• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of getting a giant continental rabbit

tatty29

New Kit
We already have Beauty and Harliquin ( nethie dwarf crosses) and I’m just doing research as I have never owned a larger rabbit. I would be looking at a boy. Just wondering if there would be much difference from being a bunny mummy to smaller rabbits other then larger every thing and more space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giants need a vast amount of space. They cannot be kept in a hutch. They need the same welfare standards as any Rabbit, including companionship of another Rabbit. Are you thinking of bonding the Giant with your two current Rabbits ?

Giants can be prone to certain health problems such as heart disease and spinal/ hip problems. That said it is not inevitable that the Giant will have any health problem at all. So do your research when sourcing the Rabbit. Giants bred to be extra large are far more likely to have problems.

Giants need a vast amount of space. They cannot be kept in a hutch. They need the same welfare standards as any Rabbit, including companionship of another Rabbit. Are you thinking of bonding the Giant with your two current Rabbits ?

Giants can be prone to certain health problems such as heart disease and spinal/ hip problems. That said it is not inevitable that the Giant will have any health problem at all. So do your research when sourcing the Rabbit. Giants bred to be extra large are far more likely to have problems.

Yes it would be bonded with my Nethie girls after settling in. Our girls are spoilt and currently free roam in the livingroom hallway and kitchen but do have a pen as a home base and are never shut away in it. I couldn’t imagine any hutch ever being big enough for a continental giant! Eventally we would also open up the bedrooms to the buns as well.

I have read some information on heart disease sore hocks and a few other illnesses that are more common in giant rabbit breeds but need to look up into a little more depth to be confident in that area.

We’re not looking at right now because of other commitments but in the near future when we can dedicate a lot of time for being home a lot. My daughter is home educated so this won’t be a problem and we could work up to being out part of the day preferably after bonding.

Bonding a third Rabbit of any size into an established pair of Does will be a big challenge. Whilst it might work out you need to be prepared for a worst case scenario - that the third Rabbit causes the bond between the pair to break down leaving you with three single Rabbits who hate each other.

I have kept Rabbits for 25 years, personally I would not attempt to bond a third Rabbit with a pair of Does. Doe/Doe bonds are always the most fragile at the best of times. Others may disagree with me though.

I had to take the bond between the girls slow after neutering ( bond broke as babies) I’m willing and able to do a slow bond between all three if need be and although not ideal for the humans in the house we could have two pairs and split the flat completly down the middle if need be.

Harlie is really laid back and took to bonding really well so I don’t anticipate any problems there. Beauty is quiet a fiesty girl though so I expect there to be an issue or two from here if any.

I have spoken to a few people with many years of rabbit bonding under their belt and they think it’s worth trying but I’m prepared if it doesn’t go to plan.

The main difference is their personalities tbh. Larger bunnies can be almost more dog like. My hare craves human interaction.

The main difference is their personalities tbh. Larger bunnies can be almost more dog like. My hare craves human interaction.

I did read that the continental giants are more affectionate. I would have a good mix of personalities then as Beauty is a little sass monster and wants nothing to do with Humans, Harlie is very laid back and will tolerate human interaction but doesn’t come for it on her own you have to go to her and start with tempting with a favriot toy so a continental giant would be the next step up to that.

Oh wow a hare. I’ve not seen or heard of many people owning one.

I have a flemish x He has unlimited access to the whole of downstairs and supervised access to the garden. He can not climb the stairs easily at all so does not go upstairs. Personally I feel he has not enough space with the lounge, dining room, kitchen and leantoo and then out into the garden to actually run - run properly. I watch videos on this forum and given my boys size he never gets a really good speed up. Something I am sure he might like to do.
I have said about him not managing stairs but he loves to climb and does crave humans, if you are sat watching TV he has to be next to you. IF you are eating he has to have a look and will climb to see what you are eating - yes even on the dining table lol

I had real issues bonding Rups with Susan - my fault and in the end got professional help. Rups was too bonded with humans to be bothered about rabbits.

Have a google of Belgian Hares and you’ll fall in love

I just googled and they look amazing. Almost reminded me of a dog sitting from the neck down. Beautiful and powerful.

282712d9ee690e9ea75772cae938114d.jpg

Odin is like a dog - he’s very trainable and loves people. Have had trouble bonding him however as he’s so different to the others. He’s very cuddly with people though. His behaviours crack me up [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

282712d9ee690e9ea75772cae938114d.jpg

Odin is like a dog - he’s very trainable and loves people. Have had trouble bonding him however as he’s so different to the others. He’s very cuddly with people though. His behaviours crack me up [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Odin is gorgeous and being very trainable sounds like a big plus as well as a lot of fun. Have you managed to bond him with any of your others or is he curently on his own? His face looks looks so expressive.
If my daughter wasn’t so in love with conti’s And we had a bigger place or a safe outdoors large space I might consider a Belgian Hare or two.

