• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost my baby to shock

ng1234

New Kit
Hi

I’m posting on here as I’m not sure where else to turn. My beautiful boy Ralph died two days ago from shock after a fox had hold of him. He is a house rabbit and only goes in the garden for some exercise and after 12 years of living here we have never seen a fox. We looked out on Tuesday morning and a fox had hold of him, we ran him in to the house put him in his blanket and he was completely limp not moving or breathing from what we could see he did one jerk movement then was completely still I rushed him to the vet as quick as I could go but it was too late for him. I have never felt pain like this and I don’t know what to do, my mind keeps going over if I could’ve done anything more to save him he was my absolute world and I am devastated. He had just celebrated his 5th birthday in March he had birthday cake and presents and balloons and I’m so glad he made it to that but I can’t help think he had so much more life in him.

Can someone tell me how they coped after they lost their baby?

I am terribly sorry to read that you have lost your precious bunny, Ralph. It is incredibly hard to take everything on board for you right now as you are in shock from the events. Ralph was clearly very much loved and was a part of your life as you were, his. This is in some way why you feel such a deep sense of loss and pain. Most if not all of us here have lost bunnies, some through tragic instances and others through other causes but we all feel the same pain, loss and grief. And whilst all I can do is offer my sympathies, I hope perhaps to in some way, help to at least help you to not feel as isolated.
You are going through grief in your own way, and it will take as long as it needs to. I suspect you also feel a sense of anger at the fox for intruding and unfortunately there is a rise in urban fox population.
The incident is not one you would have anticipated so please try not to feel overwhelming guilt for that. Guilt is the darkest of our emotions but it is absolutely fine for you to question things in your mind.
We all take different times to come to terms with our losses.
If I may speak personally and candidly- I lost one of my dear bunnies at the start of January. And for me it was hugely upsetting - she was an integral part of our family and she passed suddenly in my arms. I still grieve for her, I still recall that day and as much as I have ‘moved on’, I still mourn the loss and for me personally, I never find myself fully moving on. They take a piece of our heart with them when we lose them - it is the price we pay as carers for our loved pets. We do what we can to give them the life they deserve and this is why you feel the loss you do.
On time, when you are ready, things will feel a little easier. But you will always feel the loss but it’s important to allow yourself to do that. If you want to cry, it’s absolutely fine to do so.
We are here on the forum to help you and if you feel you can talk to us on the forum, please do.
Sending you huge hugs - I know how you feel.
Binkey free beautiful Ralph. Xx

So sorry for your loss :cry:

Unfortunately it's never easy loosing a much love pet, and can be very hard to come to terms with. Great advise from Craig.

Sending hugs xx

I am so sorry to read about your sad loss of Ralph :cry:

Witnessing a fox attack is truly horrific and I can imagine how you are feeling. We live in a rural area, have only three times seen a fox during daylight in the garden in 15 years. The first was when it snatched one of our three hens at the time. It ran round and round the garden with the hen flapping her wings, trying to get away, with me chasing after it. It finally dropped her, although she was severely traumatised and needed suturing at the vets, but she survived. The second a couple of hours later, when we were standing a couple of feet away from the hens, the fox returned and went to attack them in front of us. It failed and we chased it off. The third time, a fox snatched a different hen, but she got away. However, she was horribly bitten and didn't survive :cry: We do not allow the hens in the garden now unless one of us is very close to them, although no fox has been seen since. Additionally, foxes have kits this time of the year and so will be desperate for food.

I'm afraid that foxes are likely to be everywhere they are able to have access to. We, like you, considered our garden low risk from fox predation as we just don't see foxes. Unfortunately that is often not the case.

Sending you lots of hugs. Losing a much loved rabbit is always heart-breaking. You will also have the horror of the attack. The only thought which has helped me in the past is to try to concentrate on the joy that the rabbit had brought to my life, together with incidents which have made me smile.

I am so very sorry. I too have lost a House Rabbit to a Fox that actually came into my house via an open window. It was many years ago, but I am still haunted by the event.

RIP Ralph :cry:

I'm so very sorry to hear this, what an awful shock for you. Yes the pain of losing a beloved pet is like no other, whatever the circumstances, as so many of us will sadly know. R.I.P. little bunny xx

So very sorry that you lost your little one.

Losing a pet is horrible at any time but when it happens unexpectedly the grief can seem overwhelming.

Sending heartfelt thoughts to you xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t describe how much your beautiful messages mean to me I just keep reading them over and over and have found comfort knowing I am not alone. Thank you so much xx

You are never alone. You are brave and courageous reaching out to people who share the same passion as you. It takes huge inner strength to post as you have, and hopefully you can at least gain some small comfort from a collective who know only too well how you and your world fields. Whilst right now, you may think it’s just an empty space that you feel, I can assure you it is not. What you feel is the pain of love and care, not of guilt. Your tears will slowly dry and you need to reinforce your memories of Ralph because he is a part of your life.
We are all here to support those on the forum that ask for and need our support and advice.
Craig xx

I'm so sorry.:cry:. A fox ripped off an ear of one of my rabbits while she was in her hutch, fortunately she survived but needed two operations and after that I brought the rabbits inside.

It must have been a terrible shock for you. Very sorry you lost Ralph. X

I am so very sorry. Poor Ralph.
Unfortunately I can't offer any advice regarding the pain of losing a bun. I wish i could.
xxxx

I'm so sorry you have suffered such a sudden and traumatic loss. I didn't lose first rabbit in such distressing circumstances, but any loss is sad and I did find it a comfort to focus on the many happy memories I have. Grief is different for everyone but I like to think that while Spenser took a piece of my heart with him the joy he brought me has left a lasting legacy.

Take care and thank you for sharing. xx

So sorry for your loss in such upsetting circumstances. I lost a bunny once due to a terrible accident and I was guilt stricken for days.

In time I have learnt to accept it was not my fault but I kept going over and over the events trying to work out if I could have done more.

This is not your fault. It was just 'one of those things' but the pain of losing one of our bunnies is truly heart wrenching.

Only time is the real healer. I guess the advice I have is only this..remember your bunny for all the beautiful moments you shared and try not to beat yourself up. And let yourself be sad and cry and grieve.

So sorry for your loss once again [emoji175]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Back