• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a rabbit!

Bigbunnybella

Young Bun
Meant to spend today calling round a few local rescue centres to see if I could find a suitable friend for Bella.
One thing and another I didn’t have time.
Then this evening someone tagged me in a fb post, a lady picked up a rabbit on the side of a busy road and didn’t know what to do with it.
So it’s here!
Obviously it’s a pet, so both myself and the lady who found it have put posts on the local pages. Not detailed or with photos. If someone’s genuinely lost one they will be able to give a description.
What else can I do?

Of course what I’m hoping is that it’s fate and is unclaimed and becomes Bellas best friend!

More realistically someone’s devastated over loosing one so any owner finding tips will be gratefully received.

You might want to take the bunny to a vet to see if they're microchipped. Not many people microchip their rabbits, but it's worth a shot.

I agree with reader of books and checking to see if the bunny does have a chip.
That said, fate sometimes has a very peculiar way of playing a hand and you are doing absolutely the right thing by putting notices about. But there is always that possibility that you may get a new friend for Bella. But for the moment, your new lodger will feel very safe if a little uneasy, in its new surroundings but by giving the rabbit safety, sanctuary and love and care, you are already emotionally stabilising the rabbit.

I would definitely try the vet.

My neighbour brought me a bunny they found wondering under their cars last year. A very hungry boy!

I called the vets and they were kind enough to do an out of hours health check and scan for a microchip for him.

Luckily he was a healthy if very wiffy mature boy. However his scent upset our two very much and he needed to be quarantined as well as his vaccine status was unknown.

The local rspca had space for him so we gave him up with a donation of food and toys but i still think of him often.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

It's definitely worth checking for a microchip - some rescues and Pets at Home chip their rabbits, so it is more common than it used to be.

Local FB groups are very useful for lost / found pets - word gets round quickly. I would also put up some posters in the streets around where it was found, especially neer supermarkets and schools - kids will see thse and may know who it belongs to.

Bunny could have escaped or been dumped, so it may not be from where it was found, although it's likely to be local. Legally, you have to make attempts to find the owner before you can keep it.

Failing that, welcome to your new home, lucky bunny.

Ok, big developments!
Owners been found, confirmed by photographs.
I was a bit disappointed, it’s a very sweet rabbit.
Spoke to them to arrange getting him home. Turns out he’s a young, 2 in May buck who’s already been neutered and is desperate for a new home.... 🎉
How incredibly weird is that!
Obviously he’s staying!

Ok, big developments!
Spoke to them to arrange getting him home. Turns out he’s a young, 2 in May buck who’s already been neutered and is desperate for a new home.... ��
Obviously he’s staying!

Yay that is excellent news.

The Universe has been looking out for that little bunny today, and he's found his way to you :thumb:

Absolutely brilliant!! You don't think they released him because they didn't want him do you? Given that he "desperately" needed a new home? :(

Isn’t it strange!
I can’t quite believe it. I don’t feel at all guilty about looking for another little buck either because I didn’t have to “replace” Jonny.
So pleased and looking forward to getting to know him. Apparently he’s super cuddly and very well handled. I’ve literally let him hop into the run and left him quietly for now.
So now Bella is almost 5 months which I think is old enough to spay and I imagine vets are back to normal from today so it’s all systems go! 🎉

Absolutely brilliant!! You don't think they released him because they didn't want him do you? Given that he "desperately" needed a new home? :(

I don’t think so no. It was them that replied to the advert to arrange collection. Apparently he’d been staying with a friend while they moved and found him a permanent home and he escaped from there. Who knows though, he will have a nice home now anyway!

Ok, big developments!
Spoke to them to arrange getting him home. Turns out he’s a young, 2 in May buck who’s already been neutered and is desperate for a new home.... 🎉
Obviously he’s staying!

How lucky for all of you. What an incredible way to acquire a friend for Bella.:love:

Fate really played its hand here. Fantastic news. He’s a very lucky bunny to have found you and Bella will be absolutely excited to have a special friend now.

I don’t think so no. It was them that replied to the advert to arrange collection. Apparently he’d been staying with a friend while they moved and found him a permanent home and he escaped from there. Who knows though, he will have a nice home now anyway!

I originally though he was let go too because I adopted a bunny who was 'found' in someone's yard yet wondered if the people who found him just did not want to admit he was theirs and they did not want him anymore.
It is unlikely they would have replied to the ad if they were the ones who let him go. Perhaps they could not take him to their new home. They also may have simply saw how much joy he gave you and realized they did not have the time or space to give him the attention he deserves. He is so lucky to have found you.

Back