• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protexin (Mousey's poops)

I can understand the problem. It does seem that some senior bunnies have an issue with keeping weight on.

I think that maybe I would do some research into the ingredients of other rabbit pellets, as if it's just one ingredient specific to the one she has, you might find that she could tolerate another pellet. Problem is that it might mean experimenting with several different ones and it would become expensive, although I guess if she rejected them, Boo and Joey would step in.

I would consider different options, maybe one based on hay with foragey stuff in it. Another option would be to try a junior pellet, which would have a higher calorific value, so she maybe wouldn't need to eat many.

That's so good that Mousey's poops are much better now. I'm glad you've seen improvement with her new diet. The weight loss is a problem, of course, though yeah. It'd be too bad if you'd have to give up on her better poops because she can't keep her weight on like this. Can she eat something like alfalfa hay or readigrass, that's higher in calories? I think clover is high in calories, too, but there's some concern that it might cause gas, I believe... And all those things are higher in calcium, I think, and I don't know if that's a problem for Mouse? I know some people feed sunflower seeds for weight gain, but nobody seems to agree about whether rabbits should eat seeds or not, so I'm not sure if I'd recommend that. If she's allergic for something in her pellets, then like Omi said, trying other pellets could be worth it. Maybe look for pellets that have the least amount of ingredients, without any unnecessary additives?

Thanks Omi & Reader of books for your thoughts. I know I do probably need to re-introduce nuggets but I don't want to. I wanna keep her pooping like this, well better. I didn't know about clover ...she hasn't been a gassy bunny to date - she only stopped eating once when I was at work - Bob gave her metacam & syringed some water & she was fine 90 mins later - that was a few years ago though. I will try her on more of that (its just coming out here) . Might up the taunton deane kale. Rabbits are not designed to function on high calories are they- I think thats the crux of the problem. when I used to talk about this stuff with my vet she was always of the opinion that foods to fatten them up tended to make them feel full & less likely to get their essential fibre.

That makes sense that foods high in calories make them feel full and less likely to eat the foods high in fibre that they need... I guess you'd have to look for foods that are high in calories AND fibre? It's understandable that you'd rather not put her back on pellets now that her poops are a lot better.

Another dagger in the back of uniform nutrient values :lol:: the 'postcode lottery' of soil quality https://t.co/9qw4bymeOt?amp=1

Thanks Omi & Reader of books for your thoughts. I know I do probably need to re-introduce nuggets but I don't want to. I wanna keep her pooping like this, well better. I didn't know about clover ...she hasn't been a gassy bunny to date - she only stopped eating once when I was at work - Bob gave her metacam & syringed some water & she was fine 90 mins later - that was a few years ago though. I will try her on more of that (its just coming out here) . Might up the taunton deane kale. Rabbits are not designed to function on high calories are they- I think thats the crux of the problem. when I used to talk about this stuff with my vet she was always of the opinion that foods to fatten them up tended to make them feel full & less likely to get their essential fibre.

That makes sense that foods high in calories make them feel full and less likely to eat the foods high in fibre that they need... I guess you'd have to look for foods that are high in calories AND fibre? It's understandable that you'd rather not put her back on pellets now that her poops are a lot better.
Yes, it does make sense. And high fibre, high calorie foods are not my (human) lists' priority :lol: But peas are one of them (per 100g): mature peas (yellow, blue, split yellow or green): 250kcal/45g fibre; marrowfat peas: 280/28; carlin peas: 280/22; chickpeas: 164/7.6; green peas (e.g. frozen): 81/5. There's beans too but the highest, pinto beans, fall between carlin peas and chickpeas.

a little update: Mousey has been nugget free for almost 2 months, no weight gain but no loss either. Her poops are marginally better. She seems a bit happier / brighter though & acc to recent review her teeth are better. When Joey was poorly recently he was given protexin profibre paste so I tried some on Mouse & it really upset her tum. We had a similar effect when I persuaded her to eat fiba first sticks. She obviously has a really sensitive digestive system now but pleased we've a simple way of managing it on grass & forage, dried & fresh though mainly fresh. She does still have 2 joint support tabs over the day & seems to manage these finre. Brave girlie :love:

Excellent news Mousey. I think we should also recognise that Mousey knows best and that as for most bunnies a simple diet is undoubtably the much better option.

