin problem persists. I avoid oral antibiotics because they cause gut upsets and because they actually protest less about being injected than about having to taste something horrible.

Back