• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do or should bunnies drink?

BugBabe

Warren Scout
I am just asking as my boys have not been drinking as much lately. I know I change their water everyday more some days but they just don't seem to be touching it. They are eating well and seem to enjoy their food. At first I thought maybe the bottle wasn't working but it is. Any ideas?
A normal diet for them is: Hay - oodles of it as they are outside buns too. Pellets and twice a day I give them different veggies and fruit depending on what I have in but theses are the favourites:
White cabbage
Green cabbage
celery
cucumber
tomato
banana
carrot
brussels
brocoli
cauliflower
apple

Thanks
Anna

The average rate for a bunny is 150ml/day. That's average, slightly less for small bunnies, more for bigger buns.

Having said that, mine drink about 250mls/day and they're small...

Sheffield and Monopoly will normally get through their 500ml bottle in just under 24hrs, but some days when I check they've barely had 100ml between them.

It sounds like they're having quite a lot of veg, so maybe they don't need as much water in their diet.

My 3 that are together hardly ever touch there water, they get hay, veggies and pellets every day and there is a water bottle (which I know they can all use!!) they seem ok and this has been the norm since I got them.

Squishie drinks more though.

The only time mine drinks alot is when she is ill, I assume she gets all she needs from veggies and hay.

You say that they are outside buns so does that mean that they are grazing?

Because if that's the case then they will be getting their water from the grass and the fruit and veg that you are feeding, to them.

Lets face it how many water bottles have you spoted in hedge rows :) and how many farmers do you know that would fill them :D

yep they graze pretty much for about 8 hours a day! The rest of the time they are in their hutch. We like to call em free range buns! :lol: and doesn't our garden know it! The other half was joking about getting them harnesses and walking them round the front garden in the summer instead of using a lawn mower!!! :lol: we could make a fortune!

My rabbit is a house rabbit and he doesnt drink more than 50mls a day id say. He has a 250ml bottle and its never half empty, usually just about a quarter or less missing. He does have a bowl for when he's out of his cage in the evenings but that never seems to go down, he has the odd lick out of it i think. He has always been the same drinking and does get cabbage/carrots every day.

rngpwelfare said:
Lets face it how many water bottles have you spoted in hedge rows :) and how many farmers do you know that would fill them :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

not many :roll: ...infact none :roll: :lol:

You could always try him with a bowl as well as a bottle, some of ours use both. Mojo and Grace prefer a bowl although they do have a bottle as well as a bowl in the outdoor run. Bear loves both, and he will also drink out of the dog's water bowl :roll:

When I got Cosmos he drained his 500ml bottle on Sun and Mon - I was worried he was diabetic, then after his op he has been drinking what I would consider normal amounts of 100 mls a day -but he has also had wad loads of fesh veg the last few days too!

Caz

Back