• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus and Clementine stasis.

I suspect it's a combination of factors: Atticus being kinda broken plus the moulting bringing things on to a greater extent, Clementine maybe having a sludge buildup over time, now moulting, now it's all come to a head. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something genetic going on either. Hope they can get themselves going again soon xxx

I suspect it's a combination of factors: Atticus being kinda broken plus the moulting bringing things on to a greater extent, Clementine maybe having a sludge buildup over time, now moulting, now it's all come to a head. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something genetic going on either. Hope they can get themselves going again soon xxx

Probably exactly what's going on tbh. Yea they've both not got good health really. They were bred as show rabbits so that's not exactly great. Clementine would've been pts at 16 weeks for sure anyway and Atticus probably should've died a while ago too tbh. They're 4 now.

I hope so too :( thanks xxx

Thanks everyone, Atticus is springy atm Clementine looks sad tho :( she was zooming earlier tho.. They are so difficult to judge sometimes

Thanks everyone, Atticus is springy atm Clementine looks sad tho :( she was zooming earlier tho.. They are so difficult to judge sometimes

Not suprising when she is giving you zoomies & sad in the same morning. I'm glad boyo is springy. You don't think anything in the joint support could have upset her digestive system? My discussions re: big bunny dosing with Oxbow would appear to suggest glucosamine can cause gastro intestinal upset.

[/B]

Not suprising when she is giving you zoomies & sad in the same morning. I'm glad boyo is springy. You don't think anything in the joint support could have upset her digestive system? My discussions re: big bunny dosing with Oxbow would appear to suggest glucosamine can cause gastro intestinal upset.
Pah! Maybe, Atticus ate one as well because Clementine left the first.. So maybe.. Never even thought about it! Thats the only new thing though, I never gave any since because issues started (given Penelope 2 a day last few days with no issues) if this all passes I'll try Clementine again and if the same thing happens I won't give them to her. Tbh she has a very sensitive gut too. Them two really are best on just hay and twigs I think [emoji51]

Is idea of duretic to make her pee more so she will drink more.? It seems reasonable to use them on a regular basis if the help.
You do an incredible job keeping these two on this side of the bridge.
Could you give her sub q fluids to get her to pee more and help her pass sludge?
There I go again pushing fluids!

Is idea of duretic to make her pee more so she will drink more.? It seems reasonable to use them on a regular basis if the help.
You do an incredible job keeping these two on this side of the bridge.
Could you give her sub q fluids to get her to pee more and help her pass sludge?
There I go again pushing fluids!

Yea basically, to naturally flush the bladder, because having it actually flushed was brutal and she didn't do at all well and it would have needed to be done like every couple of weeks so it wasn't sustainable... But she wasn't really drinking then.. Now she's drinking more.. Every check she had since she was doing okay, but she's due a check now and Idk what we'll find tbh. My vet was worried about the drug damaging her insides long term.

Her and Atticus have been napping together in the lounge and springy, also accepting treats.. So Idk tbh. Atticus has done some bad splats today though.

Honestly it feels like a fight to keep them here sometimes :(

I can do sq fluids for her, with Clementine I tend to try and do minimal stuff though, she's such a sweetheart on her terms but she hates handling and too much going on - although when she needs lots of hands on care she does adjust to it and accept it very quickly.. But yea I don't like to stress her out unless I absolutely have to, unless it's an ongoing thing. I had to weigh her last night to work out loxicom dose and she wasn't very happy about that [emoji38] I got foot flicks [emoji51]

Fluids are definitely very beneficial though! Like it's surprising how much of a difference they can do to gut stasis I think!

Thryre asleep together atm so ima see how they are a bit later, neither has had pain meds since last night, so we'll see how we go and ima get Clementine booked in for her xray ASAP

I am so sorry you are going through this. Poor you and poor them. Hope the vet can advise on Monday.

Lots more vibes for Clementine and Atticus. I'm so sorry it's so hard just to keep them going sometimes. :( You're caring for them so well. I hope when Clementine gets her x-ray it'll tell you what she needs to be more comfortable.

I'm so sorry Atticus and Clementine are poorly. :( Honestly, this is why I won't keep bunnies again, as wonderful as they are. Having them for ten years, collectively, must've taken at least a decade off my own life! :roll:
Many vibes coming your way for their recovery. I empathize with having rabbits who can't do more than hay and twigs. Fiver was such a one and it had to be just timothy hay too, which I am deathly allergic to. If I gave him oat or anything too coarse (always third cut, never first or second) he would blow up like a balloon because he just didn't have enough fluid in his system to help process it and that was with bowl and bottle for water supply which I kept meticulously. He was a mystery. (Mini rex, or course, so always had an appetite but just didn't seem to know when his tank was topped!)

It is not our imagination, fluids are essential for gut health, especially cecum.
Some bunnies get skittish when they need ongoing care, yet most learn to tolerate the care.
Do you give fluids with the set line, or draw it up with a syringe?
It is good to hear your bunnies have each other.

Back