• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fur barbering in older bonded pair

Trillian

New Kit
Hello

I have 2 female rabbits who are nearly 7 and have been together since they were tiny. Recently Magrathia has been pulling fur from Trillian, to a point where I am fairly certain I'm going to have to separate them, and soon. When they're not chasing each other they are super cuddly together and it seems really awful to split them up. (Also from a practical point of view I only have one hutch, so at least for the short term future one would have to live in the smaller run with a hut in it)

My first question is - is there any way I could avoid this? They have space, they have toys and their food hasn't changed. My only suspicions about the reasons are that a) I saw a fox in the garden a couple of months ago and this could be stressing them out, or b) Maggie had an infection a while back and it's upset the balance of power (although I've only noticed the fur pulling more recently).

My second question is - if I separate them, how long for? Has anyone had success rebonding bunnies?

Are they spayed ? This will effect the likelihood of them being able to remain together or to be reunited should a temporary separation be needed.

Re the recent health problems of one of them, yes, that can disturb the dynamics of an established bond.

No, neither of them are spayed, I assume that's going to make it tricker?

Checked on them this morning, they're lying together and Mag is grooming Trillian nicely. Another site suggested it might be Trillian pulling her own fur (she does make nests sometimes), so it's possible I've misread the situation.

I think, like Bunny Momma says, it might be time to call the exotics vet

Are they spayed ? This will effect the likelihood of them being able to remain together or to be reunited should a temporary separation be needed.

Re the recent health problems of one of them, yes, that can disturb the dynamics of an established bond.

As they are not spayed then the change in behaviour could be indicative of a uterine problem. So contacting a Vet ASAP is essential. Good luck

As they are not spayed then the change in behaviour could be indicative of a uterine problem. So contacting a Vet ASAP is essential. Good luck

Thank you, I will sort that now. Really appreciate the advice, I've had them for so long without problems (beyond digging up the lawn) I've been at a bit of a loss. thanks :)

update...

It turns out it was trillian doing it to herself and the previous vet had missed mites. I mean mites isn't great, but it's treatable and I don't have to split up my dudes :) phew!

Thanks!

Back