• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Casper is at the vets Update: both unwell now =(

I love how you say Sophie is feeling better and been up and about followed by 2 photos of a very deep DBF!!!! But I am so pleased that they are doing better, long may it continue!!
Have you tried a grooming block to help with the moult? Made a huge difference to Odin, we could get all the dead hair out so easily without excessive pulling and no chance of scratching.

Sorry I missed the update, yet glad they are both recovery. Was Sophie sedated for x ray? Perhaps that slowed her gut.
Glad casper passed the fur too.
Seeing sophie's dbf would have had me rushing to wake her.
May they continue to improve.

I think Sophie's feeling a little better. She got up and found some breakfast pellets in her play mat, and now she's enjoying some sunshine. :love:

Meanwhile, Casper has been eating everything I offer him, so I think he's feeling better as well.

I'm so sorry, Reader of Books, I missed this thread completely :(
tbh, some posts not in General Chat, Stories& Pics and Rabbit Chat upset me so I don't often look. I really shouldn't do this as people often post in these other forums looking for help & advice.

Poor Sophie & Casper. I am so glad things are improving with them both. xxxx

I love how you say Sophie is feeling better and been up and about followed by 2 photos of a very deep DBF!!!! But I am so pleased that they are doing better, long may it continue!!
Have you tried a grooming block to help with the moult? Made a huge difference to Odin, we could get all the dead hair out so easily without excessive pulling and no chance of scratching.
Haha, well, she was up up and about before the serious DBF! :lol: Thank you for being pleased they're doing better, really.

I'd never heard of a grooming block before, so I looked it up and it looks interesting. Do you just use it the same way as a brush? I'm brushing him with a Zoom Groom every day and it works pretty well, but I'm always open to other ideas if they might work better.

Sorry I missed the update, yet glad they are both recovery. Was Sophie sedated for x ray? Perhaps that slowed her gut.
Glad casper passed the fur too.
Seeing sophie's dbf would have had me rushing to wake her.
May they continue to improve.
Thank you, bunny momma. Sophie was conscious during her x-ray (when I called the vets yesterday they said it went really well, so I don't think that could've hurt her.)
I saw Sophie breathing when she did her DBF, so I knew she was okay. :lol:

I'm so sorry, Reader of Books, I missed this thread completely :(
tbh, some posts not in General Chat, Stories& Pics and Rabbit Chat upset me so I don't often look. I really shouldn't do this as people often post in these other forums looking for help & advice.

Poor Sophie & Casper. I am so glad things are improving with them both. xxxx
Aw, that's okay, Mike. I think it's all right not to read things that upset you. Thank you for being glad things are improving with them. :)

Fantastic, keep going guys!!
The grooming block feels like a lightweight pumice stone. You use it slightly differently to a brush to get the best - use the short ends and keep it at roguth right angles to the animal (or on the corner though this wears them down quicker) and then just stroke. You need to keep the edges fairly sharp but it's easily done by wiping it on end a couple of times over a brick or concrete surface outside. You won't need to sharpen it often for yours though.
You may find it is quite big for little ones like Casper, but you could very easily cut it in half to make a narrow block with a breadknife or fine saw. It does damage easily so store carefully, but they are amazingly good I find. Used to use them for the ponies when I was a kid (which is what made me think of them) but they wear out in a week with their dense coats so I don't bother any more! Just to be sure, this is what I'm talking about - if you have an equestrian shop nearby they would carry them for probably half the price. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINCOLN-bl...ocphy=9045234&hvtargid=pla-466628902036&psc=1

Thank you all for celebrating their doing better today. :love:

Fantastic, keep going guys!!
The grooming block feels like a lightweight pumice stone. You use it slightly differently to a brush to get the best - use the short ends and keep it at roguth right angles to the animal (or on the corner though this wears them down quicker) and then just stroke. You need to keep the edges fairly sharp but it's easily done by wiping it on end a couple of times over a brick or concrete surface outside. You won't need to sharpen it often for yours though.
You may find it is quite big for little ones like Casper, but you could very easily cut it in half to make a narrow block with a breadknife or fine saw. It does damage easily so store carefully, but they are amazingly good I find. Used to use them for the ponies when I was a kid (which is what made me think of them) but they wear out in a week with their dense coats so I don't bother any more! Just to be sure, this is what I'm talking about - if you have an equestrian shop nearby they would carry them for probably half the price. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINCOLN-bl...ocphy=9045234&hvtargid=pla-466628902036&psc=1
Thank you for explaining, dollyanna. It sounds like it could be really helpful, so I'll get one and try it out! I bet it'll last a lot longer with a little bunny than with the ponies. :lol:

Ohhh bunnies, bunnies. Such joy and worry at the same time. They sure know how to scare us. I swear I have not visited vets so much with dogs in 20 years as I did with bunnies in just one year. Wishing you all well. And keep on singing. Practice makes it better :)

Ohhh bunnies, bunnies. Such joy and worry at the same time. They sure know how to scare us. I swear I have not visited vets so much with dogs in 20 years as I did with bunnies in just one year. Wishing you all well. And keep on singing. Practice makes it better :)
They do bring us both joy and worry, you're right! And, yeah, when I look at how often people take their dogs and cats to the vets, I feel like bunnies go a lot more often. Thank you for wishing us well. :love: And, okay, I'll keep practicing my singing. I'll have to get Casper and Sophie some ear plugs until I'm good enough. :lol:

Dollyanna, I wanted to let you know that I got the grooming block and it does remove hair well! But Casper kept wanting to chew/eat it, which made it hard to use. :lol: I'll try it on Sophie, too.

Back