Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protexin (Mousey's poops)

Default Protexin (Mousey's poops)

For ages Mouse has done plentiful poo but its too small. She eats a little hay, unlimited fresh forage (lots) including grass, some dried forage & SS nuggets. Her vet wants her on more nuggets but she isn't that keen. I was wondering about giving her Protexin Pro Fibre daily. But I don't really like the ingredients

Wheat feed, Alfalfa meal, Sugar beet, Psyllium husk, Wheat bran, Lignocellulose, Linseed, Preplex prebiotic (Fructo-oligosaccharide)

She has a delicate stomach now she is old & frail

She also doesn't drink. She wee's fine & it looks healthy for rabbit wee so assume the forage is providing some hydration

Any ideas on how to get more fibre in to her & any views on protexin?

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    For ages Mouse has done plentiful poo but its too small. She eats a little hay, unlimited fresh forage (lots) including grass, some dried forage & SS nuggets. Her vet wants her on more nuggets but she isn't that keen. I was wondering about giving her Protexin Pro Fibre daily. But I don't really like the ingredients

Wheat feed, Alfalfa meal, Sugar beet, Psyllium husk, Wheat bran, Lignocellulose, Linseed, Preplex prebiotic (Fructo-oligosaccharide)

She has a delicate stomach now she is old & frail

She also doesn't drink. She wee's fine & it looks healthy for rabbit wee so assume the forage is providing some hydration

Any ideas on how to get more fibre in to her & any views on protexin?
    We used those pellets for months with Atticus, just fine. I'm trying some different ones now I forget the name of them I'll get the bag later.

Would she eat fibre first maybe? It's so tricky isn't it!

Does she not drink at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    We used those pellets for months with Atticus, just fine. I'm trying some different ones now I forget the name of them I'll get the bag later.

Would she eat fibre first maybe? It's so tricky isn't it!

Does she not drink at all?
    ohhh, yes please - let me know the name so I can look in to them. Do they work as well as the protexin for him?

Funnily enough I bought 8 fibre first sticks from Etsy last night I know that will seem ridiculous but I wanted to check if she'll eat them these days. Their history with fibre first has been varied. At one point I had to ban them but the food aggression was shocking. Next box I think only Joey kind of liked & they ended up getting binned. Trying to avoid that

Eta. No I don't think she drinks anything of significance. I've seen her at the water bowl once in the past week & it never goes down
    Last edited by joey&boo; 26-04-2021 at 12:59 PM.

ohhh, yes please - let me know the name so I can look in to them. Do they work as well as the protexin for him?

Funnily enough I bought 8 fibre first sticks from Etsy last night I know that will seem ridiculous but I wanted to check if she'll eat them these days. Their history with fibre first has been varied. At one point I had to ban them but the food aggression was shocking. Next box I think only Joey kind of liked & they ended up getting binned. Trying to avoid that

Eta. No I don't think she drinks anything of significance. I've seen her at the water bowl once in the past week & it never goes down
    I didn't know people did that!

Yea so Idk tbh, it's been a bit stop start with them because he's been a bit unwell (nothing to do with the pellets, I just have to go by him what he's fed til somethings on his standard diet, also introducing pellets to him is an extremely slow process, I'm talking one pellet a day for a week, then 2..)

I'll get the bag in a bit and let you know and if you wanna try some, I can send you some for Mousey to taste test, she what she thinks

Is it Regu-tum?

Is it Regu-tum?
    Yes!

https://www.viovet.co.uk/ReguTum-Pro...abbits/c75357/

Sorry I just couldn't remember off hand

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Yes!

https://www.viovet.co.uk/ReguTum-Pro...abbits/c75357/

Sorry I just couldn't remember off hand
    I only guessed cos viovet kept trying to offer me it as an alternative - quite a bit lower in fibre though. Thanks for the offer of sending some but I reckon I'll go for Protexin ..unless anyone advises against . Thing I hate about protexin is the hard plastic tub

Pro Fibre ingredients are all good, high-fibre ingredients, just not necessarily 'OK' for normal bunnies. But if you're trying to add even more fibre, is the bunny normal? (Are any bunnies normal ). But yeah, in Mouse's case, I wouldn't want to add stuff in that was just going to upset her, and if she's been used to non-wheat feed it might be a bit much: my digestive tract gets very sore if I eat a lot of flour-based products these days and I'm by no means old! XD

I'd want to start with FibaFirst TBH, great track record, then maybe alfalfa? Charlie had diarrhoea (not true, just runny poo) on alfalfa in his older age though :S Looking at The Rabbit House food comparison chart, the only higher fibre than FibaFirst are Supreme VetCarePlus Weight Management and Digestive Health Formula, both of which have been discontinued
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

I used Pro Fibre for Bigwig when she wasn't eating hay due to her poor breathing, the exotic vet gave it the ok and it did seem to make her poops bigger/more normal looking. Hope you find something that works

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    Pro Fibre ingredients are all good, high-fibre ingredients, just not necessarily 'OK' for normal bunnies. But if you're trying to add even more fibre, is the bunny normal? (Are any bunnies normal ). But yeah, in Mouse's case, I wouldn't want to add stuff in that was just going to upset her, and if she's been used to non-wheat feed it might be a bit much: my digestive tract gets very sore if I eat a lot of flour-based products these days and I'm by no means old! XD

I'd want to start with FibaFirst TBH, great track record, then maybe alfalfa? Charlie had diarrhoea (not true, just runny poo) on alfalfa in his older age though :S Looking at The Rabbit House food comparison chart, the only higher fibre than FibaFirst are Supreme VetCarePlus Weight Management and Digestive Health Formula, both of which have been discontinued
    Yeah thats typical they are discontinued. I wonder what forage is highest in fibre - bet its plantain since thats the hardest for me to get from clean sources.

I really hope she'll eat the fibre first. If not I'll probably try protexin but introduce v v slowly (I had a tiny few left over from Rudey which she has had with no signs of upset.

Caring for old bunnies (I mean mouse old not Joey old) is stressful