• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protexin (Mousey's poops)

She enjoyed half a stick & refusing to eat any more. Bad Mousey (she can't have it both ways:lol:)

Next up, lightly steam in fenugreek water? rub them with basil & coriander?

Boobly's butler service was lacking the other night. I'd forgotten they were on the dregs of the nuggets til I tipped them out for an expectant Boo. She might be blind but she jumps over them & truffles around by way of counting & she gets really unhappy if portions are below par. I flew downstairs & put together as nice a selection of fridge bits as i could, shaking while I was chopping them. Its like being in a DV relationship with my rabbits - they're all perps

She enjoyed half a stick & refusing to eat any more. Bad Mousey (she can't have it both ways:lol:)

Next up, lightly steam in fenugreek water? rub them with basil & coriander?

None of my rabbits have eaten Fibafirst in preference to anything else. But I've always been successful offering one to a rabbit when they are hungry. Tui is probably a bit more enthusiastic than the Rexes were, but she clearly prefers SS as she eats those first. She gets about half and half mixed at the moment and I'm going to slowly increase the quantity of FF and decrease the SS, ultimately just giving FF. I've got a largish bag of SS though, so it won't be anytime soon :)

None of my rabbits have eaten Fibafirst in preference to anything else. But I've always been successful offering one to a rabbit when they are hungry. Tui is probably a bit more enthusiastic than the Rexes were, but she clearly prefers SS as she eats those first. She gets about half and half mixed at the moment and I'm going to slowly increase the quantity of FF and decrease the SS, ultimately just giving FF. I've got a largish bag of SS though, so it won't be anytime soon :)

I was wondering whether to switch J&B over but doubt I'll manage just cos Boo is so weird about her nugget routine. I didn't give Mouse much breafast so she was hungry when they arrived. She ate another stick that was steamed & seasoned :lol: I'm hanging fire on ordering a proper box to see if she shows more comitment

Thank You - I'll take you up on a plant or 2 if you're ever over this way to see Matts folks .
Awesome :) Do you want your moisturiser etc. pots back as well? Don't see any point in recycling them (and our recycling of metal is a bit hit&miss) if I can just pop them back! :lol:

Boobly's butler service was lacking the other night. I'd forgotten they were on the dregs of the nuggets til I tipped them out for an expectant Boo. She might be blind but she jumps over them & truffles around by way of counting & she gets really unhappy if portions are below par. I flew downstairs & put together as nice a selection of fridge bits as i could, shaking while I was chopping them. Its like being in a DV relationship with my rabbits - they're all perps
:lol: Yep, I can see this!

Awesome :) Do you want your moisturiser etc. pots back as well? Don't see any point in recycling them (and our recycling of metal is a bit hit&miss) if I can just pop them back! :lol:

:lol: Yep, I can see this!

I think yours were in random pots I don't use. People always want to give me their jars back :lol: I don't reuse anything for my business, its against the rules . If you can't re-use or recylcle I'll use them up on polish or for keeping seeds

I think yours were in random pots I don't use. People always want to give me their jars back :lol: I don't reuse anything for my business, its against the rules . If you can't re-use or recylcle I'll use them up on polish or for keeping seeds
Haha, no problem :D I was going to keep the littlest metal pots for lip salve/travel pots, but I reckon I can freecycle the glass ones and someone might want the bigger metal ones! :)

I've been trying to look in to fibre content of foragey foods - I'd say most values I can't find but there is something similar ...& everything seems far lower in fibre than I thought it would be. I don't think I've particularly been doing Mousey any favours feeding her so much forage - particularly young leaves. As grass is between 35-55% fibre I had a lightbulb moment - feed her LOADs more of it.

So we had a few more dietary changes, this is her diet now

Huge piles of grass (several varieties)
2 small bowls of fresh forage (mainly more fibrous choices but not exclusively)
2 scooby snacks (joint support tabs)
Hay (3 types with small handful of dried forage)
A coneflower or perennial kale leaf from the garden

I wouldn't usually consider putting an elderly thin rabbit on a nugget free diet. So far her poops are looking a bit better & we've not needed a bum bath. Yay. If she hasn't lost any weight after a week I'll keep her fed like this. Very annoyed with self though - how can I have underestimated grass so much

I've been trying to look in to fibre content of foragey foods - I'd say most values I can't find but there is something similar ...& everything seems far lower in fibre than I thought it would be. I don't think I've particularly been doing Mousey any favours feeding her so much forage - particularly young leaves. As grass is between 35-55% fibre I had a lightbulb moment - feed her LOADs more of it.

So we had a few more dietary changes, this is her diet now

Huge piles of grass (several varieties)
2 small bowls of fresh forage (mainly more fibrous choices but not exclusively)
2 scooby snacks (joint support tabs)
Hay (3 types with small handful of dried forage)
A coneflower or perennial kale leaf from the garden

I wouldn't usually consider putting an elderly thin rabbit on a nugget free diet. So far her poops are looking a bit better & we've not needed a bum bath. Yay. If she hasn't lost any weight after a week I'll keep her fed like this. Very annoyed with self though - how can I have underestimated grass so much

I've never found anything that documents clearly the fibre content of different wild plants. What have you found so far?

