• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting used to grass

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
This might be a really silly question, but I'm growing different kinds of grass now (well, it's not really growing yet), and I wondered if they need to get used to each type separately, or is grass just grass and if they're used to one they're fine with other grasses as well?

This might be a really silly question, but I'm growing different kinds of grass now (well, it's not really growing yet), and I wondered if they need to get used to each type separately, or is grass just grass and if they're used to one they're fine with other grasses as well?

It's really not a silly question :)

In my view (and of course I might be entirely wrong), most 'normal' grass is just grass, with minimal nutritional differences between them. Alfalfa is different, but I suspect you're not growing Alfalfa.

I would just feed them a small selection of all of it from day one. I presume you don't have vast quantities anyway and so the amount they will get each time won't be massive. If you were to go into a meadow and pick a handful of 'grass', there would be several different types. I know this as we have a small 'hay patch' in our back garden and there are probably around 15-20 different grasses. Slightly off subject, but it always surprises me how hay companies can sell just one species of grass hay. How, in an enormous field, do they prevent other species arriving?

It's really not a silly question :)

In my view (and of course I might be entirely wrong), most 'normal' grass is just grass, with minimal nutritional differences between them. Alfalfa is different, but I suspect you're not growing Alfalfa.

I would just feed them a small selection of all of it from day one. I presume you don't have vast quantities anyway and so the amount they will get each time won't be massive. If you were to go into a meadow and pick a handful of 'grass', there would be several different types. I know this as we have a small 'hay patch' in our back garden and there are probably around 15-20 different grasses. Slightly off subject, but it always surprises me how hay companies can sell just one species of grass hay. How, in an enormous field, do they prevent other species arriving?
Oh, I'm glad. :)

I'm not growing Alfalfa, you're right, and, yeah, I don't have a huge amount, so they won't be getting all that much every day anyway. Just feeding them a small selection of all of it sounds like a good idea. Thank you for your advice, Omi. :)

Also, that's a good question! I have no idea... That is weird, when you think about it, that there'd only be that one type of grass growing.

Slightly off subject, but it always surprises me how hay companies can sell just one species of grass hay. How, in an enormous field, do they prevent other species arriving?
I suspect it's like monofloral honey, a balance of probability. Yeah there might be some other stuff in there but not enough to worry about. I expect they plough it up and resow it regularly (unsure how much I like that, don't know enough about farming TBH).

Back