Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a giant continental rabbit

Default Thinking of getting a giant continental rabbit

We already have Beauty and Harliquin ( nethie dwarf crosses) and Iím just doing research as I have never owned a larger rabbit. I would be looking at a boy. Just wondering if there would be much difference from being a bunny mummy to smaller rabbits other then larger every thing and more space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

Giants need a vast amount of space. They cannot be kept in a hutch. They need the same welfare standards as any Rabbit, including companionship of another Rabbit. Are you thinking of bonding the Giant with your two current Rabbits ?

Giants can be prone to certain health problems such as heart disease and spinal/ hip problems. That said it is not inevitable that the Giant will have any health problem at all. So do your research when sourcing the Rabbit. Giants bred to be extra large are far more likely to have problems.

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Giants need a vast amount of space. They cannot be kept in a hutch. They need the same welfare standards as any Rabbit, including companionship of another Rabbit. Are you thinking of bonding the Giant with your two current Rabbits ?

Giants can be prone to certain health problems such as heart disease and spinal/ hip problems. That said it is not inevitable that the Giant will have any health problem at all. So do your research when sourcing the Rabbit. Giants bred to be extra large are far more likely to have problems.
    Yes it would be bonded with my Nethie girls after settling in. Our girls are spoilt and currently free roam in the livingroom hallway and kitchen but do have a pen as a home base and are never shut away in it. I couldnít imagine any hutch ever being big enough for a continental giant! Eventally we would also open up the bedrooms to the buns as well.

I have read some information on heart disease sore hocks and a few other illnesses that are more common in giant rabbit breeds but need to look up into a little more depth to be confident in that area.

Weíre not looking at right now because of other commitments but in the near future when we can dedicate a lot of time for being home a lot. My daughter is home educated so this wonít be a problem and we could work up to being out part of the day preferably after bonding.

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

Bonding a third Rabbit of any size into an established pair of Does will be a big challenge. Whilst it might work out you need to be prepared for a worst case scenario - that the third Rabbit causes the bond between the pair to break down leaving you with three single Rabbits who hate each other.

I have kept Rabbits for 25 years, personally I would not attempt to bond a third Rabbit with a pair of Does. Doe/Doe bonds are always the most fragile at the best of times. Others may disagree with me though.

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !

I had to take the bond between the girls slow after neutering ( bond broke as babies) Iím willing and able to do a slow bond between all three if need be and although not ideal for the humans in the house we could have two pairs and split the flat completly down the middle if need be.

Harlie is really laid back and took to bonding really well so I donít anticipate any problems there. Beauty is quiet a fiesty girl though so I expect there to be an issue or two from here if any.

I have spoken to a few people with many years of rabbit bonding under their belt and they think itís worth trying but Iím prepared if it doesnít go to plan.

The main difference is their personalities tbh. Larger bunnies can be almost more dog like. My hare craves human interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
    The main difference is their personalities tbh. Larger bunnies can be almost more dog like. My hare craves human interaction.

I did read that the continental giants are more affectionate. I would have a good mix of personalities then as Beauty is a little sass monster and wants nothing to do with Humans, Harlie is very laid back and will tolerate human interaction but doesnít come for it on her own you have to go to her and start with tempting with a favriot toy so a continental giant would be the next step up to that.

Oh wow a hare. Iíve not seen or heard of many people owning one.

I have a flemish x He has unlimited access to the whole of downstairs and supervised access to the garden. He can not climb the stairs easily at all so does not go upstairs. Personally I feel he has not enough space with the lounge, dining room, kitchen and leantoo and then out into the garden to actually run - run properly. I watch videos on this forum and given my boys size he never gets a really good speed up. Something I am sure he might like to do.
    I have said about him not managing stairs but he loves to climb and does crave humans, if you are sat watching TV he has to be next to you. IF you are eating he has to have a look and will climb to see what you are eating - yes even on the dining table lol

I had real issues bonding Rups with Susan - my fault and in the end got professional help. Rups was too bonded with humans to be bothered about rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by tatty29 View Post
    Oh wow a hare. Iíve not seen or heard of many people owning one.
    Have a google of Belgian Hares and youíll fall in love

Quote Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
    Have a google of Belgian Hares and youíll fall in love

I just googled and they look amazing. Almost reminded me of a dog sitting from the neck down. Beautiful and powerful.