• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbits refusing pellets

Bundozer

Young Bun
Hi everyone, hope all are doing well.

I have 3 rabbits, one being a Continental giant, and as well as good quality hay I have always fed them Burgess excel adult pellets, which they always ambush me for them at feeding time and then wolf them down within minutes. All of a sudden though they have totally gone off the pellets. All three of them, and it’d particularly unusual for the conti as he is always hungry! They are still eating hay, greens and whatever I can forage, but they are all completely avoiding the pellets. They rush to me when I open the door, I put the pellets down and they hop off totally uninterested.

Has anyone ever experienced this? And does anyone know if burgess have changed their recipe at all? Although this started happening half way through a bag so don’t know why they have gone off it half way through? Puzzled...

How long have you had the bag?

They can go a bit stale, I don't use excel anymore but I seem to remember the big bags went stale quickly.

It might be worth trialing mixing them with a small amount of a new bag/different type and see if that makes a difference?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Assuming they are all eating hay, etc, and poo is normal - I would suggest there's something wrong with the pellets (eg damp / moudy). Try a brand new bag and see what happens.

If it was just one avoilding the pellets, I would suggest a vet check, but as all 3 are refusing them, the common factor is the pellets.

Thanks for the advice, will try a new bag and see what happens. Yes eating everything else so poo is normal etc.

How long have you had the bag?

They can go a bit stale, I don't use excel anymore but I seem to remember the big bags went stale quickly.

It might be worth trialing mixing them with a small amount of a new bag/different type and see if that makes a difference?

I have tried science select in the past but they lose so much weight on it, so the burgess seemed to always keep up the weight. What pellets do you use?

Science Select grain free here. My two are teeny though and gain weight with an extra gram a day [emoji1787]

I have a few Rabbits this year (Spring) which are not as keen on their pellets as they are normally. They would rather eat hay and greens. I have put this down to the time of the year as quite a few have gone a bit loopy this year with mounting, thumping, etc. Once the weather starts to warm up hopefully they will calm down and go back to eating their pellets.

I'd agree that if all 3 are refusing there's something wrong with the pellets - any chance of mice getting in and contaminating them?

I have a few Rabbits this year (Spring) which are not as keen on their pellets as they are normally. They would rather eat hay and greens. I have put this down to the time of the year as quite a few have gone a bit loopy this year with mounting, thumping, etc. Once the weather starts to warm up hopefully they will calm down and go back to eating their pellets.

Funny you say that mine have gone loopy a bit too so may be down to the seasons. Foods fresh and i tried a new bag but still not that keen. I got some redigrass and they seemed more keen on that and the hay.

Back