Did you used to have a different username? I'm sure you recognise your bun's names, I hope they're doing well!

Trios are considered more difficult to bond, so as others have said you need to be prepared for what you will do if the bond doesn't work, which may be easier said than done with a rabbit as large as that! It may be best to stick with the two if they're well bonded as they are.

Did you used to have a different username? I'm sure you recognise your bun's names, I hope they're doing well!

Trios are considered more difficult to bond, so as others have said you need to be prepared for what you will do if the bond doesn't work, which may be easier said than done with a rabbit as large as that! It may be best to stick with the two if they're well bonded as they are.

Hi. Yes I was here a good while ago but I forgot both my user name and password so had to create a new profile. Beauty was a dental bunny every 3-6 weeks we were at the vets for her teeth but she’s not needed a dental in the last 15months and Harlie had a lot of problems with EC after I left the forum but has been well now nearly nine months so bun wise all is going really well.

I have managed to bond them but it is very fragile and took almost a year but there is still chasing nipping and fur pulling sometimes but when they are happy they sit together eat together and groom each other.

I was told that introducing a dominant male to make a trio would help so I would like to try and bond them with a Continental Giant and being affectionate to humans might show them we’re not so bad as well.

I have the space to bond them and if it doesn’t work I also have the space and finances to house two completely separate pairs if need be. To be honest I don’t see any problems with Harlie as she is so layed back. If any thing it will be Beauty that starts the issues.

Hi. Yes I was here a good while ago but I forgot both my user name and password so had to create a new profile. Beauty was a dental bunny every 3-6 weeks we were at the vets for her teeth but she’s not needed a dental in the last 15months and Harlie had a lot of problems with EC after I left the forum but has been well now nearly nine months so bun wise all is going really well.

I have managed to bond them but it is very fragile and took almost a year but there is still chasing nipping and fur pulling sometimes but when they are happy they sit together eat together and groom each other.

I was told that introducing a dominant male to make a trio would help so I would like to try and bond them with a Continental Giant and being affectionate to humans might show them we’re not so bad as well.

I have the space to bond them and if it doesn’t work I also have the space and finances to house two completely separate pairs if need be. To be honest I don’t see any problems with Harlie as she is so layed back. If any thing it will be Beauty that starts the issues.

You're a lot braver than me Lisa [emoji38] trios scare me, although all bonding does tbh. I hope your daughter is doing well :)

You're a lot braver than me Lisa [emoji38] trios scare me, although all bonding does tbh. I hope your daughter is doing well :)

I have no choice but to be brave with having Beauty [emoji23] she’s quiet the madame and going through so much with her then bonding them after two failed attempts teeth, leg injury, staf infection then reoccurring EC with fits for Harlie I think has made me think it’s possible. I have spoken to a rabbit savvy yet and both had checkups and the all clear.

My daughter is doing well thank you. Continuing the home Ed so also have lots of time to care for an extra bun once she’s had her heart op next month.

Hope you are all well :)

I’ve had a lot of trios in the past. Never really had a problem.

6963f56e5f5a8814cb348ec023a9bc23.jpg

Sometimes you find they hang out in pairs while the other goes off to eat or keep watch etc. but that’s pretty natural. They switch up who they pair with each time so I’ve never had a problem with one being excluded.

At the moment I have a group of 4 where one is being bullied and the other three are bonded. (I’m going to work on it though don’t worry).

I’ve had a lot of trios in the past. Never really had a problem.

6963f56e5f5a8814cb348ec023a9bc23.jpg

Sometimes you find they hang out in pairs while the other goes off to eat or keep watch etc. but that’s pretty natural. They switch up who they pair with each time so I’ve never had a problem with one being excluded.

At the moment I have a group of 4 where one is being bullied and the other three are bonded. (I’m going to work on it though don’t worry).

Thankyou. This gives me more hope that I can achieve my goal of happy buns because at the end of the day that’s why I’m doing it. I want to strengthen their bond if I can.
I’ve heard of bun guard’s in trio’s before and as long as no one is left out I think it will benifit my girls.
Your buns are so cute all sharing the bed. I have my fingers crossed for you that you can sort the bullying.

The two girls I currently have.
3e5c1c0126950ffb4a5dc7ca011cb676.jpg

Adding in a male will be highly unlikely to strengthen the bond between your girls. Afraid I am another who really doesn’t like trio’s but good luck if you decide to go for it :)

I would question the knowledge of the person that advised a dominant male into two females, I’m afraid!

Back