• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question on tarpaulin colour and keeping cool

bundit

Warren Scout
Quick question. If I put a white tarpaulin over a run will it keep the run cooler than say a green one?

Or if I put multiple tarps over a run will that keep it cooler.

I though white would be coolest, then thinking about it, it might let some light in, so might be warmer underneath than a thick green tarp?

Hmmm. Thanks.

Wouldn't the tarpaulin block the airflow further? Wouldn't this cause the environment to get hotter?

Yes, I would think a sheet would be better than a tarpaulin. You surely only need something that will create shade.

It keeps the sun off them and keeps them in the shade. Our garden gets warm at the end of the day, they have a little bit of shade from the hedge, but the tarp creates greater shade. There is plenty of ventilation still.

Me being me, I'd be trying it out with a thermometer underneath, to see which gives the best results!

We had two tarps over our run, one was pink the other clear, was just over the top so air flow was fine and the pink created lots of shade it was insulted or something though? Not entirely sure but it's a runaround one. It wasn't too hot under there at all :)

We had roofing felt out for Buttons (up the side of the dog crate, not as a roof) and that was warm right next to it but cooler a few inches away :thumb:

We put umbrellas in the ground so our bunnies had mini shade spots. Looked super cute too [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can afford it, invest in Aluminet covers. They come in various sizes, cheapest is Amazon (they come from China) but you can buy from the UK they are just a LOT ore expensive for the same thing. They allow light through but allow good airflow, create shade, and actually help to reduce the temperature underneath. I have one for each of my vehicles as my dog travels everywhere with me and it is the deal breaker that keeps him safe, all the cool mats and fans and ice blocks can't make up for the different these sheets make.

Thanks so much everyone. Talking of umbrellas, I did drag the parasol round from the front to the back it is massive and we have a tiny garden, it looked ridiculous and was a bit unstable, was worried it would fall on them. I have got a little kiddies umbrella I will try though.

I checked out those aluminet covers, they look the business and has good reviews. There is a cheaper version, but with no reviews...I'll chew it over :)

Thanks so much everyone. Talking of umbrellas, I did drag the parasol round from the front to the back it is massive and we have a tiny garden, it looked ridiculous and was a bit unstable, was worried it would fall on them. I have got a little kiddies umbrella I will try though.

I checked out those aluminet covers, they look the business and has good reviews. There is a cheaper version, but with no reviews...I'll chew it over :)
I wouldn't use umbrellas tbh, we did for a bit and if there's wind they fall over can be bad :(

Yes, I thought it was way to unstable, I was just going to use a little kids brolly. Anyway, I've ordered some v. expensive silver tarp, I went with good reviews rather than cheapness. I'll be living next door to them soon, in a cardboard box, the amount they have cost me!! Pesky bunnies. :lol:

Yes, I thought it was way to unstable, I was just going to use a little kids brolly. Anyway, I've ordered some v. expensive silver tarp, I went with good reviews rather than cheapness. I'll be living next door to them soon, in a cardboard box, the amount they have cost me!! Pesky bunnies. [emoji38]
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] Know that feeling [emoji38]

Where'd you get it from? Could you let me know how it does? Might get some for the run if it's good! :)

I bought of Amazon in the end. I did see some really cheap silver tarp on ebay but I went for the best reviews.

There was also the identical one to the one I purchased for a fiver cheaper, but the arrival time was July, so I paid a bit more to get a UK company (or in fact faster deliver from overseas, not sure). It was nearly £40 for a 10x6 foot. You may not need so large, but I wanted to to drape right over one side. For the larger run I'm going to use the white tarp I already have, I just wanted one space where it was nice and cool.

Min'll be arriving this week, I'll definitely keep you updated!

I bought of Amazon in the end. I did see some really cheap silver tarp on ebay but I went for the best reviews.

There was also the identical one to the one I purchased for a fiver cheaper, but the arrival time was July, so I paid a bit more to get a UK company (or in fact faster deliver from overseas, not sure). It was nearly £40 for a 10x6 foot. You may not need so large, but I wanted to to drape right over one side. For the larger run I'm going to use the white tarp I already have, I just wanted one space where it was nice and cool.

Min'll be arriving this week, I'll definitely keep you updated!
Ah thanks!

My runs 8ft by 8ft but yea good to have some that goes over the sides

That is exactly what I bought :)
I'm just using it to cover a small run. They have a brand new large hutch which they occasionally visit (!) leading to this small run by a tunnel (outside tunnel). They basically spend all their time in the little run, so this is the one that I'll keep cool. This small run leads to a bigger run which they occasionally visit, I'll also cover some of the large run in a white tarp. I just want them to have one cool spot as our garden gets really hot in the afternoon. Unfortunately there's no trees or anything for shade. The garden is only tiny. They are out free in the garden a lot too, at least twice a day for a few hours. That seems to be all they want, they head back home after a bit and snooze.

Back