• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
Please, please do not be complacent about the risk Foxes pose to Rabbits. Don’t assume that just because you never see a Fox that Foxes are not about, even in very built up urban areas.

On other Social Media platforms over the last week there have been posts about people losing much loved Rabbits to Foxes. Sadly some of these Rabbits were allowed to free roam unsupervised in the garden, but some were taken from what the care giver thought was secure accommodation.

Having lost a HOUSE RABBIT to a Fox who came into my house several years ago I know from horrific first hand experience that Foxes have no fear, especially urban Foxes who have been tamed by people leaving food out for them.

The first time you see a Fox in your garden may be the last time you see your Rabbits :cry:

ETA and this morning someone has posted a video cam recording of what a Fox does in a garden with Rabbits in :cry::cry: The person’s garden, their Rabbits too :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Oh god that's horrific.

My two are under the bed, I don't even open the window too much. If I open the back door I shut the bedroom door.

Yes I agree, you need to take every precaution. I have lived up here for over 7 years now, I've heard people say there are no foxes in this area. That is rubbish, just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean they are not there, and I have seen one in daylight. My girlie lived indoors, if window was open it was just a tiny bit and locked.

I've never seen a fox in our immediate area but they are around: we've seen a beautiful one, across the canal, over the Boots site, and crossing our road half a mile away. We also get buzzards. The local wildies aren't massively fussed by them, they keep an eye on them but don't use any unnecessary energy/worry, but there's more of them and they're a lot more aloof about their fellows. But domestic rabbits don't always have as much instinct to follow, fewer hideyholes (bushes, holes, fallen trees, undergrowth etc.) to run into, and a fox can be up a 6' fence and over in a moment, they wouldn't see it coming and nor would a human. Ditto raptors or owls off the side of a building. You just can't take the risk. And that's before you consider cats :S

How awful that you had a fox come inside for a rabbit.:cry:

Ronan, Jack’s Brother :cry: Jack witnessed the attack and it was his screams that alerted me to what was happening :cry: It is something I will never be able to forget :cry:

Ronan

3iGx4Tst.jpg

:cry:

Back