• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit hunched and lethargic after a cold night and little fall

bondenwong

New Kit
I'd appreciate anyone's insight - Every morning when I open the hutch the first thing I do is clean it. So this morning I was sweeping the hay out of the room the rabbits sleep in, and one of them (Henry) was moving towards the hay as if he wanted to be near it, which he doesn't usually do. I guess he lost his balance when moving and he didn't manage to catch himself, so he tipped over onto the ramp connecting the two hutch levels. This ramp's at a low angle and only about 30cm high, so I don't think he could've seriously hurt himself. However, once he hopped out into the garden, I noticed he's sitting around with a hunched back which I've never seen him do before. It was quite cold out last night and frosty this morning.

I've never seen flystrike before but I thought maybe he was hunching to hide his bum, so I immediately thought of it and checked him over but his bum is clean and there were no signs of eggs or maggots on his body. I rubbed his bum over with hibiscrub anyway just in case. He's still eating like normal, but as I said is hunched up and not running around like usual, and he's squishing himself right up to the other rabbit at any opportunity. It's hard to be sure whether it could be related to him tipping onto the ramp, because he did seem to be 'off' from the start this morning. Yesterday he was his usual self.

He's had recurring issues with a runny nose and eyes through the years but the last time was about a month ago, and medicine from the vet's for it has always been successful short-term. He's not showing any of those symptoms currently. I'm wondering if his current behaviour could be related to the cold temperatures last night and/or this recurring issue of his, or something else, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for reading. If he's not back to normal within the next few hours he'll go to the vet's, but in the mean time I'd appreciate anyone's help!

Sounds as though he may be in pain. Is he passing poo and wee ? Personally I would get him checked by a Vet this morning.

I would get him checked over by a vet this morning.
Rabbits hide any sign of illness, so if they actually don't look right, there is something wrong.

Are they all vaccinated?

I agree with the other posts. He may have lost his balance because of weakness or pain from illness and his posture is likely pain. Vet asap is advised.

Thank you for everyone's input! So he did seem to improve a bit yesterday, but still I took him to the vets to be on the safe side and they checked his back and limbs, they said there were no problems and he had probably just hurt himself somehow. They noted he had lost a lot of weight which I thought too, but this only became apparent yesterday since he was arching his back out. They gave him a painkiller and sent me home with some more.

Unfortunately, this morning I opened the hutch to find he had passed away. I was obviously shocked and I'm still not sure what the cause could've been. I should say I rehomed them both from a shelter as adults, so I really don't know how old they are. My other rabbit is his normal self, and he has slowly started to become less agile in his movement, so maybe he could've just been getting old. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could've happened? And would it be advised to find the other one a new home now, since he's by himself?

I am sorry for you loss. Was your Rabbit fully vaccinated ? If not then whilst the symptoms dont sound to have been like those of RHD2 it is possible. The other possibility is renal failure. Only a PM would offer a chance of obtaining a definitive cause of death.

Re your remaining Rabbit. If you are unable to adopt a companion for him then can you bring him into the house to live as a House Rabbit ? If not then personally I think he would need to be rehomed.

Again, so sorry for your loss :cry:

Thank you! He was vaccinated, however his top ups were almost due. I'm not sure how exact it is when they say the vaccines last for a year so perhaps it was something to do with that. I will say we almost always have wild rabbits on or closeby to our land, and while they seem okay I don't know if there are maybe other things they can pass on that aren't covered by the annual vaccines. I have on multiple occasions seen a wild rabbit perching up on its hind legs staring at my rabbits, and my rabbits staring back as if they were communicating, so I think there's a possibility of them having had close contact.

Does anyone know other possible causes of the weight loss and whether this could've been the cause? He never showed any symptoms besides his recurring discharge issue, until yesterday when he started arching his back, but I know things like cancer can have sudden consequences. I don't think it could've been related to dental problems because his mouth and teeth were checked regularly by vets and there was never an issue. Maybe it's also worth adding that a few years ago, my other rabbit had a sudden onset of head tilt, the vet diagnosed e. cuniculi and successfully treated him. I'm not sure if something like this could linger on undetected in another rabbit, does anyone know?

Last edited:
Thank you for your help! That could be it. I am reading about it now, Albert (my other rabbit) never had this symptom but hind leg weakness is a symptom of e cuniculi, and Henry (the one who has passed) wasn't stretching his legs out as much as usual when he was running yesterday. It was such a sudden change too, so I don't feel it was a gradual deterioration with age. Just two days ago he was whizzing around me in circles. The renal failure you mentioned is also a symptom. Albert is fine so I don't think the vet would prescribe e cuniculi treatment, but maybe I could go down the preventative route as I think there are products specifically for that.

Thank you for your help! That could be it. I am reading about it now, Albert (my other rabbit) never had this symptom but hind leg weakness is a symptom of e cuniculi, and Henry (the one who has passed) wasn't stretching his legs out as much as usual when he was running yesterday. It was such a sudden change too, so I don't feel it was a gradual deterioration with age. Just two days ago he was whizzing around me in circles. The renal failure you mentioned is also a symptom. Albert is fine so I don't think the vet would prescribe e cuniculi treatment, but maybe I could go down the preventative route as I think there are products specifically for that.

Fenbendazole (Panacur) 20 mg/ kg for 28 days

Panacur is what Albert was given when he had it, I think it was in the 18.75% oral paste form. I'm ordering some now, thanks for your help!

I also do 28 days as standard for EC prone rabbits, and clean thoroughly on days 21 and 28 of treatment. Anything that may have come into contact with urine should be bleached / steamed / treated with other suitable disinfectant (eg Virkon S), machine washed (fleeces, rugs, etc) or disposed of (bedding, litter). This helps to break the lifecycle of the parasite and reduce reinfection risks.

Thank you, I remember that's exactly what Albert was given when he had head tilt. I've ordered some, I'll come back with an update about how Albert's doing.

I'm so very sorry you lost Henry. :( That's so sad. :( I really hope Albert will continue to be fine. Lots of vibes for him.

One thing, though. You mention Albert has slowly become less agile in his movement. You might want to get him checked out and see if he's not hurting from arthritis or anything else. Also, I agree with IM that if you can't adopt a new friend for him or move him inside it would be kinder to find a home for him where he can have a friend again.

Back