Excellent news Mousey. I think we should also recognise that Mousey knows best and that as for most bunnies a simple diet is undoubtably the much better option.
Yea I've been thinking this lately, I know I've got two rexes with sensitive guts so maybe my view is skewed somewhat, but I think bunny diets need to be a lot more simple. Even Apricot has a pretty simple diet, basically just loads of hay and she has some dill daily because she'd murder me if I didn't.. And some forage, nothing too complicated though, I used to feed a lot more stuff but I'm thinking simpler is better tbh. Do give her veggie scraps too daily when Evelyn has veggies, but nowhere near the sheer amount I used to buy just for the buns!

Yea I've been thinking this lately, I know I've got two rexes with sensitive guts so maybe my view is skewed somewhat, but I think bunny diets need to be a lot more simple. Even Apricot has a pretty simple diet, basically just loads of hay and she has some dill daily because she'd murder me if I didn't.. And some forage, nothing too complicated though, I used to feed a lot more stuff but I'm thinking simpler is better tbh. Do give her veggie scraps too daily when Evelyn has veggies, but nowhere near the sheer amount I used to buy just for the buns!
I also agree, we've never really bought anything for ours (just offcuts, peels etc.) and apart from Buttons' incident, we've never had an issue with forage and hay. And pellets for those obsessed (everybun now except Chibbs!).

Mousey poop (& diet) update. She has been on the hay of her dreams (I tried so many types over the past 2 years I'd lost faith it existed) for about a week. She still loves her forage too. Past few days (following recent weight loss she can't afford to lose) we've tried her on SS grain free nuggets & hasn't had a poopy bum. So far she has only gained 100g but its less than a week in so early days. Her cecos look good & she is insistent every speck is hand fed back to her :lol: Her regular poos are better & are speckled with hay glints.

Its so much less stressful having her eat like a normal pet bun, if not like a wildie. Reassuring too as come winter i just can't get much fresh forage

Movement wise she can hop using both her legs (it looks terrible) but the withered one does drag under her sometimes when she is resting or in the litter tray - this means it gets soaked in wee. Managed to avoid urine scold so far but worried about the risk. So many foot baths were not ideal for her matt inclined fur either. Anyway Bob ordered some vet wrap type stuff in various sizes (colours & patterns:lol:). For the past few days we've been carefully putting one on her foot (heel & toes exposed) & round her little chicken leg. This is working fab so far - really pleased

Mousey poop (& diet) update. She has been on the hay of her dreams (I tried so many types over the past 2 years I'd lost faith it existed) for about a week. She still loves her forage too. Past few days (following recent weight loss she can't afford to lose) we've tried her on SS grain free nuggets & hasn't had a poopy bum. So far she has only gained 100g but its less than a week in so early days. Her cecos look good & she is insistent every speck is hand fed back to her :lol: Her regular poos are better & are speckled with hay glints.

Its so much less stressful having her eat like a normal pet bun, if not like a wildie. Reassuring too as come winter i just can't get much fresh forage

Movement wise she can hop using both her legs (it looks terrible) but the withered one does drag under her sometimes when she is resting or in the litter tray - this means it gets soaked in wee. Managed to avoid urine scold so far but worried about the risk. So many foot baths were not ideal for her matt inclined fur either. Anyway Bob ordered some vet wrap type stuff in various sizes (colours & patterns:lol:). For the past few days we've been carefully putting one on her foot (heel & toes exposed) & round her little chicken leg. This is working fab so far - really pleased

Oh bless her, she is such a little trooper isn't she ? I love that she wants hand feeding :) you deserve whatever you want Mousie. Well done Bob, and so pleased it's helping her. She is an amazing bun, and really couldn't wish for better care xx

That sounds like a positive update. :) I'm so glad she has the hay of her dreams and is doing well on the grain free nuggets and has gained a bit of weight back, and that you won't have to worry about not having enough to feed her in winter. What a great service, too, having her cecos hand-fed to her. :lol: That's wonderful that the vet wrap around her foot and leg is keeping her clean and dry, too. That's a great idea. :) Considering her health issues, it sounds like sweet Mousey is doing really well and has the most comfortable bunny life. :love:

Back