• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protexin (Mousey's poops)

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
For ages Mouse has done plentiful poo but its too small. She eats a little hay, unlimited fresh forage (lots) including grass, some dried forage & SS nuggets. Her vet wants her on more nuggets but she isn't that keen. I was wondering about giving her Protexin Pro Fibre daily. But I don't really like the ingredients

Wheat feed, Alfalfa meal, Sugar beet, Psyllium husk, Wheat bran, Lignocellulose, Linseed, Preplex prebiotic (Fructo-oligosaccharide)

She has a delicate stomach now she is old & frail

She also doesn't drink. She wee's fine & it looks healthy for rabbit wee so assume the forage is providing some hydration

Any ideas on how to get more fibre in to her & any views on protexin?

For ages Mouse has done plentiful poo but its too small. She eats a little hay, unlimited fresh forage (lots) including grass, some dried forage & SS nuggets. Her vet wants her on more nuggets but she isn't that keen. I was wondering about giving her Protexin Pro Fibre daily. But I don't really like the ingredients

Wheat feed, Alfalfa meal, Sugar beet, Psyllium husk, Wheat bran, Lignocellulose, Linseed, Preplex prebiotic (Fructo-oligosaccharide)

She has a delicate stomach now she is old & frail

She also doesn't drink. She wee's fine & it looks healthy for rabbit wee so assume the forage is providing some hydration

Any ideas on how to get more fibre in to her & any views on protexin?

We used those pellets for months with Atticus, just fine. I'm trying some different ones now I forget the name of them I'll get the bag later.

Would she eat fibre first maybe? It's so tricky isn't it!

Does she not drink at all?

We used those pellets for months with Atticus, just fine. I'm trying some different ones now I forget the name of them I'll get the bag later.

Would she eat fibre first maybe? It's so tricky isn't it!

Does she not drink at all?

ohhh, yes please - let me know the name so I can look in to them. Do they work as well as the protexin for him?

Funnily enough I bought 8 fibre first sticks from Etsy last night :lol: I know that will seem ridiculous but I wanted to check if she'll eat them these days. Their history with fibre first has been varied. At one point I had to ban them but the food aggression was shocking. Next box I think only Joey kind of liked & they ended up getting binned. Trying to avoid that

Eta. No I don't think she drinks anything of significance. I've seen her at the water bowl once in the past week & it never goes down

Last edited:
ohhh, yes please - let me know the name so I can look in to them. Do they work as well as the protexin for him?

Funnily enough I bought 8 fibre first sticks from Etsy last night [emoji38] I know that will seem ridiculous but I wanted to check if she'll eat them these days. Their history with fibre first has been varied. At one point I had to ban them but the food aggression was shocking. Next box I think only Joey kind of liked & they ended up getting binned. Trying to avoid that

Eta. No I don't think she drinks anything of significance. I've seen her at the water bowl once in the past week & it never goes down
[emoji38][emoji38] I didn't know people did that!

Yea so Idk tbh, it's been a bit stop start with them because he's been a bit unwell (nothing to do with the pellets, I just have to go by him what he's fed til somethings on his standard diet, also introducing pellets to him is an extremely slow process, I'm talking one pellet a day for a week, then 2..[emoji38])

I'll get the bag in a bit and let you know and if you wanna try some, I can send you some for Mousey to taste test, she what she thinks

Pro Fibre ingredients are all good, high-fibre ingredients, just not necessarily 'OK' for normal bunnies. But if you're trying to add even more fibre, is the bunny normal? (Are any bunnies normal :lol:). But yeah, in Mouse's case, I wouldn't want to add stuff in that was just going to upset her, and if she's been used to non-wheat feed it might be a bit much: my digestive tract gets very sore if I eat a lot of flour-based products these days and I'm by no means old! XD

I'd want to start with FibaFirst TBH, great track record, then maybe alfalfa? Charlie had diarrhoea (not true, just runny poo) on alfalfa in his older age though :S Looking at The Rabbit House food comparison chart, the only higher fibre than FibaFirst are Supreme VetCarePlus Weight Management and Digestive Health Formula, both of which have been discontinued :roll:

