• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

This is what they removed from Leo's stomach - WARNING - GRAPHIC CONTENT.

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Leo's surgican vet sent me an email late last night to say she was thinking of Leo (and us) and wanted to share with us, the images she took of the appendix/parasites and matter that she removed from Leo yesterday. These are the images

This I believe is the parasite and appendix
Qr5nTPc.jpg
[/IMG]

And this is the stomach blockage
U9ija9D.jpg
[/IMG]

It's like something out of a horror movie isn't it. It's no wonder Leo was so poorly.

Gosh that appendix looks very swollen, and you can see the fur in the blockage. No wonder poor Leo wasn't feeling good, but knowing your bunnies so well, you acted quickly as always to get him help. Sending him many many vibes for a quick recovery x

It does seem strange that it didn't show on the x-ray. I'm also confused as to why the blood glucose level wasn't elevated. If Leo's vet says that this isn't always the case, do we have to re-think this?

Poor little lad :(

Oh, he must've been so uncomfortable with all that inside of him. :( I, too, wonder how that blockage didn't show up on the x-ray. That's so strange!

It is hard to see this things on x-ray. Metal, plastic etc hard material is much easier to observe. Wood also does not show on x-ray. X-ray with contrast would show obstruction.
I wish you speedy recovery.

Poor Leo. He is so lucky to have such an observant carer and such an experienced vet. Topping up the vibes xxx

That's a massive appendix, I bet it feels better out! The mass from the stomach may not have shown up if it's more permeable, x-rays are great for proper solids but if it's a non-dense mass the rays may go straight through it. Intersting re: glucose though.

Hope he starts eating soon as well :thumb: I can see why he might have been reluctant, but he just needs the process to start again to get going :D

Just my thoughts from a similar presentation with Binky.

Although there was a blockage, my guess is that the build up of matter in the stomach was because the guts slowed down because of a lack of desire to eat because of the infection. This became an obstruction but because of the underlying cause/sequence of events it didn't present in the same way as a primary blockage therefore didn't cause the blood glucose to elevate as it wasn't causing the same pressure (because he'd already lost the desire to eat, therefore no backing up). This is also why it wouldn't show up on x-ray because (from what I can gather) they don't always see the obstruction on the x-ray but the evidence that surrounds it, eg gas before or after it or throughout the intestines etc which follows a pattern so if the gas isn't there it's because it can't get through because of the blockage.

The presentation of it all was pretty similar to Binky's except his infection was assumed to be in his pancreas rather than appendix. .. remarkably similar otherwise though.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ery-He-s-gone-p128-PM-results&highlight=binky

Just my theory, I could be waaay out.

Wishing Leo a speedy recovery and no reoccurrences!

Edit to add: I have actually had a few rabbits have surgery for blockages where the blood glucose isn't sky high but other evidence added up to it being a blockage... then Lolly had a blood glucose of 30 and that was a liver torsion ...

Last edited:
Back