• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of getting a giant continental rabbit

282712d9ee690e9ea75772cae938114d.jpg

Odin is like a dog - he’s very trainable and loves people. Have had trouble bonding him however as he’s so different to the others. He’s very cuddly with people though. His behaviours crack me up [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He is beautiful. RSPCA Walsall are currently looking for homes for some hares. Though, why is he wearing a harness? :(

why is he wearing a harness? :(

He prefers the booster seat for car journeys. Pic was taken when i took him in and tried a new harness as he’s too big for his bunny one. He’s honestly so different to other bunnies which i would never use a harness. I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one sorry.

I’m on a Belgian hare group and a lot of people use them on there too. Not that that makes it right or wrong though x

9591cd11889f0743fa729ad216ccd963.jpg

2d93fe0ef72cf21ac82f11269fd1b969.jpg

Last edited:
But i must say I’m not encouraging anyone else to use a harness. It’s important to know the risks and make a decision for yourself x

But i must say I’m not encouraging anyone else to use a harness. It’s important to know the risks and make a decision for yourself x

I have three Belgian hares here at the moment and agree they are different to other bunnies. I could still never use a harness on them, but if you’re happy doing so then so be it.

It’s been a while since I’ve been around but decided to update on the possibly getting a conti situation.

We now have a quad with my girls who we already had and then I got my first conti Shade ( black ) and we fell so hard in love with him we got his brother Rio ( agouti ) six weeks later as he kept being returned through no fault of his own.

In the beginning I had the boys in separate rooms away from the girls. They were neutered and both recovered wonderfully. We bonded just before Christmas and it was so comical. When they all saw each other for the first time they stared at each other in what looked like shock and were saying you call these rabbits. We had a few days of humping and chasing but then it settled down and from there it went like a dream with no troubles at all not even from Beauty who I was expecting to put a spanner in the works at some point. 5 months later and they are still together without issue. Beauty has even mellowed around the boys and the bond has gone from strength to strength between all four.

They’ve just turned a year old and and it’s been amazing watching the boys develop their personality’s and grow. It’s also been really good to see the girls get on much better.

Here are some pictures.

04a95fe97a4cf944fda098f050cd0a01.jpg

d6061e83ca09ed6c06396fcc7e50988a.jpg

3798c5b028e3f3c348b92dfa2195f573.jpg

274d296b4ee393787cc46564f2a63c20.jpg

fba63213ed64c602d80d4049ad97ce09.jpg

886e84b49e4a6524e101226a8cf6f70e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you every one.

I love just sitting on the floor with them giving strokes and just watching them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonding a third Rabbit of any size into an established pair of Does will be a big challenge. Whilst it might work out you need to be prepared for a worst case scenario - that the third Rabbit causes the bond between the pair to break down leaving you with three single Rabbits who hate each other.

I have kept Rabbits for 25 years, personally I would not attempt to bond a third Rabbit with a pair of Does. Doe/Doe bonds are always the most fragile at the best of times. Others may disagree with me though.

Thats very true I once rescued a Flemish giant doe and it didn't go to well when I put her with my bonded does, they would always bully her then she ends up in the corner to scared to run about and enjoy herself during play time. My two does were very wild and could get aggressive when they wanted to where as the Flemish giant was very gentle. She ended up living in the dinning room with a large dog create that she slept in and she got the room to herself while the other two does played outside and had there own hutch.

Back