I used Pro Fibre for Bigwig when she wasn't eating hay due to her poor breathing, the exotic vet gave it the ok and it did seem to make her poops bigger/more normal looking. Hope you find something that works

Pro Fibre ingredients are all good, high-fibre ingredients, just not necessarily 'OK' for normal bunnies. But if you're trying to add even more fibre, is the bunny normal? (Are any bunnies normal :lol:). But yeah, in Mouse's case, I wouldn't want to add stuff in that was just going to upset her, and if she's been used to non-wheat feed it might be a bit much: my digestive tract gets very sore if I eat a lot of flour-based products these days and I'm by no means old! XD

I'd want to start with FibaFirst TBH, great track record, then maybe alfalfa? Charlie had diarrhoea (not true, just runny poo) on alfalfa in his older age though :S Looking at The Rabbit House food comparison chart, the only higher fibre than FibaFirst are Supreme VetCarePlus Weight Management and Digestive Health Formula, both of which have been discontinued :roll:

Yeah thats typical they are discontinued. I wonder what forage is highest in fibre - bet its plantain since thats the hardest for me to get from clean sources.

I really hope she'll eat the fibre first. If not I'll probably try protexin but introduce v v slowly (I had a tiny few left over from Rudey which she has had with no signs of upset.

Caring for old bunnies (I mean mouse old not Joey old) is stressful

I used Pro Fibre for Bigwig when she wasn't eating hay due to her poor breathing, the exotic vet gave it the ok and it did seem to make her poops bigger/more normal looking. Hope you find something that works

That's encouraging - thanks Liz

I'd be wary tbh and would definitely try FibaFirst. I'd also want to do a trial of Bramble leaves I think and you should be able to get them clean by picking higher up off the ground. Greater Plantain always looks full of fibre. The Vetcare Plus sticks were in my view almost identical to FibaFirst.

I used to give Treacle pro fibre as she wasn't a big hay eater, she loved it. I get what you mean about the tubs though, I used the first few for storing stuff in, but ended up having to throw the others

I'd be wary tbh and would definitely try FibaFirst. I'd also want to do a trial of Bramble leaves I think and you should be able to get them clean by picking higher up off the ground. Greater Plantain always looks full of fibre. The Vetcare Plus sticks were in my view almost identical to FibaFirst.

I do get her brambles daily & feed first as they are not her fave, she'll only eat so many though. Thanks for your thoughts Omi. It would be nice to address this "naturally".

I'm convinced she won't eat the fibrafirst but she may surprise me.

I used to give Treacle pro fibre as she wasn't a big hay eater, she loved it. I get what you mean about the tubs though, I used the first few for storing stuff in, but ended up having to throw the others

Thanks PM, I remember now you used them on Treacle bun:love: She had a bit of a sensitive tum if I remember correctly?

Plan. Try & get more plantain, feed more brambles, try fibra first & if no improvement after several days I'll bring out the big plastic gun

Has she ever tried compressed pure hay pellets? Dennis didn’t drink a lot either but used to pee. The forage must be adequate

Has she ever tried compressed pure hay pellets? Dennis didn’t drink a lot either but used to pee. The forage must be adequate

No - I tried her on the haybox foragey ones. She wasn't too impressed in the end. I wonder if dried forage would have different effect as J&B poo better on dried forage & hay than fresh

I'm just back from foraging & now she has her own bag so I can up her ratio of plantain, brambles & grass. This is actually a much better system as I don't dry grass & cow parsley but do pick them to feed fresh

I only guessed cos viovet kept trying to offer me it as an alternative - quite a bit lower in fibre though. Thanks for the offer of sending some but I reckon I'll go for Protexin ..unless anyone advises against . Thing I hate about protexin is the hard plastic tub

Yeaa, Atticus eats so so so much hay it's mad, so I'm not too worried about fibre tbh for him.

Yea it's a really thick walled plastic tub, it's got an annoying lid too, which you have to make sure is really shut [emoji38] I have loads of them in my greenhouse [emoji38][emoji38] you can drill drainage holes in the bottom, or store stuff like plant labels in them [emoji38][emoji38] sharpie writes on them nicely too [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Back