• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting after the vets!?

Tiggertime

Young Bun
As if these bunnies aren't stressing us out enough at the minute, this evening they've started fighting.

Bonded boy and girl, neutered and spayed, and we've had Tigger along to the vet this evening with his ongoing nose problem. Sophia has come along each time on his visits and when we've gotten home they've been no bother, back to kisses, cuddles and snuggles.

It seemed that way tonight too, kisses, cuddles, but then they've suddenly erupted into a brawl. Circling, chasing and sadly a few chunks of each other's coats pulled out. We can't believe it.

A bit of Circling has happened after a vets visit in the past which is why we followed the advice to take them together. We just dunno why the fallout? They are in separate carriers when we go...would a double carrier if you can get such a thing be better if we can fingers crossed repair the bond?

It might have been something which has blown over now so I would try them back together. Hope they will be ok.

If Tigger is feeling less well now due to his ongoing RT problems that could also weaken their bond.

How are they getting on now ?

I'm so sorry Tigger and Sophia are fighting. :( I hope they'll soon get along again. Is there a reason you take them to the vets in separate carriers? Are Tigger and Sophie too big for one carrier? I'm just asking because I'm not sure it helps much if you take them in separate carriers, because they'll still be, well, separated. But, like IM said, Tigger's health problems can be why they've fallen out, too. Bunnies can be pretty mean to their friends when their friend isn't feeling well. It can upset their bond.

If Tigger is feeling less well now due to his ongoing RT problems that could also weaken their bond.

How are they getting on now ?

I think he's partly to blame to be honest - he's been getting back to himself last couple of days after his related tummy issue (snotty nose ongoing), so his feistiness (and humpiness) has returned, so I think he's reasserting himself. We have two cages and I thought for safety we should perhaps lock them in and keep them apart last night but our lass being stubborn decided to sleep downstairs on the floor with them as she was frightened keeping them apart would worsen things. Touch wood they've been ok and she's working from home today so has been sat in with them. Just speaking to her she thinks they're over it - they've been tucked up together snuggling - but I think we should err on the side of caution and keep watch for a bit longer.

I think he's partly to blame to be honest - he's been getting back to himself last couple of days after his related tummy issue (snotty nose ongoing), so his feistiness (and humpiness) has returned, so I think he's reasserting himself. We have two cages and I thought for safety we should perhaps lock them in and keep them apart last night but our lass being stubborn decided to sleep downstairs on the floor with them as she was frightened keeping them apart would worsen things. Touch wood they've been ok and she's working from home today so has been sat in with them. Just speaking to her she thinks they're over it - they've been tucked up together snuggling - but I think we should err on the side of caution and keep watch for a bit longer.

Sounds as though they have sorted things out. Hope they continue to behave themselves.

I'm so sorry Tigger and Sophia are fighting. :( I hope they'll soon get along again. Is there a reason you take them to the vets in separate carriers? Are Tigger and Sophie too big for one carrier? I'm just asking because I'm not sure it helps much if you take them in separate carriers, because they'll still be, well, separated. But, like IM said, Tigger's health problems can be why they've fallen out, too. Bunnies can be pretty mean to their friends when their friend isn't feeling well. It can upset their bond.

I suppose it's just what we've always had?

Sophia is a decent size - she's a (we think) mini lop. Tigger's a bit smaller - he's down as a lion hair on his papers but there's something else in there too I think.

Sophia seems a very supportive partner usually - I think it might be more a case that either he can't be bothered or he's getting back to hismself.

I'm glad they've stopped fighting. Keeping an eye on them for a while sounds wise, though, but hopefully they're good friends again. That's so good that Sophia is usually a very supportive partner to Tigger. :love: If you can, I think I'd recommend using one carrier for them? They'll be better able to support each other and comfort each other when they're in the same carrier. :)

I'm glad they've stopped fighting. Keeping an eye on them for a while sounds wise, though, but hopefully they're good friends again. That's so good that Sophia is usually a very supportive partner to Tigger. :love: If you can, I think I'd recommend using one carrier for them? They'll be better able to support each other and comfort each other when they're in the same carrier. :)
I agree with this :thumb: when I had my quad I had to get a small dog crate to carry them all together!

When initially bonding my last pair, and they got a little grumpy and had a little scuffle with each other. I would pop them in a carrier together and carry it around the house with me for a while until I felt I could try/trust them in the pen together again. If they scuffled we would start it over again.

Hope they settle back together soon.x

Back