• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lost claw

touie

Wise Old Thumper
one of my bunnies Niamh lost her claw whilst running round on the carpet yesterday and there was blood everywhere! I was quite worried. She won't let me turn her on her back to look at it though, it seems ok today, she is not worrying about it but I'm worried she might get an infection. should I take her to the vet or just keep an eye out to see if she starts limping? I have never had this happen before! :?

Both of mine have had broken claws in the past, they do tend to bleed lots but they've never had an infection. When its happened I have cleaned the claw though and made extra effort to keep the cage clean for a few days. Bunny claws have a vein quite far down them which is why they bleed so much.

You said she did it on the carpet, if your bun lives in the house and doesn't go outside you may need to clip her claws, theres not much to wear them down on in the house - this may be why she broke it. Your vet can show you how if you've not done it before.

When I first got my two the vet taught me how to pick them up, and sort of flip them over, and hold them in your arms on their back like you would a baby. If you v slightly lower their head they go sort of dopey and you can do almost anything to them. He said it doens't harm them, and I've done it to mine all their lives. Its worth trying so you can look at her claw, and comes in handy for other stuff (checking teeth, eyes, cutting claws, giving drugs etc). If you don't know what I mean let me know and I'll take a pic.

Hope thats helpful.

Bev

Zeus' front claws seem to be a bit brittle and during the summer he jumped over me as I was knelt down and managed to break off two claws as he came down, they snapped off dry luckily and grew back just fine. When I trim their claws I have on a couple of occasions gone too deep, twice with Zeus (his back claws are really tough and very black) and once with Athena.

The first time I too was shocked by the sheer volume of blood and phoned the vet in a panick. He advised dipping the nail in styptic powder or if that is not available flour! The flour has worked on all the bunnies and even the poor GP, it helps stop the bleeding but does mean you then get blood and flour glue all over the place. The bleeding usually stops in an hour or so and the claw grows back just fine.

Caz

Broken claws are not normally a problem, but do keep an eye on it. My rabbit Pippa developped an abcess when she ripped hers out once...

Vera

Back