• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven needs vibes dental 1/10/22 post 232

Have you had a feel along his mandible for any lumpiness ? How is he within himself ?

No lumpiness. He evan had skull x-ray when he had dental and nothing found. He begged for a treat stick,they are hard, and only nibbled a tiny bit before leaving it. He did not eat his pellets., yet he does not eat many even when well. When I watched him earlier he was not sitting as alert as usual,and he felt cooler than usual when I gave him meds and that is opposite of last few days.
I do not know what to do. His output is hard-not as friable-and not as large, though it is coming out . His stomach is not full or hard,no gas. his cecum does not feel doughy or hard. He was not getting abx when this began.
Other than not eating or drinking normally, his only other symptoms are his peeing everywhere.
Yesterday was his six year gotcha day, he will be seven in november-so he is not old .

Last edited:
If he is weeing a lot and has lost his litter tray training then a UTI or EC are possibilities. Could you get a urine sample and get it tested ?

It almost seems 'standard practice' in the US, human or animal :(

I hope Raven picks up or, at least, doesn't get any worse before Tuesday :( Big hugs xx

Antibiotics are used excessively in livestock industry. The pet vets and human doctors near me are much more conservative now.

He does a lot of rapid breathing that makes him look nervous/ shakey-stress,pain,side effect of meds? There is nearby roadwork that makes ground feel like it is slightly vibrating, even inside and it was all night too.

I think I would give the Vet a call and try to obtain a telephone consultation even if they cannot see Raven until next week. I have never seen a Rabbit develop side effects to Metacam, Cisipride or Metoclopramide but every Rabbit is different. The Metacam dose is very low, but I know US Vets seldom seem to use the higher dose rates. At least that is how it appears from what I read on FB.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/drug-focus-meloxicam/

Rapid breathing can be a symptom of hypervolemia caused by giving too much Fluid Therapy.

I think I would give the Vet a call and try to obtain a telephone consultation even if they cannot see Raven until next week. I have never seen a Rabbit develop side effects to Metacam, Cisipride or Metoclopramide but every Rabbit is different. The Metacam dose is very low, but I know US Vets seldom seem to use the higher dose rates. At least that is how it appears from what I read on FB.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/drug-focus-meloxicam/

Rapid breathing can be a symptom of hypervolemia caused by giving too much Fluid Therapy.
Thanks Jane.
Yes, he is on the lower medicam dose. He had double current dose several days after his dental. I worry about more when his drinking is not normal, though he is getting sub q fluids.
He is more active today.

Last edited:
Raven needs lots of vibes.

Last weekend he was improving , washing, more active , eating some more on his own between syringe feeds meds, so monday I called vet to discuss sedating him for xray and bloods. He needed more blood than he could get conscious from his tiny veins-other than for glucose which he did not need. Vet and I spoke and decided he was improving so we did not want to sedate him Tuesday, since he was doing better.
He even ate a treat stick piece and a small amounts of pellets yesterday along with taking critical care and eating a little hay and few dandelion leaves overnight. He was also drinking a few ounces of water each day after getting a couple ounces of sub q fluids. So his hydration was good.

He got usual meds before I took spouse for eye procedure today. When we got back it was early afternoon and I did not want to to bother his rest. At 4pm I started to give him care and his ears,nose,lips,eye rims are very pale.
My vet at professional development, and not in office until tuesday-monday labor day. I called other vets who do bunnies and none were working. The emergency vet does not accept bunnies today since no bunny vet, and the only other option is the emergency dept of vet school /hospital two hours drive.

He took syringe feeds, his breathing is faster,yet not labored. I tried to use stethescope to listen to lungs-no crackles or fluid, just fast. His heart was strong, yet fast too. He had gut sounds-few bubbles and he passed some smaller poos than were in his litterbox during syringe feeds. His area was cleaned and he made medium sized poo and a little pee right away. He was still nibbling some hay/greens and not lethargic. He may be retaining a little fluid, so no sub q tonight.

Please send vibes he will remain stable or improves and I can find a vet to diagnose him tomorrow.

Please send

Raven needs lots of vibes.

Last weekend he was improving , washing, more active , eating some more on his own between syringe feeds meds, so monday I called vet to discuss sedating him for xray and bloods. He needed more blood than he could get conscious from his tiny veins-other than for glucose which he did not need. Vet and I spoke and decided he was improving so we did not want to sedate him Tuesday, since he was doing better.
He even ate a treat stick piece and a small amounts of pellets yesterday along with taking critical care and eating a little hay and few dandelion leaves overnight. He was also drinking a few ounces of water each day after getting a couple ounces of sub q fluids. So his hydration was good.

He got usual meds before I took spouse for eye procedure today. When we got back it was early afternoon and I did not want to to bother his rest. At 4pm I started to give him care and his ears,nose,lips,eye rims are very pale.
My vet at professional development, and not in office until tuesday-monday labor day. I called other vets who do bunnies and none were working. The emergency vet does not accept bunnies today since no bunny vet, and the only other option is the emergency dept of vet school /hospital two hours drive.

