Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Protexin (Mousey's poops)

Wise Old Thumper

I can understand the problem. It does seem that some senior bunnies have an issue with keeping weight on.

I think that maybe I would do some research into the ingredients of other rabbit pellets, as if it's just one ingredient specific to the one she has, you might find that she could tolerate another pellet. Problem is that it might mean experimenting with several different ones and it would become expensive, although I guess if she rejected them, Boo and Joey would step in.

I would consider different options, maybe one based on hay with foragey stuff in it. Another option would be to try a junior pellet, which would have a higher calorific value, so she maybe wouldn't need to eat many.

That's so good that Mousey's poops are much better now. I'm glad you've seen improvement with her new diet. The weight loss is a problem, of course, though yeah. It'd be too bad if you'd have to give up on her better poops because she can't keep her weight on like this. Can she eat something like alfalfa hay or readigrass, that's higher in calories? I think clover is high in calories, too, but there's some concern that it might cause gas, I believe... And all those things are higher in calcium, I think, and I don't know if that's a problem for Mouse? I know some people feed sunflower seeds for weight gain, but nobody seems to agree about whether rabbits should eat seeds or not, so I'm not sure if I'd recommend that. If she's allergic for something in her pellets, then like Omi said, trying other pellets could be worth it. Maybe look for pellets that have the least amount of ingredients, without any unnecessary additives?
    (Pronouns: he or they)

Thanks Omi & Reader of books for your thoughts. I know I do probably need to re-introduce nuggets but I don't want to. I wanna keep her pooping like this, well better. I didn't know about clover ...she hasn't been a gassy bunny to date - she only stopped eating once when I was at work - Bob gave her metacam & syringed some water & she was fine 90 mins later - that was a few years ago though. I will try her on more of that (its just coming out here) . Might up the taunton deane kale. Rabbits are not designed to function on high calories are they- I think thats the crux of the problem. when I used to talk about this stuff with my vet she was always of the opinion that foods to fatten them up tended to make them feel full & less likely to get their essential fibre.

That makes sense that foods high in calories make them feel full and less likely to eat the foods high in fibre that they need... I guess you'd have to look for foods that are high in calories AND fibre? It's understandable that you'd rather not put her back on pellets now that her poops are a lot better.

Another dagger in the back of uniform nutrient values : the 'postcode lottery' of soil quality https://t.co/9qw4bymeOt?amp=1

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Thanks Omi & Reader of books for your thoughts. I know I do probably need to re-introduce nuggets but I don't want to. I wanna keep her pooping like this, well better. I didn't know about clover ...she hasn't been a gassy bunny to date - she only stopped eating once when I was at work - Bob gave her metacam & syringed some water & she was fine 90 mins later - that was a few years ago though. I will try her on more of that (its just coming out here) . Might up the taunton deane kale. Rabbits are not designed to function on high calories are they- I think thats the crux of the problem. when I used to talk about this stuff with my vet she was always of the opinion that foods to fatten them up tended to make them feel full & less likely to get their essential fibre.
    Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    That makes sense that foods high in calories make them feel full and less likely to eat the foods high in fibre that they need... I guess you'd have to look for foods that are high in calories AND fibre? It's understandable that you'd rather not put her back on pellets now that her poops are a lot better.
    Yes, it does make sense. And high fibre, high calorie foods are not my (human) lists' priority But peas are one of them (per 100g): mature peas (yellow, blue, split yellow or green): 250kcal/45g fibre; marrowfat peas: 280/28; carlin peas: 280/22; chickpeas: 164/7.6; green peas (e.g. frozen): 81/5. There's beans too but the highest, pinto beans, fall between carlin peas and chickpeas.
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

a little update: Mousey has been nugget free for almost 2 months, no weight gain but no loss either. Her poops are marginally better. She seems a bit happier / brighter though & acc to recent review her teeth are better. When Joey was poorly recently he was given protexin profibre paste so I tried some on Mouse & it really upset her tum. We had a similar effect when I persuaded her to eat fiba first sticks. She obviously has a really sensitive digestive system now but pleased we've a simple way of managing it on grass & forage, dried & fresh though mainly fresh. She does still have 2 joint support tabs over the day & seems to manage these finre. Brave girlie

That's great news, well done lovely Mousie xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

Excellent news Mousey. I think we should also recognise that Mousey knows best and that as for most bunnies a simple diet is undoubtably the much better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Excellent news Mousey. I think we should also recognise that Mousey knows best and that as for most bunnies a simple diet is undoubtably the much better option.
    Yea I've been thinking this lately, I know I've got two rexes with sensitive guts so maybe my view is skewed somewhat, but I think bunny diets need to be a lot more simple. Even Apricot has a pretty simple diet, basically just loads of hay and she has some dill daily because she'd murder me if I didn't.. And some forage, nothing too complicated though, I used to feed a lot more stuff but I'm thinking simpler is better tbh. Do give her veggie scraps too daily when Evelyn has veggies, but nowhere near the sheer amount I used to buy just for the buns!

That's good news. Good job, Mousey.