• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering question!!!

Morning all,

Ive just taken my bunnies to the vets this morning, they might even be having the operation now!!!!

When i called the vets they said not to feed the bunny for 12hours. I didnt think much of it as thats what the vet said. But looking on here ive read that they should be fed up until their operation, is this true or does it depend on what vet u take them to??

They didnt eat anything last night, although they might have eaten the odd poo!!! i put their pen in the kitchen last night and thats where they stayed all night without food!!
i went to them this morning and they seemed fine, running around and chewing all their toys.

sam x

You should never starve your bunnies before an operation. In fact I always make sure my bunnies have a big pile of hay to chomp on while they're waiting for the vet to get to them. They don't vomit under anaesthetic, and the bunny tum is so sensitive anyway that's it not necessary and it does more harm than good. When you collect your bunnies you need to have words with your vet. You were given BAD advice.

Because rabbits can't vomit and need to have food constantly moving through their gut it is usually recommended to allow the bunny to eat right up until the op and offer food again straight after. Is your vet used to operating on rabbits as they need special anaesthetic too?

Caz

Edit: Bertie's fingers faster than a speeding bullet again!!

Sam was it the vet or the receptionist who told you to fast your bun?

I had this problem before when a receptionist told me to withhold food prior to a dental op for a bun. I'm afraid I lost the plot a bit in the reception area :oops: as I knew it was wrong to stop feeding prior to the op, and then I lost the plot with the vet too when I told him what she had said to me :oops: :oops: I don't use this vet any more as I lost confidence in them. I hunted around and found a wonderful bunny-savvy one, she and I get on like a house on fire and is always available to answer my questions and accepts my stupidity with good grace :roll: !

ummmm

Yes.
The vet surgery is one for small animals but they do take in dogs and cats but they are mainly for small animals!!

I dont understand why A VET said to me to starve them?? He should know more about them than me!!!!

I know about their digestive system, and made sure i took in a tub of their food, as i know a change in diet can upset them, so i took in some of their food and some grass, so maybe the girl that i gave them to, she might give them some food!!

Im so worried about them now - im at work and cant do anything, i dont even drive.
the vet said for me to call at 2 if they've not phoned me, thats nearly 3 hours away!!!

ohhhh im pulling my hair out just sitting here!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I feel so mad!!!!

Im definatly gonna have a go at someone when i go and collect them tonight!!!

If anything happens to them, i wont be able to forgive myself!!!

just look at their little faces, they are the most sweetest bunnies ever, naughty sometimes lol, but i love them so much

x

OK take a deep breath and count to 10 :)!

It was bad advice but it isn't the end of the world. The vet nurse may have more knowledge of bunnies and have given them their food, there was probably hay in the cage at the vets when they were waiting and I am sure if you took their own food in they will be offered it upon waking.

I have always found making a scene gets you nowhere as people clam up and don't listen. I always get a better response when I explain things calmy and sensibly, perhaps take along the RWA guide to neutering http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/neutleaf.htm and point out the bit that says they should be fed right up until the surgery then you can help future bunnies going in for an op! Explain that you are very upset and worried about your buns and ask if the nurse has seen them eat/produce pellets since surgery. Keep an eye on them when you get them home (clean out their cage/litter tray before putting them in it) and if they aren't eating or you can't see fresh poos within a few hours ring the vet emergency helpline.

My vet says it is always a good sign if you have to ring them after an op as it means nothing has gone wrong - mine have my number and said if they ring that is when to worry!

Don't worry - try and keep yourself distracted by keeping busy at work! :D

Thinking of you!

Caz

P.S. And if there are complications demand a reduction in the fees because of their bad advice

Thanks!!

Awww thanks for your advice

i weren't thinking of blowing my top!! was just gonna mention the fact that someone had told me to starve my buns when they shoudn't have been. Im not gonna say nothing as they have prob been telling everyone to starve their rabbits when infact they shouldn't and hopefully they wont be telling anyone else to starve their buns!!!

I just cant get over the fact the someone who works in a vets told me this information!!

Ive still not heard anything, but il phone them soon and let u know how they get on

x

It's pretty poor that you were told this, and you definitely need to bring it up with them. When I've made appointments the receptionist has always made a point of telling me not to starve my bunnies. It's too late now to cry over split milk, so the best plan is to be calm, buy in their favourite foods and be prepared to kick up a stink over any complications.

Are they both boys? Boys always bounce back quicker from the op than girls, and mine have always started eating again on the same day. It takes them a few hours, and they never stuff themselves silly, but they have eaten enough to get their tummies going again. Monopoly wasn't eating properly until over 24 hours after the op but she was still absolutely fine. It's not good for bunnies to go without their food, but they can and do recover from it. So no panicking.

:shock: Gosh, My vet made me go home and get some food when Bea was done. They wouldn't let me take her home until they had seen her eat after her op.

AWWW

Thanks for all your replies

Im much calmer now, but wont feel relaxed until i have some news about them! They should've been neutered by now, so il ring up in a few mins to c how they got on.

Im gonna go pet shop and asda tonight and im gonna get them some veggies and some treats, ive run out of disinfectant so will have to get that aswell as the kitchen floor will need going over before they go in their run. Any one recommened a good one? it won't sting them or anything will it if i use disinfectant?? I will water it down so its not as strong!

Hopefully no news is good news. Hopefully my next post will be good news

Thanks again evryone

xxx

Hiya I always buy pet safe disinfectant from my local pet store, it's not cheap, but at least I know I can do the kitchen floor with no harm coming to the animals.

Also I would avoid the treats if I were you for a couple of days and stick to good supply of hay and water, just to make sure they don't have any runny poos, hope everything is ok.

Yeah

Ohhh im not giving them treats today, maybe tomo or sunday if they are back to their usual nutty-selves lol.

Ive got some of that timothy hay, which they love so il give them that and a few veggies!!

xx

Herbs can be good for tempting them to eat. Just something simple like parsley or basil. I think it must be the smell.

Update

hi all

I spoke to the vets 2 hours ago and she said both bunnies are fine, little Leo is still a bit sleepy but ok, and Fudge was sitting up.

They both had food before the Op so i will mention that someone told me not to give them any food for 12hours before the operation!!! (Apparently fudge pushed the bowl out of the door and all the food went on the floor, lol, that definatly sounds like fudge!!)

I just cant wait to pick them up!!! Got to wait for my bf to finish work, so will pick them up between 6 and 7.

xx

Back