• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Say hi

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, I thought if introduce myself. I’m Clair & I have just taken on 2 neglected rabbits from my mum. Their names are Bella & shadow, both bonded females. They have been stuck in a hutch & sometimes got out in a run. They have been with us 2 days now & we have a big garden where they had their first taste of freedom to free roam. They are both very overweight but are now on a diet. Bella has what I think is mites & it’s awful the condition of her! She has hair loss & bald patches it’s so bad & basically her skin looks like it has severe dandruff. It’s all over her rear back area & she has had it some time. I will try to post pictures here. I was thinking to try treatment you can buy from pets at home as after reading up online & looking at pictures it looks exactly like that or Cheyletiella. I would like to post pics & would really appreciate advice before vets as although I am happy to pay, if it can be treated with bought stuff more cheaply then I will do that. Iv not owned rabbits before but we have 2 guinea pigs. The strange thing is that Bella has this but shadow doesn’t so I thought if mites or a parasite then wouldn’t both have it. I took them because of neglect as my mum knew about the condition but said it was fine!! We can give them freedom to run & also vet care & love.

Hi Clair and welcome! I can't help with the health issues (but someone else will) but congratulations on giving these bunnies a new lease of life!

Hello, and thank you ❤️ Yes I’m really happy I have them now so I can give them what they deserve & hopefully learn along the way here. X

Hi welcome to the forum Clair :wave: well done on taking the two girls on, and offering them a better life. To be honest I would be taking both bunnies for a vet visit, if only for a once over, and also to check the skin condition before self medicating. Have the girls been vaccinated, as this is also important. Good luck and hope they settle in well :)

Hi Clair and another warm welcome to the forum from me. There are lots of friendly people here and lots of help and advice (as well as sometimes lots of fun!).

I too would take them first of all to a rabbit savy vet (post your approx location if you would like recommendations). Another point to mention is whether they have both been spayed. There is a real risk of Uterine Cancer with unspayed Does.

Hi, thank you. Yes definitely they need a vet visit. I managed to clip their nails a bit but as they are dark you can’t see the quick. With the guinea pigs it’s easy as you can see clearly. Iv ordered a Iv light clipper that apparently you can see the quick with. I brushed both & bellas hair is coming out where the condition is xx

Oh sorry I forgot to say that I think they were vaccinated when mum took them off the people who had them before. Both meautered but still need to get to vet as can’t be sure they have been. Xx

Hi, thank you. They have been neauterd by people who had before my mum. I’m sure they have had vaccines also but they are definitely going to vets xx

I’m still trying to use photo hosting sites recommended so will get pics up soon. They are out in garden loving the new lease of freedom. They had a run which was quite big but not big enough. Will also give them house time once they have settled to ho around xx

Back