He took syringe feeds, his breathing is faster,yet not labored. I tried to use stethescope to listen to lungs-no crackles or fluid, just fast. His heart was strong, yet fast too. He had gut sounds-few bubbles and he passed some smaller poos than were in his litterbox during syringe feeds. His area was cleaned and he made medium sized poo and a little pee right away. He was still nibbling some hay/greens and not lethargic. He may be retaining a little fluid, so no sub q tonight.

Please send vibes he will remain stable or improves and I can find a vet to diagnose him tomorrow.

Please send
Awww so sorry to hear poor little Raven is not so good today [emoji22]

I am sending heaps of ealing vibes and bunny love from Mischief and Lillabelle [emoji178][emoji178][emoji178][emoji178]

I really hope you can get him to a vet tomorrow and the visit gives positive results xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I really felt so sorry for Raven. I hope Raven gets better before the holidays are over. I'm sending too many vibrations for raven xxxxxxx

Awww so sorry to hear poor little Raven is not so good today [emoji22]

I am sending heaps of ealing vibes and bunny love from Mischief and Lillabelle [emoji178][emoji178][emoji178][emoji178]

I really hope you can get him to a vet tomorrow and the visit gives positive results xx

Thank you. He made good poo,just a bit firm since he was fed, they are normal medium brown,no blood. Spouse just came to kitchen to give him few more dandelion laaves because he ate few he got earlier.
I wish I knew how much antacid to give in case ulcer-though no visible sign of blood in stool.
Though at this point not know if pale skin color from bleed, circulation or oxygenation.
Even if I can have him examined tomorrow I do not know if his condition can be addressed.
You and many on ru understand.

I really felt so sorry for Raven. I hope Raven gets better before the holidays are over. I'm sending too many vibrations for raven xxxxxxx

Thank you. He was improving and now I blame myself for not having him sedated for testing this past Tuesday or not having more done during his dental three weeks ago other than skull x-ray. I feel like it is my fault we are in this situation.

Thank you. He made good poo,just a bit firm since he was fed, they are normal medium brown,no blood. Spouse just came to kitchen to give him few more dandelion laaves because he ate few he got earlier.
I wish I knew how much antacid to give in case ulcer-though no visible sign of blood in stool.
Though at this point not know if pale skin color from bleed, circulation or oxygenation.
Even if I can have him examined tomorrow I do not know if his condition can be addressed.
You and many on ru understand.
I can't give you any advice of what to do regarding how much antacid to give etc but the fact he has no blood in his stools is good news.

I continue to hope that everything turns out ok from the vet visit.

Sending more vibes and will be thinking of little Raven today [emoji178][emoji178][emoji178][emoji178][emoji178]

Thank you. He was improving and now I blame myself for not having him sedated for testing this past Tuesday or not having more done during his dental three weeks ago other than skull x-ray. I feel like it is my fault we are in this situation.

Really we all go through this but you have to think about it. You did it for him own good at that moment, because you believed it was the right decision for him. You don't do what you think is not right for him, so that's what you needed for the moment. But like life, tomorrow and the future are variable, so decisions and needs also change. You made this decision because you believed and felt it was right for the moment, but now the situation has changed and you will make new appropriate decisions. We should not forget that sometimes we make a decision at that moment in life, we are not astrologers, we cannot see the future. At that moment you decided that you needed it and that was true for the moment, you can't know the future. Don't push yourself too hard, you always make decisions for your rabbit that you think are right for his well-being at that moment, this may be right for today, tomorrow will be a new situation then you will make new decisions.

You must not blame yourself. It may be that you made the right decisions back then but either way dwelling on the past will not help Raven now.

Raven has the best mummy and you are doing everything you can for him. Think positively as those great vibes will brush on to Raven and help him fight whatever is going on. Please be kind to yourself. Best of luck later today [emoji173]

Poor Raven. Personally I would stop SQ fluids. I think I mentioned hyper infusion leading to hypervolemia in a previous post.

Pale skin is also a symptom of hypervolemia

I hope you are able to locate a Vet who will see him. Sending lots of vibes.

Last edited:
Poor Raven. Personally I would stop SQ fluids. I think I mentioned hyper infusion leading to hypervolemia in a previous post.

Pale skin is also a symptom of hypervolemia

I hope you are able to locate a Vet who will see him. Sending lots of vibes.
Thanks Jane. I remembered and cut down as he began drinking. He has not had any fluid since wed night. Even after fluids he drank a few ounces..
He is eating some dandelion greens and nibbling hay. He will get syringe fed before I go to sleep-it is almost 4am.
Also he is making enough poo that I will stop cisapride.
I have to call when vets open because my regular vet is off.
He will not be due for medicam for 12 hours, so I hope I can get stomach protector before then.

Last edited:
Back