Grass is certainly very popular with Tui and it was with all past rabbits. She gets some each day. Is Mousey a fan? I can imagine it's very tasty atm as it's green and lush.

I've never found anything that documents clearly the fibre content of different wild plants. What have you found so far?

Grass is certainly very popular with Tui and it was with all past rabbits. She gets some each day. Is Mousey a fan? I can imagine it's very tasty atm as it's green and lush.

See I couldn't find anything specific to a lot of forage but worked on the assumption a dandelion would be the same as spinach, drew a few conclusions in my head. Nothing scientific or methodical as you'd expect from me. She does like grass but she likes forage more . She will eat a lot more grass than hay. Its nice to think her tushy pegs are getting more wear. Her last check up Ruth said her teeth were ok but they have looked a bit borderline at previous check ups (different vets, same practice). I still have to wash one leg regularly though, it folds under her & many a time she'll wee on it

I hope the diet adjustments continue to help Mousey. Bertie sends fluffy kisses to your lovely ladybun. xx

If domesticated farmed animals eat it (usually large grazing herbivores) then it's available, but no one's botherd to just do it for everything :lol: I recall at Twigs Way's forage day we were told grass was for free-feeding, treat it just like hay, which I think was a revelation to some (predominantly house rabbit?) owners :D I always try and forage grass weekdays (if I bothered foraging anyway :lol:).

See I couldn't find anything specific to a lot of forage but worked on the assumption a dandelion would be the same as spinach, drew a few conclusions in my head. Nothing scientific or methodical as you'd expect from me. She does like grass but she likes forage more . She will eat a lot more grass than hay. Its nice to think her tushy pegs are getting more wear. Her last check up Ruth said her teeth were ok but they have looked a bit borderline at previous check ups (different vets, same practice). I still have to wash one leg regularly though, it folds under her & many a time she'll wee on it
I don't think your method is too bad: leafy greens will have an approximately similar profile for fibre becasue they're the same consistency in cell walls. If, from the previous article we read, it's all about fibre in cell walls, you'll want 'tougher' plants, like plantain, but maybe not tough like older hogweed or burdock (burdock esp can cause blockages because it's SO fibrous, not necessarily fibre-ous): if you find burdock, rub it in your hands and it disintegrates into aball. Anything that disintegrates into pieces is OK :thumb:

On the subject of known leafy greens, the fibre content (g per 80g, a human serving) is as follows: spinach 1.76, white cabbage 2, savoy cabbage 2.48, spring greens 2.7, kale 2.88, so all aroung 2g. Calcium content though (mg per 80g), in case you need to watch that: savoy 28, white cabbage 32, spinach 79.2, kale 120, spring greens 168.

I'm in a bit of a quandary. It took almost a week to see much improvement, but Mouseys poops look so much better (not brilliant). This is very happy news ...however at her weigh in she had lost 150g & she really can't afford to lost weight. Her bum health is loads better on her nugget free diet but clearly she needs the calories. I do have a suspicion that she is intolerant to something in nuggets - her fur is in quite bad condition & matts really easily which I read was often an allergic response (I know it can be other stuff like kidney disease too) but does seem better this past week. I can't give her extra calories through fruit as that turns her in to poopintroll too, FHB says cereals & oats are a no-no. She doesn't like fibafirst & not keen on cold pressed nuggets from haybox either

I wouldn't know what to suggest to be honest, Treacle bun always had nuggets in her diet as she wasn't a great hay eater, and greens were a no no for her tummy. I hope someone else will be more helpful for Mousie :)

I wouldn't know what to suggest to be honest, Treacle bun always had nuggets in her diet as she wasn't a great hay eater, and greens were a no no for her tummy. I hope someone else will be more helpful for Mousie :)

Thanks Petsmum. I've probably worked through all suggestions by now anyway :lol: I'm going to keep things as they are but weigh twice a week, any more weight loss & I'll have to chat to her vet (although I've been in these shoes with Rudey & don't think she'd have much to add either)

I'm in a bit of a quandary. It took almost a week to see much improvement, but Mouseys poops look so much better (not brilliant). This is very happy news ...however at her weigh in she had lost 150g & she really can't afford to lost weight. Her bum health is loads better on her nugget free diet but clearly she needs the calories. I do have a suspicion that she is intolerant to something in nuggets - her fur is in quite bad condition & matts really easily which I read was often an allergic response (I know it can be other stuff like kidney disease too) but does seem better this past week. I can't give her extra calories through fruit as that turns her in to poopintroll too, FHB says cereals & oats are a no-no. She doesn't like fibafirst & not keen on cold pressed nuggets from haybox either
Why are oats a no no? I mean I'd never really suggest them, I don't know much about it other than breeders often feed them to pregnant does.. So I'm guessing they're not the best.. But I'm just wondering in Mouseys case whether they'd help her gain some weight? Idk, Atticus is underweight and I'm struggling with him atm.

Hopefully someone else can suggest something for beautiful Mousey x

Back